Community
Search

The Shadow - SE ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 09:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shadow

So with various special editions of previously bare bone releases in the works (Good, Bad, and The Ugly, The Great Escape, Warner's new titles, etc), has anyone heard anything about a SE for The Shadow?

I'm sure it isn't a priority for Universal, but this movie deserves a release with SOME features. A theatrical trailer at the very least.

On it's aspect ratio, does anyone know how it was shot? Was it in widescreen (and if so, 2:35:1 or 1:85:1?) or for some reason was it 1:33:1? I would assume it was in widescreen and Universal just cheapened out on the DVD.

I'd like a SE of The Shadow to have at least these features:

-Widescreen
-director commentary
-theatrical trailer(s)
-tv spot(s)
-any behind the scenes featurettes

Not disc of the year worthy but it would certainly beat the full frame, special feature free cheapie that I and I'm betting others have passed on in favor of something better.

Last edited by Gotham_Knight; 02-27-04 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-27-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, your thread title roped me in. I was hoping there was new news.

I would love to have an SE as well.
Old 02-27-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argh! This is one of my favority films, and it is only available in FULL FRAME! It is also the ONLY DVD that I have that came in a CD case, instead of a standard DVD-sized case ... damn early Universal releases!

I am selling my current DVD anyway (along with a bunch of other titles I double-dipped for).

I'll have to live with my WIDESCREEN DTS Laserdisc, until something better becomes available.
Old 02-27-04, 10:38 AM
Cool New Member

If they went to the trouble of a widescreen laserdisc, then when it came to the DVD why didn't they just use that transfer? Cheap indeed.

With the studios redoing alot of standard and bare bones releases, I hope, nay pray, that Universal redoes The Shadow. Widescreen and theatrical trailer as the only features? Being that I've been wanting a good DVD of this movie for a long time, I'd be more than happy with just those two features.
Old 02-27-04, 12:03 PM

Another disc I double-dipped for.

Ordered the R2 Shadow in anamorphic WWWIIIDDDEEE SSCCREEEEENNN a week back. I paid, but it hasn't arrived yet.

(pant pant pant pant pant)
Old 02-27-04, 12:28 PM
Banned

Maybe Universal is waiting for Alec Baldwin to become popular again.
Old 02-28-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, The Cooler did gather him some rave reviews for his performance...but I would agree with you that he has made some rather poor acting choices these past few years...
Old 02-28-04, 10:53 AM
Banned

This is one of the only upgrades I would double dip for. As a huge Shadow fan from radio and pulp, it's my opinion the movie was pretty damn good.

Not perfect, but the first 20 minutes nail it!

Makes the earlier attempts to put Lamont to the screen (I'm looking at your Victor) pale.
Old 02-28-04, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Liquid Death
Well, The Cooler did gather him some rave reviews for his performance...but I would agree with you that he has made some rather poor acting choices these past few years...
After The Hunt For Red October, I thought that Alec Baldwin would become a big leading man in films. He was great as Jack Ryan. Instead, Alec Baldwin decided he would rather be a political activist than an actor. This has hurt his career more than anything. This is the guy who said that members of Congress who sat on the Impeachment panel and their families should be stoned to death on the Tonight Show. His judgment is poor to say the least. The rumors of him being a wife beater have not helped his career either. Mr. Baldwin is his own worst enemy. By the way, I did think he was superb as the Shadow. I wished that there had been a series of these films.
Old 02-28-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched this recently. I totally didn't realize that Gandalf played the girls dad. I wouldn't be surprised if they released this again with Ian Mckellen's mug covering the whole front cover.
Old 02-28-04, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
I just watched this recently. I totally didn't realize that Gandalf played the girls dad. I wouldn't be surprised if they released this again with Ian Mckellen's mug covering the whole front cover.
I had forgotten this as well. He does get around, doesn't he?
Old 02-28-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've got a guaranteed buy from me.
Old 02-28-04, 11:21 PM

Great movie that I'd double dip on, as well.
Old 02-29-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have the original jewel box release. Will buy any SE edition.
Old 02-29-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too would want this film as an SE. I would buy it and I know a few others would too...
Old 02-29-04, 11:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
With the popularity of comic-based films right now, you'd think this was a no-brainer.

One feature not mentioned by Gotham Knight would be a featurette on the history of the character.

Or how about an "illustrated" (by a storyboard or comic artist) playing of one of the classic radio serials?
Old 02-29-04, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JordanGLC
With the popularity of comic-based films right now, you'd think this was a no-brainer.

One feature not mentioned by Gotham Knight would be a featurette on the history of the character.

Or how about an "illustrated" (by a storyboard or comic artist) playing of one of the classic radio serials?
You could fill the history of the charcter over 4 hours there is so much history.

Anthony Tollin is the leading expert on the radio show...not sure how in depth he is on the pulp charcter.

I enjoy both of them, that is why I enjoy the movie so much, because the blend the two of them together rather nicely.

And while I loath Baldwin as a man, I do like him in the role.
Old 02-29-04, 01:09 PM

I really like this movie but don't own it because I refuse to buy the bare bones Full Frame disc. I wouldn't mind a bare bones release as long as it was in widescreen. A special edition would be even better. Hopefully Universal will wake up.
Old 02-29-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JordanGLC
Especially one of the ones where Orson Welles plays Cranston/The Shodow. I have some tapes and they are simply awesome.
Old 02-29-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was a fun flick, I'd love a SE of it. Haven't seen it since I rented the video back in 95 (I think).
Old 02-29-04, 11:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
This is the guy who said that members of Congress who sat on the Impeachment panel and their families should be stoned to death on the Tonight Show.
Link?
Old 03-01-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-01-04, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Link?
First, I erred. It was on Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

Here are some links:

http://secure.mediaresearch.org/news...990111p4b.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/InDepth/archi...19981224b.html

I am surprised that you were unaware of this. It made quite a sensation at the time. I remember seeing the streaming video clip online. Baldwin looked insane. He was not kidding. He was enraged.
Old 03-01-04, 10:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He didn't say they should be stoned to death, he said that if we lived in another couple, they probably would be stoned to death. Huge difference.
Old 03-01-04, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
He didn't say they should be stoned to death, he said that if we lived in another couple, they probably would be stoned to death. Huge difference.
Why would they be stoned to death if they lived in another couple? What the hell does that mean?

Especially one of the ones where Orson Welles plays Cranston/The Shodow. I have some tapes and they are simply awesome.

Actually, I love Welles and all, but he is the worst radio Shadow...though he was the one who started the 30 mintue shows.

The best shows are with Bill Johnston who took over for Welles. The writing is more horror/fantasy and less ganster like Welles was. The last one Bret Morrison is pretty good too, though alot of his shows do not exist.

All in all there are over 230 radio shows of the Shadow, a ton of great shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.