Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead:Divimax SE - Available over 1 week before release date!

Dawn of the Dead:Divimax SE - Available over 1 week before release date!

Old 03-08-04, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any info on the rumored mega edition to be released later on? The one with 3 differnt versions and lots of extras included?
Old 03-08-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
why does it matter if it is R1 or R0..don't they both play the same?
What? It matters because a lot of people live outside the USA and don't have multiregion players. (I'm not one of them but that's beside the point.)
..anyway, mine has a 1 on the center of a globe so i assume that means R1..hope that helps.
Thanks... A lot of Anchor Bay discs are R0, and also, the back cover information isn't always 100% trustworthy. Could somebody with the means to check the region code see if it really is R1?
Old 03-08-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts
Originally posted by bobertkay99
Any info on the rumored mega edition to be released later on? The one with 3 differnt versions and lots of extras included?
Nope... we're all anxiously waiting to see the final specs. It should be a humdinger
Old 03-11-04, 10:24 PM

Has anyone had any problems with this disk? So far i've only watched this with the commentary but it repeated a section of the movie somewhere around the middle. After it played that section it continued on without any problems. My player is a Pioneer if that matters.
Old 03-12-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched it last night on my Sony. No problem here.
Old 03-12-04, 09:27 AM

I also have problems with this disc and Pioneer DV 565A. After the layer change the player stalls repeatedly. Damn.

Nightbreed.
Old 03-17-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
It's been reported here --> http://www.zombiekeeper.com/forums/s...417#post204159

That the new Divimax Dawn of the Dead SE is cut in at least one scene. Apparently a few seconds of the scene with the children have been cut.

Not a big deal, but good to know for those of us who have the OOP disc and were considering replacing it with the Divimax set... at least we'll be able to make an informed decision.

Me, I'll be keeping the OOP and getting the Divimax SE.
Old 03-17-04, 09:03 AM
Banned

I watched my copy last night and encountered no problems. The transfer is great. I can hardly wait for the multi-disc edition. I may just listen to the commentary tonight.
Old 03-17-04, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by sracer
It's been reported here --> http://www.zombiekeeper.com/forums/s...417#post204159

That the new Divimax Dawn of the Dead SE is cut in at least one scene. Apparently a few seconds of the scene with the children have been cut.

Not a big deal, but good to know for those of us who have the OOP disc and were considering replacing it with the Divimax set... at least we'll be able to make an informed decision.

Yeah the Theatrical version is missing stuff. Some gore, dialogue, the children, etc. But the multi-disc set in Sept will have the other cuts
(Director's Cut and hopefully Argento). And will be anamorphic, 5.1 etc. So there's no problem there.
Old 03-17-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts
Why is this DVD 1.85:1? The OOP Anchor Bay DVD's (Director's Cut and 20th Anniversary) are in 1.66:1 and so was my old VHS widescreen edition.
Old 03-17-04, 06:10 PM

re: Aspect ratio

Originally posted by inri222
Why is this DVD 1.85:1? The OOP Anchor Bay DVD's (Director's Cut and 20th Anniversary) are in 1.66:1 and so was my old VHS widescreen edition.

According to Anchor Bay, Romero's preferred aspect ratio for DOTD is 1.85.

Anchor Bay's Michael Felsher made a post at Mobius a few days ago on this topic:

This has been a subject of debate for a long time, and oddly enough some of the previous widescreen DVD releases only made the issue more cloudy.

The film's correct theatrical aspect ratio is 1.85 :1. This has been confirmed with George Romero as well as director of photography Michael Gornick. This is how it was supposed to be projected.
Old 03-17-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sracer

I heard that Romero considers the theatrical version as his definitive cut of Dawn of the Dead.
Old 03-17-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CreatureX
I heard that Romero considers the theatrical version as his definitive cut of Dawn of the Dead.
Yes, I heard that too.
Old 03-17-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts
Originally posted by CreatureX
Another reason to buy both releases
Old 03-17-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Cannes Cut (aka Director's Cut, even if it's not) included a bit more violence, one of those bits of violence being additional footage of the zombie kids getting blown away. It was never in the original theatrical cut of the film.
Old 03-18-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Cannes Cut (aka Director's Cut, even if it's not) included a bit more violence, one of those bits of violence being additional footage of the zombie kids getting blown away. It was never in the original theatrical cut of the film.
I have seen so many different cuts of this film over the years (and quite a few times in theatres during it's initial theatrical release) that I can no longer remember some of the minor differences between them.

But like TomOpus said, a good reason to consider getting both of these new releases.