Two Japanese movies I pray will make it on Criterion

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-04, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of various japanese movies that I have been waiting forever for on DVD. There are so many, but the following are my favorite two that seem to have very little support and aren't very well known... In my opinion they are both examples of phenomenal flim-making and warrant a Criterion release or at least a well done DVD release...

Sansho the Bailiff

VHS Version

and

Heaven and Earth

VHS Version

Is there any other interest out there or am I relatively alone here?
Old 03-28-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you totally about SANSHO, but I have yet to see HEAVEN & EARTH (which I have heard isn't all that great), but I would also add other Mizoguchi classics like THE LIFE OF OHARU and UGETSU MONOGATARI.
Old 03-28-04, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to add the Guinea Pig movies to the Criterion wish list
Old 03-28-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've got the laser of Heaven and Earth but would love a DVD. It's been awhile since I've seen it but remember it being a good movie.
Old 03-28-04, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Criterion has announced through various chat channels that they plan on releasing some Mizoguchi this year or next, so there's a good possibility we could see some of these titles soon.
Old 03-28-04, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rexinnih
I've got the laser of Heaven and Earth but would love a DVD. It's been awhile since I've seen it but remember it being a good movie.
They have it on DVD already

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 03-28-04, 07:29 PM

um, wrong Heaven and Earth chemosh...
Old 03-28-04, 07:32 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Sansho the Bailiff is such an obvious candidate for the CC, that its not even worth recommending to them. There is no way they won't release the film. It is a question of "when", not "if". But it couldn't hurt to express our impatience to them, could it?

Personally, I'm more concerned about films like The Naked Island, Kuroneko, The Ballad of Narayama (the Kinoshita version, a no-brainer for a double-bill with the Imamura), Page of Madness, or any Mikio Naruse. Not to mention any other rarely seen classics from the 30s and 40s...most of these films have little to no exposure here in the US, with only Narayama and two of Naruse's films having a video release.

If Criterion can give Il Posto, I Fidanzati, Salvatore Giuliano, I Am Curious (Blue), and other rarely-seen foreign films exposure...surely they can do the same with some rarely seen Japanese classics.
Old 03-28-04, 08:32 PM

With regards to Criterion releasing some Mizoguchi titles this year, I received the following email reply from Jon Mulvaney last week:
No Mizoguchi films appear on our current production schedule. Hopefully sometime in the future.
So we may have to wait until 2005. [Note that two Mizoguchi films are being released by Artificial Eye (R2 PAL/UK) on April 26th: The Life of Oharu and The Lady of Musashino.]

I'm with Der Zorn Gottes in wanting releases of Mikio Naruse's films on DVD. Also I'd like to see some Nagisa Oshima, Susumu Hani, and more Shohei Imamura and Kon Ichikawa.
Old 03-28-04, 10:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Gojira
Old 03-28-04, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Gojira Criterion is a distinct possibility, since Rialto is re-releasing it to theatres this year, and Criterion has released a great number of Rialto theatrical releases (The Third Man, Rififi, Le Cercle Rouge, the upcoming Battle of Algiers and A Woman is a Woman, etc.)

Last edited by jough; 03-28-04 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-28-04, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Rialto is also releasing Bresson's "Au Hasard Balthazar" which I would LOVE to see put out by the Criterion Collection.
Old 03-28-04, 10:52 PM

I've been waiting for Heaven and Earth forever it seems. I can't wait till they release that on DVD. Wish they would hurry up

Z
Old 03-29-04, 01:01 AM

From Criterion chat with Lee Kline:
Lee Kline: As for Mizoguchi, we will begin work on UGETSU sometime soon. I personally would like to see STREET OF SHAME on the schedule, but that's not happening just yet.
Old 03-29-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by chemosh6969
They have it on DVD already

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
That's the Oliver Stone one, pointed out already, the one we're talking about is a Japanese movie. Good one if you get a chance to see it.
Old 03-29-04, 08:47 AM

Not a Criterion but Oshima's Taboo is on DVD. I remember I saw it a few years a good. Great flick, astounding cinematography. Although you're probably talking about his older movies, it's nice to know at least one of his flicks in on DVD in North America.
Old 03-29-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
The Naked Island
I'd also love to see this one in the CC. How's the current Japanese DVD of it? My mother-in-law will be visiting from Japan in a month, and I'm torn between getting her to bring this over, or Nausicaa.

Edit: just saw the R1 release dates for Nausicaa, Porco Rosso and Totoro, so I guess I'll hold off on those for now.
Old 03-31-04, 07:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Gojira Criterion is a distinct possibility, since Rialto is re-releasing it to theatres this year, and Criterion has released a great number of Rialto theatrical releases (The Third Man, Rififi, Le Cercle Rouge, the upcoming Battle of Algiers and A Woman is a Woman, etc.)
When asked about a DVD release of Gojira during a recent interview with HenshinOnline, Rialto's Bruce Goldstein had this to say:

"It's too early to say about that - any decisions regarding video are way down the line. At this time, we only have US theatrical and non-theatrical (not home video) distribution rights to GODZILLA."

Read the entire interview at henshinonline.com.
Old 03-31-04, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Also from that interview:
H!O: How many prints of the movie are being struck?

BG: We're starting low -- maybe two or three prints. More will added if the demand warrants it.
So that means that it can only be showing in three theatres at a time? And that they'll be passed along to the next venue after they've played out at one theatre?

Eww... better hope your city sees it early, then, because if you're not going to see it until September or October the print will be nice and scratched up by then.
Old 04-01-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Deal me in on any future release of Heaven and Earth. Blasphemy perhaps but I think it is a far more entertaining film than Kurosawa's Ran.

The TV version of "Heaven and Earth" runs about 1:40 if I recall correctly. IMDb.com lists a much longer runtime. Was it a miniseries when it first aired in Japan? If so, give us the longer version on DVD please.
Old 04-01-04, 07:41 PM

I just want CC releases of Seppuku and Yukinojo henge . Like they're doing with Ozu's Floating Weeds , I want the 1935 version in a 2 disc set.

I can only dream.
Old 04-01-04, 09:24 PM

How do you guys watch these foreign movies? Im guessing you watch the subtitles but how can you stand to read during a movie. I couldnt do it. Requires to much work i just want to relax and enjoy without having to think to much.
Old 04-01-04, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Hubcap, you should use a little icon when you post something sarcastic like that - otherwise people will think you're serious.
Old 04-01-04, 09:31 PM

Ha, well whos to say im not serious? =)
Old 04-02-04, 07:34 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Hubcap
How do you guys watch these foreign movies? Im guessing you watch the subtitles but how can you stand to read during a movie. I couldnt do it. Requires to much work i just want to relax and enjoy without having to think to much.
I guess some of us can read more quickly than you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.