Community
Search

How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 10:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood

Okay, I know this may belong elsewhere, but I was afraid that few of you would read all the way to the 14th page of Ed Wood chatter on other threads. So, here goes. I'm just trying to help out.

I went into the Barnes & Noble store at the Summit in Louisville, KY the other day and inquired about Ed Wood. Fortunately, the clerk knew nothing of the recall, and told me they had 9 copies on hold at the warehouse for reasons unknown to him. I then asked if it would be possible to purchase the DVD in store and have it shipped to me. He was more than happy to help out; he even curbed shipping. So, there it was: $26 down on something I was sure they'd never send to me. But 2 days later, there it was sitting in my mailbox. Guess the system at their warehouse wasn't savvy to the recall either.

There you have it. Just make sure not to mention anything about the recall, and you too may end up the proud owner of an Ed Wood DVD. Also, if you're unfortunate and they won't ship it to you, the guy told me that they'll promptly refund your clams if there is a problem.

Hope this helps all out.
Old 02-24-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think employee ignorance is the way a lot of us got ours.
Old 02-24-04, 11:05 AM

so what was the trick?
Old 02-24-04, 11:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That wasn't a trick at all. That was simply ordering it from a store unaware of the recall.
Old 02-24-04, 11:09 AM
Cool New Member

There wasn't really a trick, per se. It was more of...don't mention anything about it being recalled and hope the employee orders it for you. I just thought I'd post this to see if a few other people luck out with the aforementioned employee ignorance I encountered the other day. Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay. Sorry if I sounded a little cocky by saying "trick."
Old 02-24-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fef4
Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay.
I'm sorry, do you mean the sellers or the high bidders?
Old 02-24-04, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

The sellers, of course. The poor high bidders, for the most part, just want to own the film on DVD finally. The sellers are ripping off good people who post on this board: your fellow DVD lovers. The prices on ebay are outrageous. Don't support those guys!
Old 02-24-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The prices are set by the buyers.
Old 02-24-04, 02:42 PM

The sellers, of course. The poor high bidders, for the most part, just want to own the film on DVD finally. The sellers are ripping off good people who post on this board: your fellow DVD lovers. The prices on ebay are outrageous. Don't support those guys!
I know it's been said a million times, but the people selling this DVD at high prices are doing NOTHING wrong, legally or ethically. The people who CHOOSE to pay these high prices are the ones making the item expensive. Are the people paying $100 for this DVD stupid? IMHO, yes. But they do so willingly. Supply and demand, my friend.
Old 02-24-04, 02:49 PM
Cool New Member

I guess it's completely cool to sell bootlegs, too. Sorry I said anything, guys. My posting days are done here. Everyone just wants to argue semantics and poke fun at "newbies." This is boring. Bye.
Old 02-24-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess it's completely cool to sell bootlegs, too. Sorry I said anything, guys. My posting days are done here. Everyone just wants to argue semantics and poke fun at "newbies." This is boring. Bye.
Since you're not staying I won't bother to say more than this: "apples and oranges."
Old 02-24-04, 03:03 PM

Poking fun at newbies? Nobody was making fun of you. Hell, I didn't even check your reg date before replying to you. If you can't handle a little healthy debate, then you probbaly are better off leaving.
Old 02-24-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PixyJunket
The prices are set by the buyers.
and the shills. but it goes to show you how stupid the general public is when it comes to something being "collectable". They always assume this will be that retirement home in florida or something down the line.
Old 02-24-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: How I tricked B&N into selling me Ed Wood

Okay, I know this may belong elsewhere, but I was afraid that few of you would read all the way to the 14th page of Ed Wood chatter on other threads. So, here goes. I'm just trying to help out.

I went into the Barnes & Noble store at the Summit in Louisville, KY the other day and inquired about Ed Wood. Fortunately, the clerk knew nothing of the recall, and told me they had 9 copies on hold at the warehouse for reasons unknown to him. I then asked if it would be possible to purchase the DVD in store and have it shipped to me. He was more than happy to help out; he even curbed shipping. So, there it was: $26 down on something I was sure they'd never send to me. But 2 days later, there it was sitting in my mailbox. Guess the system at their warehouse wasn't savvy to the recall either.

