Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search

Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
Has the price gone up? It shows as 6.99 for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...810614-7163033
Amazon UK prices include the 17% VAT (tax) which will be removed from the price for shipping to the U.S.
Old 03-02-04, 02:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Peep
"Most people have never heard of this film"?!?!?

You're kidding, right?

I'd rather have the R2 unrestored full version than the restored cut version. I was holding off on buying the R2 because of this release. What a screwup!
No, most people have never heard of this film. It is an obscure Hammer import with a dedicated cult following. It is not a mainstream film. Get a grip!
Old 03-02-04, 02:55 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jeff McKay
LOL - so in your eyes it's OK for any movie to be released cut as long as most people have never heard of said movie. And how many is "most people", by the way? Let the studios release cut versions of everything! Besides the standard blockbuster hits, you could say "most people" have never heard of most movies. Wouldn't it be nice if all the DVD's in your profiler collection were cut? Or at least the ones that "most people" have never heard of? Cut to shreds, but as long as they're "available on DVD", it's OK?

The stupid thing about this particular situation is that Fox had already released the uncut version on laserdisc and that version has also been screened quite a few times on TCM and elsewhere. To release the cut version on DVD now is just plain pointless. You may be "glad it's available on DVD", but any serious fan of the film or cinema purist would surely opt for the uncut R2 version or just make their own DVD-R off the uncut laserdisc. Why pay Fox for a butcher job? For the pretty artwork? Whatever floats your boat.
The film is being released as it was theatrically released in the United States. You make it sound as if Fox is editing the film deliberately. Yes, I would rather have a film available in a shorter form on DVD than not available. Wouldn't you?
Old 03-02-04, 02:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I dunno... I skimmed over that post and that didn't really register. The only thing I can think of is they have to negotiate the rights from scratch for different formats?

But this may not be the case at all, and it may have nothing to do whatsoever with distribution rights. It may be in fact a matter of Fox just being mean. I was just questioning the reason for the excision before I came to a conclusion.

But, hey screw it...

SCREW YOU FOX!!! YOU SUUUUUCCCKKK!!!

Better?
So, Fox should be damned for releasing a film on DVD. Would you rather they not have released it? THen you would have been whining that it was not on DVD.
Old 03-02-04, 03:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by gutwrencher
just ordered the import. I refuse to be force-fed this crap.
Why is the theatrical cut of the film crap? How are you being force fed anything? If you don't like the release then don't buy it. It is not as if Fox deliberately cut out scenes or released the film in pan and scan. I really don't understand this rage.
Old 03-02-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Whenever a DVD release is botched, the people that rationalize how this is no big deal crack me up. Makes me wonder how much of a fan they really are of the film. (And if they're not a fan - why are they posting?)

But anyways, I was just wondering if there is any chance the missing footage is still included as deleted scenes?

Last edited by rennervision; 03-02-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
jeesh, everyone's getting their panties all wedged up their butts over this, the simple fact is that Fox Home Video - even though releasing the uncut version on laserdisc (domestically) can't seem to secure such a print for the DVD release. It comes across as a lazy effort to just throw the film in a trunscated form to US fans when past video/tv cuts have been the full 100min. version. I for one, am not going to buy or give the impression to Fox that this acceptable - they screwed up, plain and simple.
Old 03-02-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by EPKJ
So, Fox should be damned for releasing a film on DVD. Would you rather they not have released it? THen you would have been whining that it was not on DVD.
I think you need to really read my post again, carefully, and the previous one as well.

Please read before posting... R.I.F.!
Old 03-02-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Furthermore, and why I'm adressing this I don't know, because it's really elementary, I'm not telling anyone to boycott the dvd or to run out and order multiple copies. You make your own choice. Myself? Yeah, I'll probably look into the R2 version. Am I going to bitch and moan about Fox over this before I know the reason why they went with the U.S. release print?

No.

And I don't understand why anyone would be so offended by that, or claim that I'm some kind of sub-fan. Hell, I can't really claim to be any kind of fan of the movie because I don't believe I've ever seen it. I am, however, a Hammer fan, and am interested in seeing the film. That I don't go on a rampage and burn the town down because of Fox's release shouldn't be grounds for my dismissal from the Hammer Fan Society though.

Thank you, thank you very much. (applause)
Old 03-02-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just cancelled my preorder on this one. I'll get the R2 disc -- with the longer cut, interviews, etc.
Old 03-02-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was considering getting the box set, but I may hold off now. Fox did a nice job including the US and UK versions on the Vanishing Point dvd. It's unfortunate they weren't able to do the same here.
Old 03-02-04, 12:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

The film is being released as it was theatrically released in the United States. You make it sound as if Fox is editing the film deliberately. Yes, I would rather have a film available in a shorter form on DVD than not available. Wouldn't you?
Well, afaik, Fox did 'deliberately' edit the film prior to its original theatrical release in the US. If it had never been restored to its TRUE length afterwards, maybe the CUT version would have to suffice. However, the film WAS restored to its full length and is readily available both on import DVD as well as domestic cable TV broadcasts. There is absolutely no reason why Fox is going backwards in this case. Any movie that's been restored to its original version and then subsequently released later CUT is definitely cause for outrage amongst cinephiles. And as far as wanting a "shorter form" (in other words, CUT) version on DVD rather than nothing at all, I think I'll opt for region 2 instead and let WB benefit for doing the right thing. If the region 2 wasn't available, I would still pass on the region 1 since the LD copy is still around as are TCM broadcasts. I usually pass on DVD releases when they are seriously botched presentations. I think 9 miinutes cut out of a film classifies it as "seriously botched" - even if it represents the" seriously botched" original US theatrical print.

