Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

No SUPERMAN II SE? What a disappointment...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't believe the WB will spend tens of millions on a new SUPERMAN movie which hasn't even got off the ground yet (literally and figuratively speaking) but they won't pony up the dough to clear the legal problems regarding a special edition release of SUPERMAN II (as discussed in the recent HT Chat). What boneheads.
Old 03-09-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. Superman ii is worthy of a special edition. C'mon WB!!
Old 03-09-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WB seems to have completely washed their hands of these films after putting out that box a couple of years ago.

Every chat, someone will bring up (a) a Superman II SE and (b) a version of the original that restores the original audio.

And, every chat, the response is a terse "no, we're not considering that".
Old 03-09-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will never be Superman 2:SE - at least the way ya'll want it (with Brando and the rest of the Donner scenes)

The whole Brando thing was a complete mess from the get-go back in the day. There were numerous lawsuits and there is absoultely no way they can put those scenes back without paying Brando about a billion dollars.

The Donner scenes - I don't think Richard Donner wants to deal with those folks ever again. He has said that many times, and the way he was fired pissed him off big time. Too much bad blood about that movie (although he appeared in the documentary about Superman)
Old 03-09-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Incidentally, for those who want more details about the Salkind/Donner/Lester/Brando feud, check out the SUPERMAN CINEMA website.

I've been following the making of the SUPERMAN movies since I was a kid, and I can't believe that almost thirty years later, there are still all these legal problems and bad blood!

All the fans want is to see the missing footage (as shown on TV and as directed by Donner) in one form or another. To quote Jon Lovitz: "is that so wrong?"
Old 03-09-04, 01:31 PM
Banned

least I have a nice WS transfer and a decent stereo mix...
Old 03-09-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Donner Cut coming to DVD is merely a fanboy dream. It will never happen -- even though I would like to see it.
Old 03-09-04, 02:34 PM

Re: No SUPERMAN II SE? What a disappointment...

Originally posted by DieselsDen
I can't believe the WB will spend tens of millions on a new SUPERMAN movie which hasn't even got off the ground yet (literally and figuratively speaking) but they won't pony up the dough to clear the legal problems regarding a special edition release of SUPERMAN II (as discussed in the recent HT Chat). What boneheads.
What legal problems?
Old 03-09-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Way too much to get into:
http://www.supermancinema.net/superm...l_s2/index.htm

Basically, all money issues related to Brando and then the firing of Donner during the shooting of Supes1/Supes2
Old 03-09-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by chanster

The Donner scenes - I don't think Richard Donner wants to deal with those folks ever again. He has said that many times, and the way he was fired pissed him off big time. Too much bad blood about that movie (although he appeared in the documentary about Superman)
Well, I think there's certain people that Donner doesn't want to deal with again...but he certainly seems to have no problem working with Warner Bros. Most of his movies are released by that studio, and he contributed to the special edition of Superman on DVD with a commentary track.
Old 03-09-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is definitely a fanboy pipedream to get a recut Donner version. There are way too many egos and legal hurdles to overcome.

But I don't see any reason why we can't get the extra scenes as a disc #2 supplement, along with a commentary track/documentary about this film's extremely interesting evolution.
Old 03-09-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I think there's certain people that Donner doesn't want to deal with again...but he certainly seems to have no problem working with Warner Bros. Most of his movies are released by that studio, and he contributed to the special edition of Superman on DVD with a commentary track.
I don't think he has any ill will toward Warner Bros. But its the same situation Lynch found himself in with Alien3 - he got burned on it and wanted nothing to do it with it afterwords.

Donner has no problem with Superman 1, but if you watch the documentary, he is still pretty upset about Superman 2 and his firing.
Old 03-09-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
I don't think he has any ill will toward Warner Bros. But its the same situation Lynch found himself in with Alien3 - he got burned on it and wanted nothing to do it with it afterwords.
I think you mean Fincher.

Or Dune.
Old 03-09-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, either one, applies.
Old 03-09-04, 08:25 PM

yea, it's a shame the producers had to go cheap on Brando and Donner for the sequel. Superman II could of been what Empire Strikes Back is to Star Wars.
Old 03-09-04, 09:11 PM

I personally like Superman 2 alot more than Superman 1. I'm sure Donner probably directed the best parts. Anyway, even if we never get a restored version of the movie as it was intended, Warner Brothers should at least give us a restored digitized print that looks as clean as their Superman 1 DVD looks, don't you think?
Old 04-03-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Bump.

There's a website called theforbidden-zone.com that is planning a letter writing campaign on June 19th, 2004 to get a Superman II SE released on DVD as a 25th anniversary edition next year. (The date of June 19th was planned to coincide with the date Superman II was originally released in the U.S.)

I've never participated in a letter writing campaign before, but this one seems like a fairly easy one to try. The link below supplies sample letters to send to three WB executives. All you have to do is substitute your name and address in the text, print them, then remember to mail them on the appropriate day.

I say it's worth a try because if no one says anything, a SE is sure to never happen. Even if this campaign accomplishes nothing, we're still no better off than before, so what do you have to lose?

http://www.theforbidden-zone.com/supermanii/index.shtml
Old 04-03-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyway, even if we never get a restored version of the movie as it was intended, Warner Brothers should at least give us a restored digitized print that looks as clean as their Superman 1 DVD looks, don't you think?
Yes, I would love to see Superman II restored and especially given a good 5.1 track. The current 2.0 is so anemic.

It's so disappointing watching this after watching the first movie because of the A/V difference.

Last edited by DavidH; 04-03-04 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 08:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Awesome - I'd do almost anything to get an SE release of this one!
Old 04-03-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to see the kid riding the horse get killed by the police siren in dvd format!!!
Old 04-03-04, 09:43 PM
Banned

What if Marlon Brando dies?
Would that take care of one of the legal problems?
Old 04-03-04, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by wm lopez
What if Marlon Brando dies?
Would that take care of one of the legal problems?
They would still have to deal with his estate.
Old 04-04-04, 09:10 AM

There's a website called theforbidden-zone.com that is planning a letter writing campaign on June 19th, 2004 to get a Superman II SE released on DVD as a 25th anniversary edition next year. (The date of June 19th was planned to coincide with the date Superman II was originally released in the U.S.)
The 25th anniversary of Superman II will not be until June 19, 2006. The movie was released June 19, 1981 -- one week after Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 04-04-04, 09:35 AM
Cool New Member

Is there something wrong with the superman cinema website listed above? I clicked on the link and it said I don't have permission to access the files on the server. (or something like that) Is the problem my computer/firewall/something else here @ work, or is everyone getting denied??

I am really interested in reading this whole story, hopefully someone has an answer.

Thanks

Chris
Old 04-04-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah, same problem here. Looks like the site is down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.