Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Seelab 2021/Harvey Birdman

Old 02-27-04, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news about the Seelab 2021 DVD boxset, I love this show BUT, They claim that Harvey Birdman will not be released due to the fact they don't have 22 episodes but the Seelab set is only 13 episodes.
What gives?
Old 02-27-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Good question. It may be due to the fact that Birdman can't aquire all the rights to evey episode, so they list 22 as their number they like to use as a buffer. Or it could just be a cop-out.
Old 02-27-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its a rights issue. I know everything featured on there is WB but the creators of Scooby Doo, Flintstones, etc might want a cut or not want a dvd released at all with their characters.
Old 02-27-04, 10:19 AM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
The Adult Swim DVDs are a textbook example of greed in Hollywood.

Some episodes of SGC2C were cut because guests wanted a cut, like as if Jim Carrey would make millions from royalties. It's a cult show with a small fanbase that doesn't buy it for the celebrities, but for the show itself. Are celebrities so egomaniacal that they think people buy 5 hours of content because they are on it for 2 minutes?

I seriously hope with the advent of DVD's enormous popularity that contracts are created with the stipulation that the artists have no right to royalties in regards to home video releases, or something to that effect.

Nothing pisses me off more to find tv episodes altered/pulled because someone wants more.
Old 02-27-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was said earlier that they won't think about a DVD until they have aired atleast 22 (I thought it was 24 actually) episodes, not that they will put 22 episodes on the DVD.

Found this:
The next set due out is the more recent series, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, the first of the new Adult Swim programs to reach a full season of 24 episodes. Soon after, Sealab 2021 will reach the 24-episode mark, making it eligible for DVD release. Other Adult Swim series, such as the recent addition, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, and the returning Space Ghost spin-off, The Brak Show, are expected to follow as soon as they reach the 24-episode mark"
From Here
Old 02-27-04, 12:34 PM

^Sealab 2021 art^
Old 02-27-04, 12:58 PM

Seelab? WhereLab?
Old 02-27-04, 01:43 PM

Seelab
Sorry my bad!
Old 02-27-04, 09:27 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every character on Harvey Birdman is wholey owned by Hanna Barbara, rights are not a problem. Rather the fact there are only 8 episodes done is. This fall they will finish the aditional 15 or so required for a dvd set that is planned for Spring 2005.
Old 02-28-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the actors who refuse to let their SG episodes be released on DVD are still not getting the cut because they are not on the DVD and the fans are just out those episodes, so it's a lose lose situation. One would think that the actors/studios would want to release those episodes on DVD. This only encourages bootleggers (and that's from Adult Swim themselves; they aired the episodes not on the first DVD and told bootleggers to get their VCRs and DVD recorders ready) and that's another lose lose situation in my book, because now the only way I will own those episodes is to pay thru the nose to somebody lucky enough to own an DVD recorder when they aired those episodes.

And how much money would Jim Carey have gotten anyway? For two minutes of airtime? He probably pisses on more than that in his bathroom. It's amazing his ego has allowed In Living Color to come to DVD.
Old 02-28-04, 02:30 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
One would think that the actors/studios would want to release those episodes on DVD. This only encourages bootleggers (and that's from Adult Swim themselves; they aired the episodes not on the first DVD and told bootleggers to get their VCRs and DVD recorders ready) and that's another lose lose situation in my book, because now the only way I will own those episodes is to pay thru the nose to somebody lucky enough to own an DVD recorder when they aired those episodes.
Other then all those people that share them on the various P2P networks...
Old 02-28-04, 02:37 PM

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea, cuz that is where you'll find me. Underneath the Sealab. underneath the water. Sealab. At the bottom of the sea.

I think Sealab has one of the catchiest theme songs out there.
Old 02-28-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get why Sealab 2021 is on 2 discs at all. Each episode is what? 11 minutes? Multiply that by the 13 or so episodes...that could EASILY fit on one disc. Also, what the hell is taking them so long to make more episodes? I love the show and I'll probably buy the DVD, but I really think they should've waited until there were more episodes to put on there.
Old 02-28-04, 03:13 PM
Banned

For any that care, here's the episodes from the first 2 seasons of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast that were not on the DVD.

It's a shame that A Space Ghost Christmas and President's Day Nightmare weren't on there, those were two of the funniest shows they did.

9. Self Help - Rich Hall, Dr Joyce Brothers, Anka Radakovich

10. The Mask - Jim Carey, Charles Russell

11. Gum, Disease - Branford Marsalis, Danny Bonaduce

12. Special (A Space Ghost Christmas) - Kevin Meaney

13. President's Day Nightmare - Craig McCracken, Pat Ventura, Van Partible, Eugene Mattos, Genndy Tartakovsky, Dian Parkinson

18. Le Livre D'Histoire - Jim Carey, Charles Russell, James Kirkconnell, Carl Clark