Search

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And finally my DVDs... Or what I like to call, "Why I drive used cars."

and the boxes decorating the DVDs...

Last edited by mikewendt; 06-03-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt
And finally my DVDs... Or what I like to call, "Why I drive used cars."
You have way too many DVDs to justify that crappy little TV. Start selling your blood and get something worthy of that collection of yours.
Old 05-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by madcougar
You have way too many DVDs to justify that crappy little TV. Start selling your blood and get something worthy of that collection of yours.
Yeah, I cannot for the life of me understand people that buy absolutely ridiculous amounts of DVD, likely spending ridiculous amounts of money, yet they watch them on a little tiny TV where they cannot even get the full potential of the beaty of DVD. And this is coming from someone that once had a little crappy TV, DVDs are a waste if you can't take advantage of the beauty of DTS, widescree etc etc.

Do yourself a favor man, can't back on the DVDs & buy yourself a a good TV.

All those DVDs, all that money & you can't even listen to them with the proper audio. It's a DVD crime I say.
Old 05-10-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty much in the same boat as mikewendt. I've got a rather large collection (800+), and am still using my Sony 21" Trinitron that I've had since the mid90's.

This will change in a few months, and by Aug, Sept, I should have a Sony KV36HS510 (36" HD Tube), and a decent 6.1 system (prob. Onkyo). I'll post pictures when all that's set up. Until then, I'm kinda embarrassed.
Old 05-10-04, 07:04 PM

What picture is there a small crappy tv?
Old 05-10-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ignition
What picture is there a small crappy tv?

was on the page before.
Old 05-10-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What he said!
Old 05-10-04, 07:48 PM

I knew I was gonna catch shit for the TV... So you all know, I'm in the process of moving, last stretch of paper work is around the corner. And I already have a nice big Sony WS TV and surround sound set up, all picked out... There just isn't the space in the room I have right now for it, so I have to suffer for 1 more month with what I got... And the used car coment was just a joke... The collection isn't really killing me finacially... I know you were all concered.
Old 05-10-04, 08:00 PM

Good to hear! Be sure to post pics of the new setup when you get settled.
Old 05-10-04, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Yeah, I cannot for the life of me understand people that buy absolutely ridiculous amounts of DVD, likely spending ridiculous amounts of money, yet they watch them on a little tiny TV where they cannot even get the full potential of the beaty of DVD.
Not everyone cares about picture and sound quality. I like DVDs because (1) they take up less space than VHS, (2) have extra features, and (3) don't require rewinding. I have 200 DVDs and am happy watching them on a 20" TV using the internal speakers.
Old 05-10-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mike, I used to have that exact same TV!
Old 05-10-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by illennium
Not everyone cares about picture and sound quality. I like DVDs because (1) they take up less space than VHS, (2) have extra features, and (3) don't require rewinding. I have 200 DVDs and am happy watching them on a 20" TV using the internal speakers.
That's like having a girlfriend with a great can and saying you date her because she has pretty eyes.... it doesn't make sense to a male like me.
Old 05-10-04, 08:56 PM

Hey mike, I've got that exact same DVD rack you've got on the right, I bought mine from walmart and built it wrong or something because I've got to lean it up against a wall or else it falls over =/

About the TV.. I've got a 25" TV and that's plenty for me, pretty much all I have room for. All I have as of now are the two speakers on the TV but I'm cutting back on them for the next few weeks to get a HTIB from Walmart but hey, $200 is about all I can afford (I'm 16 working after school). It's got to be better than these speakers on the TV
Old 05-10-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's like having a girlfriend with a great can and saying you date her because she has pretty eyes.... it doesn't make sense to a male like me.
Yeah, I completely agree. But more importantly, for someone like that guy who has 200 DVDs, he is clearly a film lover, yet he cannot watch a good majority of his DVDs in the audio they were filmed with in the proper aspect ratio they were meant to be seen. I simply don't get the point of spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on DVDs yet you cannot utilize the full capacity of the product. And as a movie fan, it makes even less sense. And I was one of those people for my first 40-50 DVDs, then I realized, "you know what, this is retarded spending hundreds of dollars on these things, yet I can't even enjoy DTS surround sound, & can't take advantage o anamorphic widescreen, I'm paying for this stuff & I can't even use it.

