Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anything new in anime worth buying?

Old 03-06-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I haven't bought much anime of late and was wondering any good series just recently released that I may have missed.I bought one volume of Heat Guy J and didn't think much of it.
Old 03-06-04, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Exile is an amazing series.

Kino's Journey is also very good.

But my opinion may not mean much, I liked Heat Guy J.
Old 03-06-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second Last Exile, I'm enjoying this series. I also recommend Witch Hunter Robin.
Old 03-06-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spirited Away won some awards last year. Maybe worth checking out.

If you like Anime series, RahXephon is a pretty good recent series. Similar to Evangelion.
Old 03-06-04, 02:37 PM

what about movies? any good anime movies lately, I don't have the patience for series unless they are really good. The only series I can watch that I know of are cowboy bebop and trigun, probably because they are action oriented and don't have to much cutsey bs. Has anyone seen the fist of the north star series, is it as good as the movie?
Old 03-06-04, 03:26 PM

Memories is the new movie by the creator of Akira .

As for non-cutsey, I'd say try Witch Hunter Robin and Heat Guy J.
Old 03-06-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Witch Hunter Robin was pretty good. I would suggest catching it on adult swim to test it out to see if it's for you.

I'm especially enjoying picking up Magical Shopping Arcade, Please teacher, and Someday dreamer is a few of the titles that I saw on fansubbed and now am picking up as they come out on dvd.

I personally cant wait till Apirl for Azumanga.
Old 03-06-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Big O?
Old 03-06-04, 06:16 PM

rahxephon
X
Last exile
Haibane Renmai
Old 03-06-04, 06:18 PM
Cool New Member

FYI.... MEMORIES is NOT NEW... it came out in 1996... 8 Years ago... but is suprisingly good with very high production values...
It is a collection of 3 shorts "Created by the world’s leading animé talent: Koji Morimoto (The Animatrix), Tensai Okamuro (Android Kikaider: The Animation), Katsuhiro Ôtomo (Upcoming Steamboy, Akira), Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue)." (From Amazon.com)

If you appreciate ANY of the listed titles... then this is a MUST.

As for new ANIME worth owning.... The GHOST IN THE SHELL : Stand Alone Complex TV Series really is incredible although it hasn't been released in the US yet... You can get it via Japanese import or... gasp... bootlegs which are DVD rips of the Japanese DVDs with VERY GOOD fansubs.... This series is incredible. Seek it out.

The ninja scroll series is horrible... read some reviews scattered about and you'll see why.

Some other series well worth watching... HELLSING.... BASTARD.... and if you can find it... JO JO's BIZARRE ADVENTURE...

Also, here's my super secret movie of the year... It's a full length Korean Anime that wil freaking BLOW YOU AWAY. No One knows about this yet, and i'm SURE it will eventually come out in the US... but for now... go over to....http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/
Watch the trailers. Incredible CGI and Handrawn animation that takes it's influences from EVERY major sci-fi/anime film of the past 20 years. It's incredible, and can be found via ebay.... Seriously this one is WORTH IT....

Also we should all be on the lookout for the appleseed movie... it looks INCREDIBLE!!!! Good Lord. http://www.a-seed.jp/

That should hold you over for awhile...
-excandide
Old 03-06-04, 06:28 PM

Doggypoo..some dreams do come true.
Old 03-06-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,270 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally posted by excandide
Also, here's my super secret movie of the year... It's a full length Korean Anime that wil freaking BLOW YOU AWAY. No One knows about this yet, and i'm SURE it will eventually come out in the US... but for now... go over to....http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/
Watch the trailers. Incredible CGI and Handrawn animation that takes it's influences from EVERY major sci-fi/anime film of the past 20 years. It's incredible, and can be found via ebay.... Seriously this one is WORTH IT....
All I can say is... WOW. Not often will a trailer almost move me to tears...
Old 03-06-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No one knows about Wonderful days? yeah. sure...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=268118

You can get it via Japanese import or... gasp... bootlegs which are DVD rips of the Japanese DVDs with VERY GOOD fansubs.... This series is incredible. Seek it out.
or you could just *GASP* wait till it's released in R1.
Why are you promoting bootlegs? If you want the R3 of Wonderful days which hits retail 4-9-04 you can read more about it in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=314183

Though I do agree that Ninja Scroll series was god awful. Terrible Terrible Terrible!
Old 03-06-04, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

True true... But Wonderful Days MUST have been officially released somewhere because I've had the DVD for over 2 months and although it's region 0... it has tons of special features and such. So I figured it was just a RIP of the official release somewhere in the world. I cannot believe it's only JUST being released officially next month. Perhaps that is the first Japanese Release?
Old 03-06-04, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

Actually that thread you linked to mentions a 04-09-03 release... not 04-09-04 release. My suspicions are confirmed that the OFFICIAL Korean Release of the DVD was September 4, 2003... Thus I'm NOT PROMOTING BOOTLEGS sir. Thanks! Read your own links!
Old 03-06-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

hee, my bad on the 03/04 mistake. I seem to do that a lot in post. I saw the thread on page one of the int. forum so my mind put in this year instead of last. It's a great flick, though I thought the trailer was a bit to revealing for the flick.

