Community
Search

What...is...it...with...guzzlefish?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Z
DVDAF doesn't provide any information at all about the discs in your collection other than the title and the fact that you own it.
right...they let you do the most important thing. they let you add the info yourself. someone elses input usually does not match my own...which wont work for me. when I have some time devoted to adding info, my listings will be improved bigtime. right now they suck because I have not devoted any time at all. anyway, if a site cant even get all the genre tags right...I wouldnt trust them with anything else.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 03-11-04 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
True, the site isn't perfect, but it still has the best user interface of any of the DVD tracking options I've tried out
While certainly decent, I much prefer DVD Aficionado's interface. Both are, in fact, quite similar, but I've not found an easy way to enter large numbers of titles with guzzlefish. DVD Aficionado's default display with graphic is much more preferable, as well.

Guzzlefish provides the ability to dynamically generate "folders," in the dvdaf parlance, which certainly prooves enjoyable, but the underlying data to generate those division is often suspect. It is also unfortunate that there is no way for a user to define their own divisions.

Of course, DVD Profiler suffers from an absolutely ugly presentation/interface, cumbersome input, and more. It seems far more appropriately placed as a business application than an individual-use one.
Old 03-11-04, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by hogfat

Of course, DVD Profiler suffers from an absolutely ugly presentation/interface, cumbersome input, and more.
my thoughts exactly. the first time I saw profiler, I thought..."butt-ugly"...and just got tired of looking at it.
Old 03-11-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Even with a DSL connection Guzzlefish is SO SLOW that it's just plain annoying.

Anybody know if they succeeded in getting "The Adventures Of Indiana Jones" back on their site?? I entered it the day I got it, then it disappeared. It appears to me that it is still missing. What gives anyway??
Old 03-11-04, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, the Matrix Reloaded disappeared a few times too.

Guzzlefish is wonky when it comes to releases showing up and then vanishing.

And while they have a separate count for Criterions, it's useless since they don't count anything released after 2001 as being a Criterion disc - it'll just say "Special Edition" after it rather than "Criterion Collection" like the older discs do - I'm thinking that's because the Muse database they subscribe to doesn't make the distinction, and it's been a couple years now since they've really bothered to change anything.

I was willing to say "Oh well, they're new, they'll get better" two years ago - but they seem to have made ZERO progress in those two years. What the heck have they been doing? They've evidently been working on the book database for that time - but if it's anything like the DVD DB, it'll be useless the minute it launches.

I like the stats, but if they're not accurate what's the point?
Old 03-12-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I intend to write my own DVD Tracking site. I already did design one in PHP/MySQL but I got tired of adding titles since I had to build the database myself.

Building the site isn't bad but building the database is very time consuming. I wish there was easier way.
Old 03-12-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by danwiz
Anybody know if they succeeded in getting "The Adventures Of Indiana Jones" back on their site?? I entered it the day I got it, then it disappeared. It appears to me that it is still missing. What gives anyway??
It's back:

http://www.guzzlefish.com/title.php?...titleid=202047

They had a problem with disappearing titles because Muze, the database content supplier who provides most of their title information, deleted them for some stupid reason. Once this was discovered, Guzzlefish manually re-added the titles (Indiana Jones, Matrix Reloaded, and Beauty & the Beast come to mind) and have closed the loophole so that Muze can't delete anymore titles.
Old 03-12-04, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

I started adding my CD collection in at Guzzlefish, but got tired of it, took too long, pages loaded to slowly and I lost interest. DVDAF is OK, but if they don't accept a submission, I can't get all of collection listed/
OTOH: I LOVE DVDProfiler. I use it daily, never thought it looked ugly, granted there are some things I would like to add to it, it is by far the best DVD tracker around. Also, if the company for whatever reason disappears, I still have fully functioning software to use. Whereas with AF and GF, if the site goes away so does the collection.
Old 03-12-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't updated my guzzlefish page in quite some time because of how incredibly slow it always is. It used to go by at an OK speed, but not it's just too slow. I also submitted some cds that have yet to be added, but who knows if they ever will be.
Old 03-14-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

they all have their benefits that none of the others have, so i update them all.

DVDAF - the display is beautiful so that's what i show people when they want to see my collection. my friends use me as their own personal Netflix (which i don't mind) and it's an easy format for that.

Guzzlefish - the stats. i personally hate the interface but the stats are fun.

DVDProfiler - the reports.
Old 03-18-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, after about a week of insanely slow performance, Guzzlefish seems to be back to normal . . . whereas it was taking me about 5 minutes to add each title this past week, I got 11 in in about 5-10 today. Much nicer.

Now time to focus on DVDProf . . .
Old 03-18-04, 05:26 PM

Guzzlefish is slow, they don't always have all the titles I want, their statistics are often incomplete or just plain incorrect, and I hate their submit process. I usually find myself adding titles that end up going nowhere, and the mods greenlight submits that are sloppily made. My friends and I have given up on Guzzlefish - I was hoping to use it for my DVD, CD and video game tracking, but now I just use the far superior DVD Aficionado (for DVDs only, of course).
Old 03-18-04, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by metaridley
Guzzlefish is slow, they don't always have all the titles I want, their statistics are often incomplete or just plain incorrect, and I hate their submit process. I usually find myself adding titles that end up going nowhere, and the mods greenlight submits that are sloppily made.
Their submit process makes me insane, I will give you that. It is like a crap shoot if something gets posted or not, hell, I had one turned down for something they were wrong about. Makes me crazy and is a good reason why they are still missing so many dvds. Their submission process is terrible.
Old 03-18-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by mljones99
i gave up on them a couple months ago.
I've thought about doing that too--it's just so slow adding titles. I made all the effort to put my movies and music in though (plus I like the stats) so so far, I still keep it.

Due to the snail-like pace (which existed well before the article, so that's a lame excuse) it remains my third choice of the three, and the most likely to be out-of-date.