Community
Search

ED WOOD (or why I hate "search")

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 07:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ED WOOD (or why I hate "search")

I read through all the recent ED WOOD threads from the last couple weeks because I wanted to find out why it was pulled from the shelves (so to speak), but none of the threads seemed to say why...only the success stories of finding it and whether or not to open it, etc.

So, I tried DVD Talk Reviews....no luck.

Then I tried searching the DVD Talk forum and got this...

"Displaying Topics 1 to 25 of 5910"

As a working mother of 3, I don't have time to look through 5,910 thread titles (and subsequently, the threads contents) to find out why this DVD was pulled instantly.

Could some kind soul with an extra moment or two enlighten me, please?

Thank you very much!!!
Old 02-27-04, 07:17 PM

The only "official" reason given was that the studio wants to find a better time to release the dvd. The Oscars are comming up and people are speculating that they want to redo the cover if either Johnny Depp or Bill Murray (both star in Ed Wood) happen to win an award, so they can put this on the cover.

A lot of people don't belive this at all. Many believe that the studio didn't have the rights to some of the supplements on the disc and it was pulled for legal reasons.

There are also some people stating they have had problems with the dvd, so they believe it's defective, but from all the posts I've read the majority of people out there have had no problems at all with it.

What it all comes down to is that until the studio comes out with more details of why it's been recalled, no one really has the answer. Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-04, 07:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yes, it is very helpful, thank you. I was just hoping that it wasn't a case where a director's cut was released and then it's recalled so that a shorter theatrical release version could replace it. I heard that has happened at least once before.
Old 02-27-04, 07:40 PM

I "heard" about the director's cut, but I don't believe it was on the dvd that was just recalled. I don't know, because I couldn't get a copy. I'm from Canada and there appears to have been none that leaked through up here. I'm trying to trade off my ROBOCOP : Criterion dvd right now to get one.
Old 02-27-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard that people were having trouble finding the DVD in stores, so they pulled them to change the cover to this:

That should help 'em out.

K
Old 02-28-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm leaning towards the defect theory. I have a second-generation Sony DVP-S300 that is a real warhorse. It has read every disc I've put in it, even the titles that give other players fits. But it does hiccup several times during "Ed Wood."

Even if it is defective, Disney is pretty good about replacing bad discs. If "Ed Wood" turns out to be defective and is reissued with the same extras later on, I'll just exchange it.
Old 02-28-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else notice this tear?

I just watched Ed Wood tonight and noticed this big tear. The disc played perfectly in my Denon DVD-2200 without any hiccups. The transfer looked really nice but there were a few anomolies in the print along with this huge tear.

This big tear was the worst I saw. It's at about 29:20. It's only one frame so it's hard to catch.

I really doubt this had anything to do with why it was pulled but I thought I'd let everyone know. The Stargate UE DVD has a huge burnt hole in one frame of the film.

Last edited by The Void; 02-28-04 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-28-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts
Ouch!! that is one nasty tear. I watch the scene and notice the tear however it was pretty brief so it was hardly a distraction. I don't know what the real reason it's recalled, but I'm pretty sure it well be back soon.
Old 02-28-04, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That tear is called "a special effect"
Old 02-28-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, the tear is the reason this movie will be MONEY when it is rereleased. The tear won't be there!!!