DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Dawn of the Dead:Divimax SE - Available over 1 week before release date! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/350094-dawn-dead-divimax-se-available-over-1-week-before-release-date.html)

Matthew Chmiel 03-02-04 06:56 PM

DAWN 2004 was already in production when 28 DAYS LATER came out.
The Dawn remake has been in the pipeline for quite a few years now. James Gunn has been trying to get the remake made for the past five years, if not more.

scott shelton 03-02-04 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Dawn remake has been in the pipeline for quite a few years now. James Gunn has been trying to get the remake made for the past five years, if not more.

Strike Entertaiment hired Gunn to write the script.

Matthew Chmiel 03-02-04 10:47 PM

Strike Entertaiment hired Gunn to write the script.
Gunn has been screaming from the rooftops for years that he wanted to remake Dawn of the Dead. I remember reading sometime around 1999/2000 that he wanted to do the film (not only write, but also direct) and I guess he impressed Richard P. Rubinstein (the owner of the rights to Dawn of the Dead) enough to go on with the remake.

Then again, IIRC, Rubinstein would've went on with a remake if the script was crap or total gold.

nazz 03-03-04 12:03 AM

They closed our K-Mart so I'll be waiting.

Giles 03-03-04 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Doug Schiller

Bad news for some, no DDEX or DTS-ES discrete soundtrack like it was rumoured to be.

so what is it? stereo, mono?

BlackBeauty92 03-03-04 12:16 AM

according to dvdmaniacs.com its regular 5.1 DD & DTS

Matthew Chmiel 03-03-04 12:26 AM

according to dvdmaniacs.com its regular 5.1 DD & DTS
Along with a stereo track and the original mono.

If Anchor Bay just included the original mono, I'd be perfectly happy, but DD and DTS 5.1 is just extra gravy (too bad it couldn't be EX/ES encoded). :)

hsbcandy 03-03-04 02:56 AM

The disc is US Theatrical Version - just 127 minutes. A total of 15 minutes missing, which is on LD's "Director Cut" version.

QuiGonJosh 03-03-04 05:11 AM

Got it at K-Mart sunday..the flick looks like it was shot last week!

Doug Schiller 03-03-04 07:35 AM

Yes, this looks to be the true theaterical cut. No extras scenes of the boat dock like the last release.

welb25 03-03-04 07:52 AM

Before I read the review of this new disc I didn't know that the first U.S. Theatrical Cut dvd that Anchor Bay released really was a cross between the extended Director's Cut and the true Theatrical Cut. By the way, a new review is up at dvdfile, http://dvdfile.com/software/review/d...edead_se.html.

thegame370 03-03-04 06:52 PM

For anyone in NYC, theres a store called Entertainment Outlet down by 14th St. and they had tons of copies there today for $14.99. I gladly picked one up! :D

Hollow Man 03-04-04 12:27 AM

Got mine today at Kmart. Thanks to all for the heads up on them breaking the street date!

-HM

OldBoy 03-04-04 03:36 AM

Anyone find this anywhere besides K-Mart at any other retail stores? I would love to get before the weekend. Like a Best Buy or something...

Hollow Man 03-04-04 08:44 AM

Your usual retail outlets, like Best Buy, aren't dumb enough to break street date. I'm surprised that Kmart did. Wal-Mart's been known to do things like this, since some of them put Ed Wood on the shelves a couple of weeks ago, even though it was recalled.

-HM

Rypro 525 03-04-04 09:06 AM

got mine at blockbuster yesterday for 19.99

scottp120 03-04-04 09:49 AM

I tried 2 Best Best Buys and nothing. Tried a local K-Mart and nothing. Today I went to a different K-Mart 20 minutes away and found it! They had 2 left and quickly found somebody to get it out of the glass case. They have 1 left at the K-Mart on Jumpers Hole Rd in Millersville/Glen Burnie MD if anybody's interested.

duckhouse 03-04-04 12:50 PM

K-Mart in Colonia3/Avenel & Best Buy in Woodbridge definitely don't have it out yet. I stopped by both today.
The K-Mart has it out now. I just picked it up for $15.

Sessa17 03-04-04 03:33 PM

Originally posted by duckhouse
The K-Mart has it out now. I just picked it up for $15.

