Reload this Page >

Canadian Pulp Fiction: SE?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...SBW/dvdtalk-20

They don't list any specs, and I can't find them elsewhere.

Does anyone have this? Does it contain any content that's different from the US Collector's Edition?
Old 02-26-04, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you offend MANY Canadians let me say this:

Just because it's FRENCH doesn't mean it's Canadian. 90% of Canada or more does NOT speak French. That would be like saying just because you have some spanish speaking people in your country, then everyone in your country speaks Spanish.

I would call this the FRENCH version of Pulp Fiction. I have never seen this cover or version of this movie in the stores. We have English on our DVDs in this country.

Anyways, to answer your question? Don't expect anything new or special on this. Prob nothing at all.

Last edited by Masamune; 02-26-04 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the Canadian SE that's been out for years, a favorite of many importers before the US special edition came out.
Old 02-26-04, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
That's the Canadian SE that's been out for years, a favorite of many importers before the US special edition came out.
Wrong.

We had the normal version, thank you. You must be talking about Quebec.
Old 02-26-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Masamune
Wrong.

We had the normal version, thank you. You must be talking about Quebec.
It is listed as an Alliance DVD on the site. Alliance is Canadian.
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...786361-0606421

The image they have is the out-of-print France r2 from 1999.
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...306149-3664137

Amazon.ca has apparently just used the wrong image for the existing SE, or the SE is being reissued with a new cover. I would suggest that you know your facts before you assume people are wrong... thank you.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-26-04 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Before you offend MANY Canadians let me say this:

Just because it's FRENCH doesn't mean it's Canadian. 90% of Canada or more does NOT speak French.
Hi. This is an R1 Canada-only release. Regardless of whether it's in French or English, it's an Alliance Atlantis Canada-only DVD.

I could call that a "Canadian" release. Since it is.

This isn't the 1999 SE that was the best R1 version for years. This is a newer release, put out shortly after the US 2-disc.

Release Information:
Studio: Alliance (Universal)
DVD Release Date: September 3, 2002

Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Language: English
• ASIN: B00006BSBW
I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this title.

So far no one has offered any. That's fine. Thanks for trying to start an argument over a simple question.
Old 02-26-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it's not the old favorite. Well, I was wrong about that, then.

Odd that they'd use the french cover... unless it's a bilingual reversible cover...
Old 02-26-04, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Amazon.ca is famous for using the wrong covers for many products. So I don't know about the cover. I found the new Alliance disc at another Canadian etailer, too, and apparently it's a 2-disc (although they don't list any specs either). It was either Playcentric or DVD Soon. Or NorthAmericanDVD. I've been looking all over.

It's silly, I know, but I try to maximise my Amazon.ca orders and bundle as much into them as I can before I place it. Since I'm already ordering two other things from them, I'm thinking that I'd pick up the Pulp Fiction disc if it has different special features, interviews, etc.
Old 02-26-04, 02:28 PM

I'd say more than half of my DVD collection is Alliance Atlantis, with 95% of those are exactly the same as the US discs. Alliance Atlantis just brings them to Canada, and sometimes changes the cover art, but everything else stays the same. Or at least that's what I've always believed.

I think they used the wrong picture for the website.

Should be the exact same DVD as the US 2-disc SE.
Old 02-26-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Hi. This is an R1 Canada-only release. Regardless of whether it's in French or English, it's an Alliance Atlantis Canada-only DVD.

I could call that a "Canadian" release. Since it is.
Exactly.

I've re-read Masamune's a couple times now and I'm still
Old 02-26-04, 03:15 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by NobleRabbit
I'd say more than half of my DVD collection is Alliance Atlantis, with 95% of those are exactly the same as the US discs. Alliance Atlantis just brings them to Canada, and sometimes changes the cover art, but everything else stays the same. Or at least that's what I've always believed.
That's usually the case, but then there are a few instances where the extras are different, or even the transfer.

The Lost in Translation disc, for instance, has a better transfer on the Alliance version.

Should be the exact same DVD as the US 2-disc SE.
I thought it may be, but the Buena Vista titles are sometimes different - I was hoping they were, because it's one of my favourite films, and I was a bit dissatisfied with even the 2-disc version from Miramax/BV.

However, their Jackie Brown disc made up for it.
Old 02-26-04, 03:20 PM

They may have released it to Canada only, but it this was intended for the Quebec market.

Trust me, I saw the VERY first release of PF on DVD years ago. We had the same one as the 1st in the US. We never had this one.
Old 02-26-04, 03:37 PM
Suspended

How can you tell? The cover is from the French R2, and Amazon.ca doesn't list the specs.

On what are you basing your information?
Old 02-26-04, 04:00 PM

How can you tell? The cover is from the French R2, and Amazon.ca doesn't list the specs.