You are suggesting ebay when if you look through ebay's listing for unreleased anime in R1 you will find 90% bootlegs. Usually suggesting to look on ebay is the wrong idea. there is plenty of good import anime stores that will give you the legit item.. and you were promoting bootlegs with your comments about SAC.
Old 03-06-04, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

I stated that you could purchase the Japanese DVDs for GITS:SAC AND as another option.... fansubs. I'm not against bootlegs, especially when certain titles (ESPECIALLY ANIME) is released in AMERICA with like two 25 minute episodes on a disc and asking price of 29.99.... It's just ridiculous. They are just robbing anyone who buys the discs. It they were FAIR releases... I mean a dual layered DVD can hold up to 4 hours of material but they barely even put an hour on it and charge full price, not even 19.99 and then to get a whole series you have to buy like 10-12 DVDs. SUCH A RIP-OFF. Just money grubbing american anime companies who take advantage of people who can't even find import dvds or boots. But this argument is so OLD and everyone already knows this. Sigh. I would MUCH rather have R1 versions of titles, but sometimes it's just stupidly priced and takes up too much space on my shelf for something that could fit on 4 discs.
Old 03-06-04, 08:01 PM

I've been enjoying Infinite Ryvius and Scryed, so far. Witch Hunter Robin is also worth checking out on Cartoon Network. I haven't seen Last Exile yet, but they're running the first 12 episodes on Tech TV starting Monday.
Old 03-06-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by excandide
I stated that you could purchase the Japanese DVDs for GITS:SAC AND as another option.... fansubs. I'm not against bootlegs, especially when certain titles (ESPECIALLY ANIME) is released in AMERICA with like two 25 minute episodes on a disc and asking price of 29.99.... It's just ridiculous. They are just robbing anyone who buys the discs. It they were FAIR releases... I mean a dual layered DVD can hold up to 4 hours of material but they barely even put an hour on it and charge full price, not even 19.99 and then to get a whole series you have to buy like 10-12 DVDs. SUCH A RIP-OFF. Just money grubbing american anime companies who take advantage of people who can't even find import dvds or boots. But this argument is so OLD and everyone already knows this. Sigh. I would MUCH rather have R1 versions of titles, but sometimes it's just stupidly priced and takes up too much space on my shelf for something that could fit on 4 discs.

If you don't like the R1 release, don't buy it. But don't support bootlegs. They do not only effect the R1 anime market but they hurt the Japanese creators of the shows.

Anime is a niche market, so prices are going to be higher than regular releases. We also wouldn't have half the shit we have here if the companies weren't charging these prices. Companies have been getting better and some are putting decent episode counts. What company is still putting 2 episodes a disc? FLCL is the only release I can think of off the top of my head. And most likely that is due to a high licensing fee. Besides the FLCL discs are some of the best ever made for anime in R1, and it sure as hell beats the 1 ep a vol. release in Japan.

You say to buy the Japanese GiTS: SAC dvds but they are so much more costly than the US releases. You do not make any sense.

And you didn't say to get fansubs for GiTS you said:
As for new ANIME worth owning.... The GHOST IN THE SHELL : Stand Alone Complex TV Series really is incredible although it hasn't been released in the US yet... You can get it via Japanese import or... gasp... bootlegs which are DVD rips of the Japanese DVDs with VERY GOOD fansubs.... This series is incredible. Seek it out.
doesnt sound to me like you are saying to get the fansubs.
Old 03-06-04, 10:30 PM
Cool New Member

You've found me out! I'm really a HK DVD Bootlegger!!!!

I will admit that the ANIME on DVD for R1 has gotten significantly better.

Perhaps it is not "RIGHT" to purchase bootlegs or Fansubs.... but I'm sure MANY of us do purchase these items depending on certain factors.... usually because there is NO R1 release, or at least no R1 Release coming out for a LONG TIME. And if they do the stuff justice when it DOES come out, then I will purchase the R1 DVDs. I personally cannot wait for a BOX set of GITS:SAC for R1... but how long will I have to wait for that??? I'd rather watch it now... and purchase the R1 when it FINALLY becomes available.

