Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I have a Schindler's List playback problem...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have a problem with the playback on this title? Mine plays great up until 112:50 and then it pauses, plays for a split second, pauses, and then skips to about 117:00. I'm not even sure if the time showing on my player is accurate with where it skips to. Any trying to scan forward past 112:50 or backward from 117:00 fails. Its totally interfered with my enjoyment of this DVD today and I'm bummed. Hoped to get some feedback before returning my copy.

Thanks,

ukywyldcat
Old 03-09-04, 07:40 PM

What kind of player are you using?
Old 03-09-04, 07:41 PM

Thanks for replying! I have a Sony DVP-NS700P. I've never had a problem with any other disc and I've owned around 700 titles.
Old 03-09-04, 08:17 PM

Hopefully mine will show up tomorrow and I'll have to give it a shot.
Old 03-09-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
well this thread started off asking the same question but turned into a thread on price and were to buy the keepcase version.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=351036

i said this there,.....

the copy from my blockbuster has a serious glitch at the 1.26 mark that forces me to go 6 minutes forward then manually enter a time at 1.29.22 to be able to continue watching.
there is another one at 2.06 mark.
this is side one.

there are no marks of dirt or scratches it was never played before i used it.
Old 03-09-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a somewhat similiar problem, although this is when it's played on my Hitachi DVD-ROM player (it seems to work fine on my regular Toshiba 3109 DVD player). It occurs in chapter 14, about the point where the Nazi shoots a man who is trying to protect a young boy. The movie either freezes or sputters, and I can't get it to go backwards or forwards, at least not without a very long delay, or getting a message from Windows about the program (PowerDVD) not responding.

I even tried cleaning the disc, but it didn't do anything. Essentially, accessing chapter 14 and beyond causes problems. Even if the movie is playing fine in one of these later chapters, just hitting the forward button causes freeze-ups.
Old 03-09-04, 08:56 PM

I finished the movie about an half an hour or so ago. After 117 the entire disc and the second side play perfectly. And yes, at 112:50 it is during the night scene when they are flushing out the remaining Jews in the ghetto, only minutes after shooting the man trying to help the lady. The camera moves across some men standing around a desk set up in the street, freezes, and then jumps to a scene where the Jews are moving what looks like tombstones or something and freezes again, and finally restarts at 117 where Oscar is laughing with a bunch of soldiers. I'm really bummed to miss those 5 minutes today but I finished the disc out and plan to return it to Circuit City tomorrow.
Old 03-09-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had a couple of discs do this, and usually it has to do with the layer change. It would get to the layer change, and then inexplicably jump a chapter ahead. If I recall, it was a problem that didn't occur very often, but usually on longer films and I had a hard time recreating it if I scrolled back again. It seemed to disappear the more I watched the film, so it might just be an isolated occurence.
Old 03-09-04, 09:15 PM

Fink:

I would think that but my layer change occurred sometime around 10 minutes before this point. Can the layer change still affect playback that far after the change?
Old 03-09-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ukywyldcat
Fink:

I would think that but my layer change occurred sometime around 10 minutes before this point. Can the layer change still affect playback that far after the change?
I would think no. If its the layer change its going to happen there. Hope a great movie isn't going to be spoiled by a badly manufactured disc. Hopefully its just a few bad discs and not the whole run.

Seems like some people are having success by exchanging for a new disc so its probably just a case of DVD-18s and their high defective rate.

Last edited by darkside; 03-09-04 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
on 1 DVD player I have, the Schindler's List disc skipped a little bit into Chapter 14. It would stop, pixelate, then jump all the way to the next chapter.

I then put it in my PS2, and it played perfectly with no glitches.
Old 03-09-04, 11:58 PM

I just watched mine, no problems
Old 03-10-04, 01:59 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I hope the disks are defective, maybe I should wait before I pick my copy up?
Old 03-10-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I reviewed my Target Digipak Flipper against the time ranges reported in both DVD Talk threads and didn't experience any flaws, pixellations, failure in playback, etc. I have a JVC 501.
Old 03-10-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FinkPish
I've had a couple of discs do this, and usually it has to do with the layer change.
usually. for me, this disc is screwed up. my glitch(freezing-advancing forward to next chap) starts before I've had my first taste of ale...in chapter 3. my Panny took the layer-change like a champ...but not this defect. it happens on and off through the chapter, but is hopeless just after Neeson sits down to talk with Kingsley. I popped it in my Malata and presto...no problem. tried my Sony deck...problem back. Xbox....no problem. rom....flawless. the 2 domestic decks simply cant make it through this stretch. also, I'm no rookie. I know how to handle dvds and clean a player and lense. the disc appears fine on the surface. my domestics are less than 1 year old and no other problems out of almost 1,500 titles...except for those rare cases of delamination.

no problem...I'll be exchanging this tomorrow. it's the single disc edition.
Old 03-10-04, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like mine has a couple more problems on side two as well. There's occasional sputtering/popping in sound (not unlike what you hear when you get a bad MP3 rip) and also, I can't even access the "Voices from the List" feature. The disc just whirs and whirs before sending it back to the main menu. The other supplemental stuff works, however.

Suffice to say, this baby's going back to the store for an exchange.
Old 03-10-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The disc I bought won't even play ... it immediately goes pixelated and hangs on the intro screen (either DTS ad or the Universal logo) ... Toshiba 6109.
Old 03-10-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it seems Universal better start putting up a hotline number as all the horror stories are begining to emerge.
Old 03-10-04, 07:07 AM

That was my problem in the other thread. I returned it to the store and exchanged it from one in the same batch (WS) and it works thankfully. Looks like a bad batch was made.
Old 03-12-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

really bad pixelation/freeze up for me at 14:22-15:30~ on a Panasonic RP-56. I haven't had a chance yet to try my other player or computer to see if it's a player or disc issue.

Played the rest of the way through last night, and it was fine.

Also: This was using the DTS track on the flipper version. I haven't tried the DD5.1 track yet.
Old 03-12-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine played fine. Not a problem to report...
Old 03-12-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Cyberhome 500 played it with one momentary freeze/pixelation glitch on each side. Not bad enough to warrant any retribution from me or my flying shoe. This was while viewing with the DTS track as well.
Old 03-12-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
I can't even access the "Voices from the List" feature. The disc just whirs and whirs before sending it back to the main menu.
The entire film played flawlessly for me. Voices from the List documentary played fine as well. My disc did have a couple minor scratches, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I have a silver JVC 501, which is about 2-3 years old.
Old 03-13-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I watched mine from beginning to end, and there seemed to be no problems. No glitches, no skips, no pauses.

By the way, is everyone referring to minutes in the film? In other words, 117:00 meaning literally 117 minutes, or one hour and 17 minutes? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

BTW, I have a Denon DVD2900.
Old 03-13-04, 03:52 PM

Side 2 for me takes ages to load which is very annoying when your in the middle of the movie

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.