Community
Search

More Duran Duran to DVD - Arena/Sing Blue Silver

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 12:01 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Duran Duran to DVD - Arena/Sing Blue Silver

These come out in two weeks in the UK, a little over a month in the US.

Arena

Sing Blue Silver

And from
http://www.duranduran.com/

Duran Return to "Arena"; Two DVDs planned for summer release
Duran Return to "Arena"

Two DVDs planned for summer release

A pair of Duran Duran films from the classic days will be issued for the first time on DVD on May 4th, both augmented with bonus material. Arena and Sing Blue Silver follow last year's Greatest, which compiled Duran's videos, a set that has since been certified platinum.

Arena captures a 1984 performance by DD in Oakland during the world tour of the same name. Hardly a basic tour film, the Russell Mulcahy-directed Arena fuses the concert with footage with a live-action narrative in an odd self-referential manner that includes actor Milo O'Shea, who portrayed the character in the Jane Fonda vehicle Barbarella, from whom the band took its name.

The Arena DVD will be packaged with a documentary about the making of the film, an interview with singer Simon LeBon and additional extras. The Arena CD has also been updated for reissue, with the ten-song original padded with two additional cuts, "Girls on Film" and "Rio."

Also set for release is Sing Blue Silver, a behind the scenes documentary filmed throughout the three-month Arena tour. The DVD will include behind-the-scenes material as well as performance footage mixed in 5.1 surround sound.

The 1984 Arena Tour looked to be the last hurrah for the classic Duran Duran lineup -- LeBon, keyboardist Nick Rhodes, bassist John Taylor, guitarist Andy Taylor and drummer Roger Taylor. The group appeared at Live Aid (which, coincidentally, will also be released on DVD this winter) in 1985, after which Roger and Andy Taylor departed, with John leaving in 1996. Though LeBon and Rhodes continued as Duran Duran, all five members didn't record or perform together until last year, when the group announced plans for a tour and a new album.

Too bad "When The Lights Go Down," the version of the concert without the interstitials, isn't on there.
Old 03-20-04, 12:14 PM
Banned

My god, DD fans are really lucky.

When will Madonna get off her ass and release her concerts like this. I applaud you people. Crank up your system and enjoy.
Old 03-20-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sing Blue Silver sounded great on VHS. (well...FOR VHS that is...) I'm excited to hear how it sounds in 5.1!!
Old 03-20-04, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
When will Madonna get off her ass and release her concerts like this.
Tell me about it. My mum's been wanting a video or DVD of the Blonde Ambition tour ever since the tour itself (a decade ago at least), but it's never been released in any format.
Old 03-20-04, 12:39 PM
Banned

Sorry to hijack but I have both the France and Japan shows on DVD.