That's too funny. I literally came here to post that the Big K-Mart on Route 18 also has a ton of them. I should have checked here first, would have saved me a trip. They also had it for $15 but the thrill isn't there anymore, isn't the street date this Tues?

Chad 03-04-04 06:33 PM

Stopped by K-Mart today and there was around 4 to 5 copies. I almost overlooked them because they were stocked at the very bottom shelf of the children's DVD's across from the new release section. This has to be the first time I ever recall them breaking street date on anything!

Thanks OP! :up:

cultshock 03-04-04 08:59 PM

I've seen it at several Walmarts in Canada for $19.88 Cdn.

Xytraguptorh 03-04-04 09:12 PM

Thanks so much for posting about this. I found one at my local Kmart. Apparently it was the last copy.

I'll double dip on this one when the SE comes out, but I'm thrilled to have my hands on the single-disc edition so early.

LivingINClip 03-04-04 10:30 PM

The comment about Best Buy not being stupid is incorrect, I got 'Day of the Dead' two weeks early at Best Buy.

Kromax 03-05-04 07:49 AM

K-Mart in Penn Station NYC has 'em.

scottp120 03-05-04 08:29 AM

I also got Day Of The Dead at Best Buy 1 week early.

Hollow Man 03-05-04 10:21 AM

Wow, I'm shocked Best Buy broke street. Why are so many stores doing this? Maybe they figure Anchor Bay won't do anything about it.

-HM

cultshock 03-05-04 05:49 PM

I don't think that breaking street date with a catalog title causes anywhere near the amount of concern than doing the same thing with a new release title would. Plus Anchor Bay doesn't really have much clout to penalize retailers like a major studio would.

BlackBeauty92 03-05-04 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Hollow Man
Wow, I'm shocked Best Buy broke street. Why are so many stores doing this? Maybe they figure Anchor Bay won't do anything about it.

-HM

they probably won't....

i mean c'mon, as long the sellers can sell AB stuff, they'll fine with it...

:)

DarthVong 03-05-04 08:14 PM

Found mine at the local Super K in Amherst Ohio. The picture quality is excellent for this release. Im looking forward to the Deluxe Version in the fall.

CrashNBurn69 03-07-04 01:57 AM

some people have already found it at sam's club for only $11.83. i'll be on that like stink on.......something stinky.

asianxcore 03-07-04 01:32 PM

Bought a copy yesterday at the Petaluma, California K-Mart for 14.99. They still have 3 copies left I believe if anyone wants to know. They are right across from the DVDs in the glass case, stocked with the VHS'.

Supermallet 03-07-04 03:43 PM

I was just about to sell my anniversary edition until I saw in this thread that it's a different cut from any other release. Oh well.

Tyler_Durden 03-07-04 04:01 PM

Could anybody tell me if the disc is R1 or R0?

OldBoy 03-07-04 06:06 PM

why does it matter if it is R1 or R0..don't they both play the same?..anyway, mine has a 1 on the center of a globe so i assume that means R1..hope that helps.

chemosh6969 03-07-04 06:38 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
why does it matter if it is R1 or R0..don't they both play the same
It says his location is Finland, so unless he has a dvd player that plays region 1, they aren't the same.

bobertkay99 03-08-04 02:27 PM

Any info on the rumored mega edition to be released later on? The one with 3 differnt versions and lots of extras included?

Tyler_Durden 03-08-04 03:19 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
why does it matter if it is R1 or R0..don't they both play the same?
What? It matters because a lot of people live outside the USA and don't have multiregion players. (I'm not one of them but that's beside the point.)

..anyway, mine has a 1 on the center of a globe so i assume that means R1..hope that helps.
Thanks... A lot of Anchor Bay discs are R0, and also, the back cover information isn't always 100% trustworthy. Could somebody with the means to check the region code see if it really is R1?

TomOpus 03-08-04 06:48 PM

Originally posted by bobertkay99
Any info on the rumored mega edition to be released later on? The one with 3 differnt versions and lots of extras included?
Nope... we're all anxiously waiting to see the final specs. It should be a humdinger :)

grune 03-11-04 10:24 PM

Has anyone had any problems with this disk? So far i've only watched this with the commentary but it repeated a section of the movie somewhere around the middle. After it played that section it continued on without any problems. My player is a Pioneer if that matters.

matome 03-12-04 08:55 AM

Watched it last night on my Sony. No problem here.