Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Is Too Much $$ for a DVD

What's your opinion on how much is too much money for a DVD

Barebones widescreen
or
Special Editions
or
Box Sets

I'm new to collecting and want to get an idea of good price ranges so i dont get ripped off buying dvds from different stores in my area when i could have gotten them cheaper
Old 03-10-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Retail is too much.

Use dvdpricesearch to get ideas of prices.
Old 03-10-04, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It mainly depends upon the movie more than anything else. In general though I usually try to get in around 30-40% off new retail and won't pay more than $15 for used (usually $10 is my limit though unless I really want in, which if that's the case I've usually already bought it new ).
Old 03-10-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a normal rule i dont pay more than the following:

Barebones-$15

Special Edition (up to 2 discs)- $20

Box set- $60
Old 03-10-04, 05:16 PM

Aye, retail is too much. Many retail stores sell normal DVDs for $19.99 -- which is fine if you don't want to wait. But many online sellers offer free (media mail) with orders and their DVDs are often much much lower. Some stores are silly enough to sell DVDs at msrp and expect to turn a profit.

Example: The Godfather Collection

Amazon -- $79.42
Buy.com -- $69.98
Best Buy Retail -- $65.99
Kmart Retail -- $59.99
Fye.com -- $54.99
SuperDuperClub -- $49.99

Shop around. Online outlets like Deep Discount DVD and DVD Pacific will offer much better deals than in-store retail.
Old 03-10-04, 05:21 PM
Suspended

thanks for the responses guys

I picked up

Seven Platinum E for $29 Canadian
&
Fight Club SE for $22.50 Canadian

at Futureshop as they had a deal that if you get two of the SE DVDs with some sticker on it, u get 5 bucks off and since i was gonna buy them both soon anyway, i bought em today

I also picked up Memento: Limited Edition for $28.69 Canadian from Futureshop and I only saw it on the net for $32 so that was a few bucks off as well
Old 03-10-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought plenty of those Criterion CAV $125 sets back in the day, so I'm pretty spoiled by now. If it's a limited edition set of a single movie and it costs over $50, the goodies/packaging had better be worth it (Schindler's List, Kill Bill R2 limited). If a movie comes out that I really love bare-bones, I'll pay any price for it (within reason), even retail.
Old 03-10-04, 06:04 PM

I only buy dvds that are less than $15 shipped, unless I really really want it, for instance I have wanted Fear and Loathing in LV CC since before it came out, and I finally ordered it a couple days ago, I waited over a year and finally broke down and got it, thats how frugle/poor I am, I always use dvdpricesearch
Old 03-10-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm spoiled after using columbia house so many times and the ddd 20% off coupon in december because it's like pulling teeth if i have to pay more than $8 per movie
Old 03-10-04, 08:19 PM

bigdogg - come back to my post: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=350615
Old 03-10-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

main stream titles:
barebones: no more than $10
SE (2-disc or up): no more than $20

others (CC, horror, cult):
no more than $25

Box Sets:
depends on the content... but general thumb, $50-70 is more than enough for me
Old 03-10-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out the Best Buy and Circuit City ads in your newspaper on the weekend. They usually list what sales they have going on, and the prices for new releases. There is usually a "2 For 15" deal going on every week.

Of course if you don't have a paper, you can check out the DVD Bargains section on this forum. You're bound to find some good deals there along with the ads.
Old 03-10-04, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
More than you're willing to spend.
Old 03-10-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
usually just depends on the movie you want. such as the friday the 13th series, i would not pay more than 9.99 a movie, since they only have a trailer as an extra.
Old 03-10-04, 10:17 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by costanza
i'm spoiled after using columbia house so many times and the ddd 20% off coupon in december because it's like pulling teeth if i have to pay more than $8 per movie

i so agree with contanza, i cant stand paying double digits for a dvd
Old 03-10-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm fine with paying $10 for barebones stuff and do alot of shopping at DDD when older titles finally make their way to disc. As far as new titles recently in theaters I think $20 is acceptable, more than that I don't do. Box sets with several movies are a different story altogether; the more movies in the set the more the box set is worth. I buy plennnnty used in the pawn shops, now and then when Blockbuster or Movie Gallery run PVD sales, and when discs are released at a killer price the first week out. Very rarely will I make an exception. When you can buy a player for less than $100.......shoot, ALOT less than $100 if you really want to- then paying more than $20 per disc is ridiculous.

ROTK EE will be an exception, however .
Old 03-10-04, 11:37 PM

It depends, but here are some of my general thoughts and experiences on the matter:

I was unwilling to fork over $50+ for the E.T. Gift Box Set. I did manage, however, to get in on the Sam Goody deal and I only paid about $35. That was a much more reasonable price for that particular set, in my opinion.

Additionally, though I am a big fan of the Original Star Trek series and The Next Generation, I am simply unwilling to pay $100+ for a season of TNG, or even $15 for only two episodes of TOS.

On the other hand, however, I have purchased 6 seasons (as has thus far been released) of Stargate SG-1, having never paid more than $50 per season set.

I also picked up CSI: Season 2 and paid about $60 (as I recall), and that seemed like a reasonable price to me.

Certainly, I understand the logic of dividing a $100 price tag by several of hours of programming (such as in the case of Star Trek: TNG), and realize that even then, one is getting lots of show for their dollar. But (and Paramount, take note), there are indeed other DVD sets that I want that are less expensive, and thus, I can make my “entertainment dollars” go even further by purchasing those alternative titles.