I want a 13th Warrior SE !!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this will probably never happen, but I really love this movie. Most ciritics seemed to have disliked it, but I thought it was a solid flick.
Old 02-26-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and they should name eat "Eaters of the Dead" - a cooler title I thought.
Old 02-26-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, I'd like to see how different it is
From IMDB "The original version, known as Eaters of the Dead and Directed by John McTiernan was originally 127 minutes and slated to be released in May of 1998. But when the film failed test screenings Michael Crichton took over the project and reshot and added new material to the film. He was also involved with the reediting of the film as well and rejected composer Graeme Revell's hour long score. This version of the film has not been seen publicly."
So theres at least a half hour of alternate/deleted material.
Did McTiernan ever comment about being replaced?
Old 02-26-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Maybe they can include some, I don't know, battle scenes that weren't filmed in complete and utter darkness and close-ups so that the viewer can actually follow what's going on?
Old 02-26-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have held off getting the current one and if they did a SE I would get it.
Old 02-26-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
That Jerry Goldsmith score kicks ass. I like it much more than the movie actually. It has some great looking scenes but I was never all that interested in the characters. I'd be interested in seeing McTiernan's original cut though.
Old 02-26-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally love the Jerry Goldsmith score. The Graeme Revell score was much more restrained, and Jerry's score was much more appropriate.

That being said, count me in as one who'd love to see a SE of this movie. It's one of my personal favorite Crichton adaptations, and I'm eager to see the original director's cut.
Old 02-26-04, 11:01 AM

I posted a thread about this about a month ago. I'm certainly in for a SE.
Old 02-26-04, 11:33 AM

I would LOVE a special edition of this film. I have seen this film 20+ times and it inspired me to buy the book "Eaters of the Dead" (excellent book btw).

Here's something interesting as well...

I have done a count several times during the movie and always discovered that there was one warrior missing somewhere. During later viewings I would always search for this missing warrior and I discovered that I wasn't counting the "archer's" (the warrior who was more adept at the bow) son / protege. It was never established that the boy was his son but it would appear to be the case. He is never really acknowledged in the film nor does he have any lines. I would almost guarantee that he was practically cut out of the movie. I believe that all the other warriors have at least one line or they are featured in at least one scene. However, the boy is not.

Again, I would love to see a fully restored version with the deleted scenes added back in.

Old 02-26-04, 11:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by LightTrinity
and they should name eat "Eaters of the Dead" - a cooler title I thought.
Ditto that - I, for one, enjoyed this movie.
Old 02-26-04, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd be willing to double dip on this one. Not the best movie in the world but certainly worth an SE, esp if there is material out there somewhere.
Old 02-26-04, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually loved this movie too, but I am happy with the DVD I got. It has a commentary, good transfer and sound.

No need for a big SE.
Old 02-26-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by SilverScreen
I would LOVE a special edition of this film. I have seen this film 20+ times and it inspired me to buy the book "Eaters of the Dead" (excellent book btw).

Here's something interesting as well...

I have done a count several times during the movie and always discovered that there was one warrior missing somewhere. During later viewings I would always search for this missing warrior and I discovered that I wasn't counting the "archer's" (the warrior who was more adept at the bow) son / protege. It was never established that the boy was his son but it would appear to be the case. He is never really acknowledged in the film nor does he have any lines. I would almost guarantee that he was practically cut out of the movie. I believe that all the other warriors have at least one line or they are featured in at least one scene. However, the boy is not.

Again, I would love to see a fully restored version with the deleted scenes added back in.

It's funny that you mention this.

The last time that I watched the movie, I counted the number of cheers the gathered crowd gave out when the warriors were being picked. I counted each warrior (denoted either by the picture of him standing up and speaking or by the crowd's cheers), and the count always came out so that Banderas was #12. I guess that the archer spoke for himself and his son. Hmm..
Old 02-26-04, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Masamune
I actually loved this movie too, but I am happy with the DVD I got. It has a commentary, good transfer and sound.

No need for a big SE.
COMMENTARY???!!! Now I'm confused, as my edition (ISBN 0-7888-1810-4) does not have a commentary. Is this an earlier edition that I must now scour eBay and half.com in search of, or a non-R1 release?
I personally love this film, both for its realistic depiction of Viking life and for Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful score, not to mention its evocation of some of Robert E. Howard's best work (particularly "Worms of the Earth"). I haven't heard Graeme Revell's score, but while I like his work I doubt if it will beat Goldsmith's, just as Tangerine Dream's work for LEGEND was inferior to his.
Best,
Scott
Old 02-26-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I would be very interested in seeing McTiernan's original cut, too.
Old 02-26-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember a thread like this one going about a year ago. I'd love to see and SE of this movie, I thought it was great on the big screen and has been repeatedly viewed on DVD by myself and my son.....but I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 02-26-04, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scott Connors
COMMENTARY???!!! Now I'm confused, as my edition (ISBN 0-7888-1810-4) does not have a commentary. Is this an earlier edition that I must now scour eBay and half.com in search of, or a non-R1 release?
I personally love this film, both for its realistic depiction of Viking life and for Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful score, not to mention its evocation of some of Robert E. Howard's best work (particularly "Worms of the Earth"). I haven't heard Graeme Revell's score, but while I like his work I doubt if it will beat Goldsmith's, just as Tangerine Dream's work for LEGEND was inferior to his.
Best,
Scott
Mine has commentary from the director I believe it was. 100% sure.
Old 02-26-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasn't a big fan of this (I was very much looking for to this, and it kept getting pushed back! pissed me off) but I'd like to see a special edition too. But I'll be honest, Disney ain't gonna release the edition I want to see.

Here's my dream DVD. Two cuts of the film: theatrical, and the original John McTiernan cut. Commentaries on both. A documentary detailing the problems associated with this film, and carte blanche to discuss what went wrong, and why the changes took place.

Well, I doubt we'll ever see McTiernan's set, and I doubt they'll talk about what went wrong. But...one can hope. I find the history of this movie and the production more interesting that the film itself.
Old 02-26-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually remember seeing a film trailer for this movie when it was still titled "Eaters of the Dead." Then too much time passed, and I realized the relase date had been pushed back. Then it became clear that editing issues (as mentioned above by others) played a factor in this film's release. Stupid test audiences. oh well.

Oh, and I don't think my DVD has a commentary. What version does ?
Old 02-26-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see any region listed with commentary: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...ge.php?fid=168

The French version has a couple of featurettes, but that's it.
Old 02-26-04, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Masamune
Mine has commentary from the director I believe it was. 100% sure.
Details, please? What country and region, ISBN number, where'd you get it, etc. Thanks!
Old 02-27-04, 08:52 AM

Seems the most loaded disc is from FRRRRRaaahhhhnce! See: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...ge.php?fid=168

R2 France - (Metropolitan / Seven 7 Sept)
"The Heroes" featurette
"The Vikings In Cinema" featurette
Crew interviews
Theatrical trailer
Bonus trailers for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me", "Hurricane Carter" and "Intrusion"
French HoH Subtitles
2.35:1 Anamorphic PAL
English Dolby Digital 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1
Amaray Case
But I'll bet the extras are all in Frrrraaaahhhhnsay... So it may not be a great deal. Had that happen to me with a Mean Streets from Germany with interviews (in English) that are impossible to hear because the German translator in the forefront is speaking VERY loudly.

No commentary listed for any other region.

Last edited by jblackie; 02-27-04 at 08:54 AM.