On what are you basing your information?
It may be possible that the pic from Amazon is just wrong.
Old 02-26-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It may be possible that the pic from Amazon is just wrong.
"Possible"? It's possible the sun is gonna come out tomorrow, now that three other people in this thread have told me it will.

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong and that you don't know anything about this disc? You clearly over-reacted to him calling a Canadian DVD "Canadian", despite it being on amazon.ca; you could at *least* apologize for that.

It seems like this thread is getting filled up with a lot of angry back-and-forth (naturally including this post) and everybody's ignoring the question the dude is asking.

Incidentally, DVDcompare says there's three seconds of cuts on the Canadian disc. I don't know if it's this one, but, since it seems obvious that nobody has any reason why it might possibly be *better* than the American, maybe you should just order the American and be satisfied?
Old 02-26-04, 08:56 PM
Suspended

I have both of the American releases (although there's no reason to keep the original with the new release being so much better). But I'm a huge fan of the film, and don't have a multi-region player (except my computer) so the possibility of a R1 DVD with different extras material is compelling for me enough to buy this one again (especially since it's so cheap on Amazon.ca).

And I was already placing an order there for some other discs, so I figured maybe I just never heard about the Canadian release and there could be extra stuff on it that wasn't on the US version.

Eh. No big deal. I may just buy it anyway and if it's the same as the US I'm sure I could give it to someone. Most of my friends love this movie, so it wouldn't be hard to find an extra copy a home.
Old 02-26-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They may have released it to Canada only, but it this was intended for the Quebec market.

Trust me, I saw the VERY first release of PF on DVD years ago. We had the same one as the 1st in the US. We never had this one.
What year did they release the DVD your talking about. I have had a Canadian Alliance version since 99 and it had extras such as deleted scenes. Do I have a second release. I always thought it was the first release and much better than the barebones version released here in the States.
Old 02-26-04, 09:57 PM

that guy was really harsh!...

as a Canadian (and living in Québec)...I "feel" his comments being agressive...

might be just me !
Old 02-26-04, 10:15 PM
Suspended

There was a Canadian version back in 1999 that was much better than the US version at the time. Then in the summer of 2002 Miramax put out a nice 2-disc SE in the states - and in September, Alliance put out a 2-disc SE. But I don't know if they're different again or if they're the same.

Hence, my original post.
Old 02-27-04, 02:08 AM

The best version, according to http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...ge.php?fid=366 is the French R2 disc (3 disc).
Old 02-27-04, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Tha Freak
that guy was really harsh!...

as a Canadian (and living in Québec)...I "feel" his comments being agressive...

might be just me !
I wasn't being harsh to Quebecers at all. I just get annoyed when people from the US see French on something and assume all people in Canada are french. Same goes for French stereotypes.

All Canadians rule.
Old 02-27-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just get annoyed when people from the US see French on something and assume all people in Canada are french. Same goes for French stereotypes.
And where in the original post did that happen? jough just provided a link to a Region 1 DVD and asked if the disc had any content that was different than the U.S. collector's edition.
Old 02-27-04, 11:32 AM
Cool New Member

And, by the way, this "90% of Canada or more does NOT speak French" is far from accurate (even if I suspect that a few english-speaking Canadian wish it was true)...

Just by taking a look at the "Statistics Canada" website, you will see that, in 1996 (last census), 23.8% of Canadians declared french as one of their mother tongue (including 23.3% who declared french as their ONLY mother tongue).

Population by Mother Tongue

And, of the remaining 76.2%, I'm convinced that many english-speaking Canadians can speak french very fluently...

Just wanted to rectify some facts.
Old 02-27-04, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Well, I'm an American and I speak French, so where does that leave me?

I know the urge to threadcrap with your own political agenda is tempting, and I appreciate that you've all reigned-in your threadcrapping (or tightened your virtual sphincters).

I looked for a comparison at DVD Beaver, but didn't see the DVDcompare.net one. Thanks for the link (although this page doesn't include the second R1 (Canada SE) disc).

The R2 looks nice, even if 95% of the special features are also included on the R1 - it's a pity that it's PAL, though. I wonder if the "Plus de Pulp" is the same as our US subtitle trivia track, only en français?

Last edited by jough; 02-27-04 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-27-04, 12:00 PM

There was a Canadian version back in 1999 that was much better than the US version at the time. Then in the summer of 2002 Miramax put out a nice 2-disc SE in the states - and in September, Alliance put out a 2-disc SE. But I don't know if they're different again or if they're the same.

Hence, my original post.
The US and Canadian 2 disc SE's are the same save for the packaging with is bilingual and made from much, much cheaper material and some copies were missing the Jack Rabbit Slims menu. It may have added a French track if the US disc didn't have one but aside from those they are the same.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.