Miracle of the White Stallions OAR?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spousal unit is a big horse person (well, she's not big, if you know what I mean), so I have to buy just about every horse movie out there. I know the DVD of this is 1.33:1, but does anyone know if it's open matte or pan 'n' scan?

It's my understanding that a lot of these old Disney movies were made to be shown at any aspect ratio between 1.33:1 and 1.85:1. If that's the case (as in The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit), I can just treat it like a non-anamorphic widescreen disc and zoom in on it. However, if it's a pan 'n' scan abomination (like Return to Snowy River) then I'm not interested.
Old 03-02-04, 08:40 PM

I would like to know also. I think the Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD says that it's pan-and-scan, but I was wondering if it could be 1.33:1 native instead.
Old 03-06-04, 11:56 AM

Anyone else have any info on this? In the list of Older Live Action Films, The Ultimate Guide to Disney DVD simply says "1.33:1" without any reference to OAR. IMDb's Technical Specs simply says "35 mm" and I'm not smart enough to know what that tells me (and IMDb is not always accurate).

I just don't know what other sources are out there that would provide this information.
Old 03-10-04, 11:51 AM

Thought I'd give this one last bump.

I guess my question really boils down to this: Does anyone know if this is open matte or pan 'n' scan?

When IMDb says it was shot in 35 mm, does that say anything meaningful about open matte vs pan 'n' scan?
Old 03-11-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ultimatedisney.com will usually give a if it's not OAR. So it looks like 1.33:1 might be OAR.
Old 05-10-04, 04:14 PM

I thought it was worth one last attempt at resurrecting this thread after noticing that UltimateDisney.com now has the thumbs-down for P&S by this title.

After clicking on the thumbs-down, I guess I'd have to say that I'm disappointed by the fact that they are ignoring the difference between pan 'n' scan and open matte. Disney in particular has a lot of movies that were filmed with the intent of being shown in varying aspect ratios of 1.33:1 to 1.85:1. There is a huge difference between open matte and pan 'n' scan. While I am a big OAR supporter, I will occasionally buy an open matte disc.

I also believe that the pro-OAR crowd does a disservice to the cause by simplifying the explanation of "why widescreen is better" to "you lose a lot of picture with pan 'n' scan." The people who blindly believe this can be mighty disillusioned when they find out that sometimes widescreen shows LESS picture than fullscreen.

Anyway, here's my last desperation attempt to find out the original aspect ratio of "Miracle of the White Stallions."

Anyone?