You are SOOOOO defensive of the ANime Companies and I can understand to a certain degree.... as long as I don't feel we're being price gouged....
Old 03-06-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I should know. I'm one to announce that I happily watch and download fansubs. But if you look at my computer you will realize that if I don't like a series, I don't keep it. I delete it. If I do like a title, you will see that in my dvd collection.

Fan subs are great. don't get me wrong, They are a great way to preview or get the feel of a series before you drop down your money. It's like renting a film at blockbuster. Only difference is I am "renting" while no U.S. distributor has the license to it.

But the thing is... YOU DON'T BUY FAN SUBS!! you don't. You can't. the purpose of fan subbers is to do it for NO PROFIT. if you are buying a disc on ebay that has a series for 25 bucks.. That's not a fan sub. That's a bootleg.

As Fnordboy and I share a lot of the same views, I will follow up to agree that buying 2-3 episodes on one disc here in R1 is a shit lot better then buying 1 episode per disc as they do in japan.

It's a niche market, Popular titles in japan aren't cheap to get the distribution rights to, and if other titles don't sell well, then they can't afford to pick up new titles or they choose which ones to get which means that it will be a lot tougher for obscure titles to reach us.
Old 03-06-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

usually because there is NO R1 release
Maybe back in the day when Laser Disc were around and a group had to pinch pennies and dimes in order to import it to even begin to start to fan sub it.. but not now a days, atleast not a majority.

or at least no R1 Release coming out for a LONG TIME.
OH MY GOD!! SIX TO NINE TERRIBLE MONTHS!! THE LONG DRAWN OUT WAIT!! WHY GOD WHY?!?!?

but how long will I have to wait for that??? I'd rather watch it now...
By all means watch it all you want. But don't buy them. Fan subs are no longer fan subs once you pay cash for them (well minus material of tape or if you buy a dvd for 2 bucks.. which covers materials. you get the picture) I'm all for fan subs. But buddy, you can't tell me you do not have the knowledge to do it yourself.

If you follow my method you do not give your support and your cash to bootleggers. Download a fansub if it's still in Unlicensed limbo and enjoy it. test the waters. if you like it. Buy it. If you don't. why waste the space on your hard drive or CD/DVD-r? just delete it.

Going on ebay is not supporting Fan subbers. that is supporting bootleggers. it's a fine line my friend, a fine line indeed.
Old 03-07-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I should know. I'm one to announce that I happily watch and download fansubs. But if you look at my computer you will realize that if I don't like a series, I don't keep it. I delete it. If I do like a title, you will see that in my dvd collection.

Fan subs are great. don't get me wrong, They are a great way to preview or get the feel of a series before you drop down your money. It's like renting a film at blockbuster. Only difference is I am "renting" while no U.S. distributor has the license to it.

But the thing is... YOU DON'T BUY FAN SUBS!! you don't. You can't. the purpose of fan subbers is to do it for NO PROFIT. if you are buying a disc on ebay that has a series for 25 bucks.. That's not a fan sub. That's a bootleg.

As Fnordboy and I share a lot of the same views, I will follow up to agree that buying 2-3 episodes on one disc here in R1 is a shit lot better then buying 1 episode per disc as they do in japan.
Exactly, I have no problems with fansubs at all. Hell on my harddrive right now I have 90+ gigs and about 15 DVD-Rs full of digisubs, but my DVD collection also reflects that. It is like Jack said, if you pay more than cost of materials for a fansub, it is not a fansub.
Old 03-07-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is no need to buy bootlegs. You can get fansubs for free at lower quality, and if you like them, you can buy the region 1 discs. If you like the show, it's worth rewarding. If you don't think the show is worth buying at the price the distributor is releasing it at, then simply don't buy it. Rewarding bootleggers by buying their wares only hurts the rest of fansubbers who just want to know what anime is good and not have to shell out for a bad series. It's pretty selfish, IMHO.

You think Stand Alone Complex is terrific? then it's terrific enough to wait for the region 1s (looks like this summer, BTW.) The bootlegging industry does incredible damage to the anime industry. Most people who buy them think they're offical versions. I have too much respect for the shows creators to give money for their hard work to someone else.

Trust me, no one here dislikes the things state side distributors do with their discs more than I do, NO ONE, but buying bootlegs isn't an option.
Old 03-07-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You really have to be out of the loop in this day and age to not know where to get a fan sub at. I wont link or mention names, but really. It's not that hard. I'm on the stance that I would rather you download it then pay any person anything. Save that cash for when the dvd comes out so you can support the studio.

Distirbutors are getting better. Like examples above. It used to be on VHS you would have to choose, dub or sub and Subs were more costly for some strange reason! You got on average fewer shows then you do on dvd for the same price or higher. It might be bad now, but it was worse before. As this niche market grows bigger with your support, you will eventually see the benefits.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.