And this film is not simply an "obscure Hammer import". It was a pretty big success at the time and a lot of people who were around back then would definitely have heard of it, if not seen it. And you show that poster image of Raquel Welch to someone over 30 and they'll probably recognize it immediately. That's quite a bit more than just "an obscure import with a cult following".

If you're happy with buying cut movies on DVD, great. Fox definitely needs customers like you on this one. It's your choice to support botched releases and it's other people's choices to not support them if they don't want to. But you can't argue that there's no reason to be disappointed at all when a studio releases an edited print of a film that deserves to be presented uncut, especially when the uncut version is readily available. The level of disappointment may vary from fan to fan, but it's disappointment nonetheless.
Old 03-02-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by marty888
Amazon UK prices include the 17% VAT (tax) which will be removed from the price for shipping to the U.S.
Cool. I never knew that.
Old 03-02-04, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rennervision
Whenever a DVD release is botched, the people that rationalize how this is no big deal crack me up. Makes me wonder how much of a fan they really are of the film. (And if they're not a fan - why are they posting?)

But anyways, I was just wondering if there is any chance the missing footage is still included as deleted scenes?
Fox did not botch anything. They released a high quality transfer based on the American theatrical release. That is a valid version of the film. It is the version I saw as a child. There is no big deal. I see people throw tantrums about things like this on fora all the time, and it gets tiresome. I don't like seeing studios savaged for doing a good job.
Old 03-02-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I think you need to really read my post again, carefully, and the previous one as well.

Please read before posting... R.I.F.!
No, I responded to one particular post, and that is all I need to read. You said "SCREW YOU FOX!!! YOU SUUUUUCCCKKK!!!".

I stand by my response.
Old 03-02-04, 02:10 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fox's One Million Years BC DVD --- NOT THE LONGER CUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jeff McKay
Well, afaik, Fox did 'deliberately' edit the film prior to its original theatrical release in the US. If it had never been restored to its TRUE length afterwards, maybe the CUT version would have to suffice. However, the film WAS restored to its full length and is readily available both on import DVD as well as domestic cable TV broadcasts. There is absolutely no reason why Fox is going backwards in this case. Any movie that's been restored to its original version and then subsequently released later CUT is definitely cause for outrage amongst cinephiles. And as far as wanting a "shorter form" (in other words, CUT) version on DVD rather than nothing at all, I think I'll opt for region 2 instead and let WB benefit for doing the right thing. If the region 2 wasn't available, I would still pass on the region 1 since the LD copy is still around as are TCM broadcasts. I usually pass on DVD releases when they are seriously botched presentations. I think 9 miinutes cut out of a film classifies it as "seriously botched" - even if it represents the" seriously botched" original US theatrical print.

And this film is not simply an "obscure Hammer import". It was a pretty big success at the time and a lot of people who were around back then would definitely have heard of it, if not seen it. And you show that poster image of Raquel Welch to someone over 30 and they'll probably recognize it immediately. That's quite a bit more than just "an obscure import with a cult following".

If you're happy with buying cut movies on DVD, great. Fox definitely needs customers like you on this one. It's your choice to support botched releases and it's other people's choices to not support them if they don't want to. But you can't argue that there's no reason to be disappointed at all when a studio releases an edited print of a film that deserves to be presented uncut, especially when the uncut version is readily available. The level of disappointment may vary from fan to fan, but it's disappointment nonetheless.
The film was cut for theatrical release here. It exists in that form. That is a valid version of the film. It is the version all Americans saw in the theater. I don't care what versions were later released. That does not make this version an error. I understand that you don't like it, but that does not make it an unacceptable version of the film.
Old 03-02-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Someone in this thread sounds like they work for a certain studio.
Old 03-02-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I responded to one particular post, and that is all I need to read. You said "SCREW YOU FOX!!! YOU SUUUUUCCCKKK!!!".

I stand by my response.
Whatever man. You need to learn a bit about sarcasm. Hint; I didn't mean it. If you'd read my two posts, you might figure that one out. And I agree with jough in the Filmation thread... at this point, you're simply trolling.
Old 03-02-04, 05:05 PM

Why is the theatrical cut of the film crap? How are you being force fed anything? If you don't like the release then don't buy it. It is not as if Fox deliberately cut out scenes or released the film in pan and scan. I really don't understand this rage.
because you dont understand me. "crap" is not the film. "crap" is the choice. the choice is force-fed, because instead of giving us both versions or the proper version first, we get no choice EXCEPT for those who dont mind imports. as far as it being a popular film...I remember not being able to open up a Famous Monsters magazine without reading about it. I knew about it when I was like, 9. but then I just liked looking at the pictures.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 03-02-04 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 06:59 PM
Banned

Ummm...somebody clue me in here, please, so that I can make a purchase decision (which region)....What, praytell, is in these damned 9 minutes that was so precious, that I've missed out on all these years?
Old 03-02-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the nine minutes is Raquel in her skivies, I'll burn down the town!
Old 03-02-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts
Taken from the website:

"Some of the footage missing from this version include where cavegirl Martine Beswick performs a sexy tribal dance, violence during a fight between some savage apemen, and a good chunk of Harryhausen's animation"
Old 03-02-04, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus

"a good chunk of Harryhausen's animation"
Old 03-02-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
Taken from the website:

"Some of the footage missing from this version include where cavegirl Martine Beswick performs a sexy tribal dance, violence during a fight between some savage apemen, and a good chunk of Harryhausen's animation"
Sex, Violence, and Harryhausen Stop-Motion Animation!?

*burns the place down*
Old 03-02-04, 11:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ya know if this were an Image Entertainment DVD release (or a WB release) they would have released both the US and British cuts of the films like Invaders from Mars, Strangers on the Train DVD's. Oh well.... (sigh)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.