DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Dawn of the Dead:Divimax SE - Available over 1 week before release date! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/350094-dawn-dead-divimax-se-available-over-1-week-before-release-date.html)

Father Karras 02-29-04 10:18 AM

Dawn of the Dead:Divimax SE - Available over 1 week before release date!

Picked up the new Dawn of the Dead: Divimax SE today at a local Kmart for $14.99. That's almost a week and a half before the March 9th release date if anyone is interested...

A-aron 02-29-04 10:33 AM

just like in real estate ...

location? location? location?

OldBoy 02-29-04 10:57 AM

also, if you order from digital eyes you should get it a week or so early..i expect it to be shipped tomorrow. i have yet to recieve a new release on or after actual, always a week before, sometimes even more.

gutwrencher 02-29-04 11:00 AM

I'll try...but nothin' that good ever happens around here. thanks for the heads-up.

clappj 02-29-04 11:19 AM

Wanna trade it? :D

gutwrencher 02-29-04 12:47 PM

Father...you are my HERO!!! just went in and snagged it. they had 6 copies.

Drop 02-29-04 12:52 PM

Any New Jersey sightings, preferably in central NJ?

whynotsmile 02-29-04 01:24 PM

should i get this or wait for the super mega edition?

Sessa17 02-29-04 01:28 PM

P

Originally posted by Drop
Any New Jersey sightings, preferably in central NJ?
Holy crap dude, I'm in Woodbridge also (Colonia), so post here or if you find one & I'll do the same:)

Darryl 02-29-04 01:29 PM

It's easily worth the $15.00.... The first version Anchor Bay issued sold for $30.00 and was an (ugh) FLIPPER disc (no dolphins were injured in the making of the film).

Drop 02-29-04 01:41 PM

Well I might go looking later, Sessa, so whatever my finding are, you can bet I'll have a report.

steebo777 02-29-04 01:41 PM

Must get this disc immediately. :drool:

Sessa17 02-29-04 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Drop
Well I might go looking later, Sessa, so whatever my finding are, you can bet I'll have a report.
K-Mart in Colonia3/Avenel & Best Buy in Woodbridge definitely don't have it out yet. I stopped by both today.

KSC2-303 02-29-04 03:10 PM

The question about double dipping is "how much will the box set be"?

I'm waiting for the box set personally, but I might change my mind when the price is released.

I'll buy the box set for around $40 max, but i'm not going to pay $75~ for one movie.

TomOpus 02-29-04 06:09 PM

Whoever finds one, don't forget to hide it first.

scarredgod 02-29-04 06:12 PM

ill wait until release day for a better price.

this is going to be the only DVD i ever bought when i knew, or thought, a new version will be coming later, which i will buy as well.

snoopydoggy2002 02-29-04 06:30 PM

nice one tomopus

LivingINClip 02-29-04 08:38 PM

Also got a copy at K-Mart, Somerset , Kentucky.

DarthMaul420 02-29-04 09:15 PM

I picked one up last Friday at K-mart. Couldn't believe it was on the shelf! What cut of the film is this supposed to be? I have the previous theatrical cut and the new version seems to have some dialogue missing. The "real brothers" speech isn't on my copy?

BlackBeauty92 02-29-04 11:12 PM

i believe it's the theater cut

the director's & international cuts will come in the next coming deluxe set

welb25 03-01-04 04:12 PM

I found it today, also at Kmart. Thanks for the heads up Father Karras. Darthmaul, if you read this review of the new dvd, http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dawn_2004.html it says that the first U.S. Theatrical Cut (also known as the Anniversary Edition) that Anchor Bay released had a scene or two included that was actually from the Director's Cut, making the Anniversary Edition more of a hybrid between the Director's Cut and the true Theatrical Cut. They say this new disc is the true theatrical cut but I have no idea if that's true, I wasn't around to see it when it was first released in 1978.

rsortor 03-01-04 04:30 PM

Another thanks to Father Karras! I picked it up at the Glenstone & Battlefield K-Mart in Springfield, MO.

Geofferson 03-01-04 04:47 PM

Looks like I'll be stopping by K-Mart on my way home...

sracer 03-01-04 04:55 PM

Originally posted by welb25
I found it today, also at Kmart. Thanks for the heads up Father Karras. Darthmaul, if you read this review of the new dvd, http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dawn_2004.html it says that the first U.S. Theatrical Cut (also known as the Anniversary Edition) that Anchor Bay released had a scene or two included that was actually from the Director's Cut, making the Anniversary Edition more of a hybrid between the Director's Cut and the true Theatrical Cut. They say this new disc is the true theatrical cut but I have no idea if that's true, I wasn't around to see it when it was first released in 1978.
Yes, that is true. I call it the "accidental cut". ;) It is actually my favorite of all the versions available.

sicklerice 03-01-04 05:21 PM

Why not wait for the big honkin' boxed set do out later this year?

