Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Six feet under season 2 is coming out in June 2004!

Like what the F#@$#...

Why do they take forever to release...I'm sure their must be some rational to this.

Like look at Sopranos the F$#$ing 5th season is just gonna start, I mean these HBO guys take the piss out everything...

So why do you guys think they wait that long to release the seaon sets...
Old 02-26-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice language...

Anyway, seriously, you aren't even close to being right. TV shows are released on DVD quicker and quicker with each passing season. The Simple Life, Punk'd, Chappelle's show all were out unbelievably quick. Even Sopranos has a very fast release schedule.

What do you want? A DVD available the day after the show airs?
Old 02-26-04, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Nice language...

Anyway, seriously, you aren't even close to being right. TV shows are released on DVD quicker and quicker with each passing season. The Simple Life, Punk'd, Chappelle's show all were out unbelievably quick. Even Sopranos has a very fast release schedule.

Hai Josh..Sorry about the language, just needed to vent since I found out that Six feet Under is coming out this July...

I should have made this question different..like popular/demanding/HBO TV shows taking longer...It takes the Sopranos almost a year from the date the show finishes its season..Six Feet Under S2 Finishied over a year ago..they going to start Season 4 in Sept. if I''m right..

So sure shows Like "Punked" get released cause if they don't and they wait 10 months no will remember the show.....

So I'm right on the ball...just I should have phrased my Question right.
Old 02-26-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Originally posted by Veej
Six feet under season 2 is coming out in June 2004!

Like what the F#@$#...

Why do they take forever to release...I'm sure their must be some rational to this.

Like look at Sopranos the F$#$ing 5th season is just gonna start, I mean these HBO guys take the piss out everything...

So why do you guys think they wait that long to release the seaon sets...

If you paid any attention at all, you'd notice that a TV show will usually release a DVD season around the time that a new season is about to be broadcast. Sopranos season released, new season starts next week. Six Feet Under coming out in June, new season starts in June.... etc.

It allows for cross-promotion.
Old 02-26-04, 10:12 AM
Banned

Not all TV shows are released on schedule.

NYPD Blue, Law & Order, Simpsons.... I'm sure there are other sets that are not coming out at a decent pace.

I'm not asking for a break-neck pace like the Star Trek sets, but come on...

What happened to the promise of getting 2 Simpsons sets a year? Even at that pace, it would take about 10 years for them to catch up to the show, but instead they're dribbling them out at one a year if we're lucky.
Old 02-26-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Originally posted by marty888
If you paid any attention at all, you'd notice that a TV show will usually release a DVD season around the time that a new season is about to be broadcast. Sopranos season released, new season starts next week. Six Feet Under coming out in June, new season starts in June.... etc.
In the case of Six Feet Under, I just wish they weren't a year behind. With Season 4 premiering in June, it'd be nice if they were releasing Season 3 on DVD, instead of just getting around to Season 2.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 02-26-04 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 10:23 AM

Nice language...

Hai Josh..Sorry about the language, just needed to vent since I found out that Six feet Under is coming out this July...

I should have made this question different..like popular/demanding/HBO TV shows taking longer...It takes the Sopranos almost a year from the date the show finishes its season..Six Feet Under S2 Finishied over a year ago..they going to start Season 4 in Sept. if I''m right..

So sure shows Like "Punked" get released cause if they don't and they wait 10 months no will remember the show.....

Old 02-26-04, 10:30 AM

Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Originally posted by marty888

It allows for cross-promotion.
Paid Any Attention!....not me.. but you need to....Pay more attention to even what you say.

as RobCA said Six feet under Season 4 is coming out in Sept. and they will still be releasing S2 in July instead of S3.

So as you said about cross promoting ya sure but just keep 1 season behind not 2 and like Simpsons is doing its a decade behind.
Old 02-26-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think that you are overgeneralizing. The Sheild, the #1 rated show on Cable TV (when it's airing), was released quickly. Friends, THE most popular show, is released in three month intervals.

