Blake's 7 US release?

Community
Search

Blake's 7 US release?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blake's 7 US release?

Any rumors of a US release of Blake's 7? And would they likely use the newly restored UK masters, or the POS VHS masters they were threatening to release to North America in late '02?
Old 03-25-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is also worth noting that B7 Enterprises hold the rights to, and are working on, a revival version of the series. It is a 4-hour miniseries that brings back Paul Darrow as Avon, and makes him the focal point of "a rebellion reborn". They are the sole owner of the rights to the old series as well, and certainly they will want to make sure that a DVD set of the original series is available in time for a marketing tie-in to the new version...but that's not planned to be broadcast any sooner than the Spring of 2005. It could be possible that they are not in a hurry to get the original show's DVD set to market any sooner than that. We might be in for a long wait.
More info here
Old 03-25-04, 06:56 AM

already available in the UK

They're already selling season 1 in the UK, mastered from restored elements, so I'm wondering why no North American announcement.
Old 03-25-04, 11:10 AM
Suspended

There was talk about a year ago, but it seems to have fallen off the radar. And you , frankly it's a good thing. There were no extras to speak of, and the WHOLE series - all 52 episodes - were going to be released in one 10 disc package. The compression on that would have been horrific.

No, just get the UK discs. Even with the mastering defect in the first run, you'll be better off in the long term.
Old 03-25-04, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
No, just get the UK discs. Even with the mastering defect in the first run, you'll be better off in the long term.
Oh yeah? What happened?
Old 04-15-04, 07:50 PM

any new news on the DVD for us US guys.
Old 04-16-04, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by aynrandgirl
Oh yeah? What happened?
On every layer change (which happened about half an hour into the second episode of the disc), a great many players hang up, freeze, drop to the main DVD menu - or like mine - skip ahead 45 seconds or so. One player I could dismiss, but all my region free players had problems, and I've heard complaints from others too.

The set hasnt been recalled yet, but the BBC is pondering what to do about the problem.

Which reminds me, I'd better go shake some trees and see if I can dig up any news about a repressing.
Old 04-16-04, 01:33 AM

Quick note - Paul Darrow has severed his ties with Mark Sewell, and it`s very unlikely that the new series will ever be made.

Probably a good thing - I`m a big fan of the original series, and the notion that it could all get spoiled à la `Cocoon 2` or the `Highlander`sequels makes my skin crawl.
Old 06-10-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Needs a recall or R1 release for sure.

Haven't seen any word on a R1 or recall yet. Man...seems like I search for the same stuff year after year without much luck. Stuff that i'd never want to see again gets the royal treatment while Blake's 7 gets forgotten and shelved.