To anyone that thinks othewise, you are severaly kidding yourself. Showing off a ton of DVDs without he proper equipments is just showing off a bunch of pointless product. If you are a true cinema fan, it's a no brainer conclusion that you would want to watch the films you love in the best possible quality.
Old 05-11-04, 07:22 AM

Just anime DVD's for me.

Old 05-11-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice anime collection Ollin
Old 05-14-04, 01:31 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ollin
Impressive anime collection!!!

What's the four similarly looking boxes on the top second shelf in the middle rack in the pic above? I'm not positive but it looks like Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi.
Old 05-14-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by eau
Impressive anime collection!!!

What's the four similarly looking boxes on the top second shelf in the middle rack in the pic above? I'm not positive but it looks like Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi.
Yup that is Aoi those are R2 (Japanese) boxes the first two are from the first season the next two are from Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi.
Old 05-14-04, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Click for full size

My meager (compared to many here) dvd collection.

Tv is a 27inch Samsung EDTV (480p) with a service hack to enable 1080i. My dvd player is progressive, but it wont scale to 1080i. Always wanted to pick one of those up, but since I'll be moving out of country for grad school in a few months, the TV will be staying here.

And on that topic, does anyone have any suggestions for moving all those dvds to Japan? I don't care if its by boat and takes 2 months. As long as they can be sent cheap. I'll probably end up packing them in about 3 or 4 medium sized boxes, unless anyone can offer insight into a better suggestion. I couldnt make it through the next 6 years without my preciouses.
Old 05-14-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by eddyjackson
And on that topic, does anyone have any suggestions for moving all those dvds to Japan? I don't care if its by boat and takes 2 months. As long as they can be sent cheap. I'll probably end up packing them in about 3 or 4 medium sized boxes, unless anyone can offer insight into a better suggestion. I couldnt make it through the next 6 years without my preciouses.
How about just using DVD binders and storing the cases elsewhere?
Old 05-14-04, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

I was planning on bringing most of the dvds in binders, and then the shipping part would just be for the cases themselves and the extras discs. I needs my cases! :P
Old 05-14-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eddyjackson

Click for full size

My meager (compared to many here) dvd collection.

Tv is a 27inch Samsung EDTV (480p) with a service hack to enable 1080i. My dvd player is progressive, but it wont scale to 1080i. Always wanted to pick one of those up, but since I'll be moving out of country for grad school in a few months, the TV will be staying here.

Great collection!!! Just one question what camera did you use to take the pic? It looks great.
Old 05-14-04, 07:17 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks! I used a Canon S50, though I think I could get a much clearer picture out of it (I could have probably done without the flash, reducing the glare significatly, also a bit of JPG compression really washes out the colors on a picture like that) I kind of rushed it.
Old 05-15-04, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Yeah, I completely agree. But more importantly, for someone like that guy who has 200 DVDs, he is clearly a film lover, yet he cannot watch a good majority of his DVDs in the audio they were filmed with in the proper aspect ratio they were meant to be seen. I simply don't get the point of spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on DVDs yet you cannot utilize the full capacity of the product. And as a movie fan, it makes even less sense. And I was one of those people for my first 40-50 DVDs, then I realized, "you know what, this is retarded spending hundreds of dollars on these things, yet I can't even enjoy DTS surround sound, & can't take advantage o anamorphic widescreen, I'm paying for this stuff & I can't even use it.

To anyone that thinks othewise, you are severaly kidding yourself. Showing off a ton of DVDs without he proper equipments is just showing off a bunch of pointless product. If you are a true cinema fan, it's a no brainer conclusion that you would want to watch the films you love in the best possible quality.
Wow. I have a receiver, so I enjoy true surround sound, but I still watch all my dvds on a regular old 20-inch, and I'm certainly not kidding myself.

Of course I'm concerned about image quality and all that, but while I'm on a limited budget, I'd much rather spend the money on more DVDs that I can enjoy, seeing as the tv isn't hindering my enjoyment at all. At some point I'll certainly upgrade my whole system, but, really, the movies are what matter to me, not the tv.
Old 05-15-04, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the reason why I think most people rationalize spending more on software than their hardware:
DVDs go OOP, become harder to find as time goes by; but the opposite occurs with hardware as TVs improve in quality and fall in price in the long run. There is no guarantee that the DVD out today may be around in the long run but the TVs and receivers definitely will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.