Some shows (Oz comes to mind) are taking longer, but you can't say that ALL do. Perhaps you are just upset because YOUR shows take so long I can commesurate.
Old 02-26-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Paid Any Attention!....not me.. but you need to....Pay more attention to even what you say.

as RobCA said Six feet under Season 4 is coming out in Sept. and they will still be releasing S2 in July instead of S3.

So as you said about cross promoting ya sure but just keep 1 season behind not 2 and like Simpsons is doing its a decade behind.
It's a decade behind because it started 15 years ago. So it's a bad comparison.
Old 02-26-04, 10:48 AM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
From my understanding, the only shows that take a long time to come out on DVD are HBO shows, because they have more to gain for re-running them for a while than pushing them out on DVD ASAP.

Oz is 6 seasons long and has been done with for about a year now, yet we just got season 3 this week.

Keep in mind HBO is a premium channel you have to pay to see. If it wasn't, I'm sure we'd get Oz season 6 this week instead.
Old 02-26-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

I think it's a good comparison. Friends started 10 years ago, but they're already up to Season 6, with Season 7 due out in a little over a month. Meanwhile, The Simpsons is only up to Season 3, and they haven't even announced the first release date for Season 4 yet.

Rob
Old 02-26-04, 10:52 AM

Nice language...Anyway, seriously, you aren't even close to being right. TV shows are released on DVD quicker and quicker with each passing season. The Simple Life, Punk'd, Chappelle's show all were out unbelievably quick. Even Sopranos has a very fast release schedule.
He just has no patience. Try being a fan of a show like "Hill Street Blues".
Old 02-26-04, 10:57 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Not a bad comparison at all.

We were promised 2 seasons a year for The Simpsons.

Hell, things like Star Trek TNG got the entire run released in what... a year, maybe a little longer?
Old 02-26-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

Originally posted by JestersTear
Not a bad comparison at all.

We were promised 2 seasons a year for The Simpsons.

Hell, things like Star Trek TNG got the entire run released in what... a year, maybe a little longer?
I'm not certain I ever saw anything promising a release schedule (but I'm not saying you are wrong either).
Old 02-26-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

DVD release date: June 8

The information I have seen (and I believe that HBO had a brief promo just before the Sex And The City finale) says the new season begins on Sunday, June 6 ..

Posted 1/15/2004 9:16 PM

Change afoot on 'Six Feet Under'
William Keck, USA TODAY
When Six Feet Under returns to HBO on June 6, the Fisher clan will be thrown into "life-altering experiences and sexual experimentation," promises executive producer Alan Poul. "Our intention is to return to the lighter, unpredictable tone of the first two seasons."
Old 02-26-04, 11:14 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do current tv shows take so long to release their DVD

I'm not certain I ever saw anything promising a release schedule (but I'm not saying you are wrong either).
I'll see if I can dig up a reference to it.

The promise was made around the release of season 1. Groenig said that there would only be one release that year, but then we could expect 2 seasons a year after that.
Old 02-26-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not that it would make a big difference for an HBO show, but syndication has a part of the delays.
Old 02-26-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

look at Alias, season 3 isnt even over yet, and season 3 was announced on DVD for Sept... Thats great (especially for me since I just finished season 2 last night and am dying to know what happends)... The timing is getting better.
Old 02-26-04, 11:26 AM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
Originally posted by REL77
look at Alias, season 3 isnt even over yet, and season 3 was announced on DVD for Sept... Thats great (especially for me since I just finished season 2 last night and am dying to know what happends)... The timing is getting better.
True.

And to be honest, they are stretching season 3 out pretty bad. It took I think 4 weeks between the last episode and the one before it, and then it's another 3 weeks after that one for the one coming up NEXT Sunday.

So the series will probably end in May or so with a Sept release. Relatively quick turnaround.