What self repecting Romero fan doesn't already have the nonanamorphic release of the theatrical cut?

I'm waiting for that big bad mofo box in Sept.

If you want to excite me, tell me that you've seen the Media Blasters ZOMBI 2 in a store....

Hehe.

DarthMaul420 03-01-04 05:25 PM

Originally posted by welb25
Ahhh Thanks! That makes sense! I have never seen the director's cut so
I didn't know where the extra scenes came from. I figured they were always in the theatrical cut.

sracer 03-01-04 05:37 PM

Originally posted by sicklerice

What self repecting Romero fan doesn't already have the nonanamorphic release of the theatrical cut?

I'm waiting for that big bad mofo box in Sept.

If you want to excite me, tell me that you've seen the Media Blasters ZOMBI 2 in a store....

Hehe.

I already have AB's Anniversary disc that is OOP. I will be picking up this Divimax release... and I'll pick up the the mega set later on (if it ever materializes).

Plans change. Things happen. Until both releases materialize, we don't know for certain what extras will be available on which release. Dawn of the Dead is important enough for me to have different versions. When the dust settles and all are released, THEN I'll decide which if any I'll get rid of... sell, or most likely simply give away. But hey, that's me. ;)

H.E Pennypacker 03-01-04 06:11 PM

For those in Canada may want to check out their Walmarts, I picked up an early copy there.

TomOpus 03-01-04 06:23 PM

I went to my local KMart. Nada. KMart sucks, in general, but the one closest to me sucks as far as KMarts go. They can't even break a street date correctly. :grunt:

;)

gutwrencher 03-01-04 08:03 PM

screw waiting.

me.:p

scottp120 03-01-04 08:51 PM

Tried K-Mart this morning and nothing. I'll try Wal-Mart tomorrow when I get School of Rock.

Jray 03-02-04 09:39 AM

I was just searching for reviews of this DVD and happened upon this thread. I can't find any "official" reviews anywhere (I see that dvdmaniacs has one... I mean a more "mainstream" site). Yet the DVD is apparently out all over the place. What's up with that? I guess it just isn't a high enough profile movie? I would have thought that a week before release, a review would be out.

Can't wait to get my grubby paws on this one to complete the trilogy! Guess I'll check my K- and Wal-marts tonight.

actyper 03-02-04 11:19 AM

Sorry for my ignorance on dawn of the dead don't know much about it, but is this the same movie as the one coming to theatres later this year? I saw a trailer for it in another movie, and now I see dvd releases for it, and I guess i'm pretty confused right now. thx

sicklerice 03-02-04 11:25 AM

Dawn of the Dead on DVD is one of the great horror movies of all time. Dawn of the Dead (2004) has all the portent of a terrible pathetic coat-tail attempt on 28 Days Later.....

I could be wrong, but I'm expecting DOTD 04 to suck in large fashion based on the trailers.

welb25 03-02-04 11:29 AM

actyper, the dvd we are talking about is the original classic that was released in 1978. The one you saw trailers for is the remake.

Jray 03-02-04 11:32 AM

Originally posted by actyper
Sorry for my ignorance on dawn of the dead don't know much about it, but is this the same movie as the one coming to theatres later this year? I saw a trailer for it in another movie, and now I see dvd releases for it, and I guess i'm pretty confused right now. thx
The Dawn of the Dead coming out on DVD is the original George Romero (written and directed) movie from 1978. The one coming to theaters later this year is a new remake that has no involvement from Romero at all.

Doug Schiller 03-02-04 02:08 PM

Picked mine up today at a local bric"K" and "Mort"or store.

The transfer looks awesome. If this is what DiviMax can do, I may have to pick up their Halloween release.
I think it even looks better than Day of the Dead Divimax.

Bad news for some, no DDEX or DTS-ES discrete soundtrack like it was rumoured to be.

Doug

scott shelton 03-02-04 03:47 PM

Dawn of the Dead on DVD is one of the great horror movies of all time. Dawn of the Dead (2004) has all the portent of a terrible pathetic coat-tail attempt on 28 Days Later.....

DAWN 2004 was already in production when 28 DAYS LATER came out.

kurupt 03-02-04 03:58 PM

I found one at KMart also. Good find.

El Kabong 03-02-04 05:10 PM

Just got one also at KMart. They just put them out today! Awesome picture & sound!