There you have it. Just make sure not to mention anything about the recall, and you too may end up the proud owner of an Ed Wood DVD. Also, if you're unfortunate and they won't ship it to you, the guy told me that they'll promptly refund your clams if there is a problem.

Hope this helps all out.
Who'd you talk to? I was there the other day (the one at the Summit, right?) and (just for fun) inquired about Ed Wood. The person there told me that it was recalled for quality control and wouldn't let me get it.
Old 02-24-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Selling a legitmate product whose final selling price is (typically) dictated by the buyers, and not the sellers, is completely different than selling bootleg (a.k.a. illegal) products!

No one was "making fun of you" and to be honest, anyone starting a thread bragging about how they knowingly "tricked someone" into selling them a product that was not supposed to be sold, then getting up on their soapbox to judge legitimate eBay sellers, should have their flame-retardant jacket at-the-ready.

Just my two pennies...
Old 02-24-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I don't see anything in this thread to warrant that sort of reaction. Sorry to bore you. Bye.

And, while we're debating semantics, someone who has been around since October 2001 is no longer a "newbie".
Old 02-24-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just doing my part to help a few other people out in avoiding the f@#%ers on ebay.
Although I realize that this is considered "beating a dead horse", but by this rationale, anyone who sells EW (or anything for that matter) at above cost is a "f@#%er".

Then I am a f@#%er, and damn proud of it.

GB & GR
Old 02-24-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday I tricked the guy at the 7-11 into selling me a slurpee. I went and made one, brought it up to the counter, and he actually took my money for it!!
Old 02-24-04, 07:38 PM

What a baby...???
Old 02-24-04, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by caiman
I know it's been said a million times, but the people selling this DVD at high prices are doing NOTHING wrong, legally or ethically. The people who CHOOSE to pay these high prices are the ones making the item expensive. Are the people paying $100 for this DVD stupid? IMHO, yes. But they do so willingly. Supply and demand, my friend.
Yes, and victims of crime are at fault for what happened to them because they happened to be in the area.

Tards that buy something just to sell it on Ebay are the ones at fault. The only people that try to say otherwise are the aforementioned tards as they try to justify their pathetic existence. I've seen it through the sports card craze, the comic book craze, the action figure craze, and the beanie baby craze. Same pieces of trash, same constant lame excuse.
Old 02-24-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everyone just wants to argue semantics
I was personally hoping for an argument on syntactics or pragmatics
Old 02-24-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
you won't get the dvd i dont think.

ive tried this several times at b&n, even tried it with history of beavus and buthead.

but a week or solater i get a card in them mail saying the order is cancelled.
Old 02-24-04, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by JestersTear
Yes, and victims of crime are at fault for what happened to them because they happened to be in the area.

Tards that buy something just to sell it on Ebay are the ones at fault. The only people that try to say otherwise are the aforementioned tards as they try to justify their pathetic existence. I've seen it through the sports card craze, the comic book craze, the action figure craze, and the beanie baby craze. Same pieces of trash, same constant lame excuse.
You're comparing Ebay bidders to victims of crimes? Don't you understand that when someone buys something on Ebay, it is a conscious, deliberate act? They see what they want to buy, they see the price, and they CHOOSE to hit the "Bid now" button and type their highest bid. No one is putting a gun to their head and making them bid for a $100 Ed Wood DVD. Your analogy is ridiculous.
Old 02-24-04, 09:57 PM
Suspended

I got mine at Wal-mart today...

The Wal-mart in Layton utah, has about 8 copies right on the shelf, for 19.88....
Old 02-24-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For my copy, I just clubbed the manager of a local blockbuster with a tire iron until his heart stopped. Then I hopped over the counter and grabbed my copy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.