Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Party of Five release date and specs, plus winning cover art!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:
It's finally Party time! And YOU helped make it happen!

TVShowsOnDVD readers will remember that early this year we asked for your help to tell Columbia Tristar which cover art you prefer for an upcoming release of Party of Five - The Complete 1st Season. Today the box set was unveiled, and we are excited to tell you that the winning choice of our readers (by an approximate 2-to-1 margin) was what Columbia decided to use for this release!

(Click here for a larger photo of the cover art)

May 4th is the release date for this 5-DVD set, which will run you $49.95 SRP for 984 minutes of programming. But it's not just 22 first-season episodes you get. Look for the following extras to be included on the set:

• Commentary tracks from cast & crew
• Featurette: "A Family Album" (behind-the-scenes)
• Featurette: "A Look Back" (new interviews with the cast, including Neve Campbell and Scott Wolf, among others)
• Bonus Trailers

We've been excited about this release, and it's almost here. Thanks to all the wonderful readers at TVShowsOnDVD who participated in the cover art voting; it was very successful, and we're glad you're excited about this release, too.
Great price for 22 episodes of an hour-long show, with extras.

Rob
Old 02-23-04, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they release the remaining seasons in quick succession! It seems like the producers release the opening season of a good show on dvd to gauge interest.

If there is a lack of interest, it seems that later season sets just die on the vine (see Once and Again, Twin Peaks, and Mary Tyler Moore).
Old 02-23-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent!!! This should be around $34.99 thru Amazon before discounts. STL and remaining trivia credits will take this under the $30.00 mark for me.

Guess I can throw out season one on VHS once received.
Old 02-23-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news!! I will be buying this set.
Old 02-23-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has this up for preorder already...$34.97.

Just placed my order.....$27.97 shipped!!!
Old 02-23-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the press release, "Party of Five: A Family Album" will be a nine-part making-of featurette:

• How It All Began (A look at how it all started.)
• The Cast (A look at how the family of 5 came to be.)
• A Happy Place (A look at working on the set.)
• Dogs and Babies (A look at the "other" cast.)
• Fan Mail (A look at the fans who supported the show from the beginning.)
• The Show Hits its Stride (A look at how the show became a hit.)
• The Golden Globes (A look at the prestigious award won by Party of Five.)
• In Retrospect (A look back and final thoughts about the start of the show.)
• Party Of Five Abroad (A look at Party of Five in Foreign Languages.)

Rob
Old 02-24-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-24-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Been a loooooong time since I've seen any episodes of this show. Might have to pick this one up.
Old 02-24-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At last!!!!
Old 02-24-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if the original theme song that played during the credits will be same on the dvd? I ask this because I heard that Sony could not get the music clearance.
Old 02-25-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by QuikSilver
Does anyone know if the original theme song that played during the credits will be same on the dvd? I ask this because I heard that Sony could not get the music clearance.
Bodeans - "Closer to Free"

They can't lose that from the show! It'd be like changing the name of the show!

Oh hang on .... wasn't it Shawn Colvin - "Climb On (A Back That's Strong)" for Season 1?

Last edited by Squirrel God; 02-25-04 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I totally agree with Squirrel God. Party of Five would not be the same without the Bodeans "Closer to Free" song.
Old 02-26-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by QuikSilver
I totally agree with Squirrel God. Party of Five would not be the same without the Bodeans "Closer to Free" song.
I remember that they used several songs as the opening during the very beginning of Party of Five before settling on Closer to Free. I doubt they'd let that song go. I think the worries are over the large amounts of popular music used WITHIN the episodes (that's my biggest fear, at least). Season two of Dawson's Creek got ripped to shreds in that respect, literally 60% of the songs were changed, with some episodes not retaining so much as one original song (out of an average of 7-8 songs per episode).

http://www.dawsonscreekmusic.com/mus...vd2summary.htm
Old 02-26-04, 05:28 PM

not to hijack this thread, but does anyone think that in-show music will be a problem for getting Scrubs on DVD, or have the studios started planning for DVD and getting song clearance for DVD's before they even include the song in the first place?

I'm not sure on this set. I remember liking the show when it was on, but I can't remember if it was good enough to justify $35 x 6 seasons.
Old 05-08-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Colleen
I remember that they used several songs as the opening during the very beginning of Party of Five before settling on Closer to Free. I doubt they'd let that song go. I think the worries are over the large amounts of popular music used WITHIN the episodes (that's my biggest fear, at least). Season two of Dawson's Creek got ripped to shreds in that respect, literally 60% of the songs were changed, with some episodes not retaining so much as one original song (out of an average of 7-8 songs per episode).

http://www.dawsonscreekmusic.com/mus...vd2summary.htm
I've now watched 10 episodes of Party of Five Season 1 and there wasn't really any theme tune to the first 5 episodes, but then stick in Disk 2 and "Closer to Free" is the theme tune from Episode 6 onwards

I don't know if any of the music within the show has changed, but I don't think this would bother as much as it does with Dawson's Creek. A lot of Dawson's Creek relied upon the music - in fact, it was integral to the episodes. This isn't quite the case with Party of Five.
Old 05-09-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This might be a little off topic, but i have never seen party of five before this set and i was wondering if any of the special features give away major spoilers, thanks!
Old 05-10-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't had a chance to watch any of my set yet, but here's a list I found online of music used in the first season, if you'd like to compare. It's not perfect, but there isn't an amazing site like www.dawsonscreekmusic.com to detail every music inclusion for Party of Five.

http://partyoffive.tktv.net/Episodes1/music.html

This page DOES include spoilers for stuff that happens during the season, as many of the songs have a brief description of what's going on in the scenes in which they appear.

Last edited by Colleen; 05-11-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this for $29.99 at Costco.
Old 05-10-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by critterdvd
This might be a little off topic, but i have never seen party of five before this set and i was wondering if any of the special features give away major spoilers, thanks!
I haven't reached the last disk yet, but the special features on the other disks are just commentaries.

There are no spoilers in the menus either as far as I can tell.

Originally posted by Colleen
here's a list I found online of music used in the first season, if you'd like to compare.
Give us the link then
Old 05-11-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Give us the link then

Hmm, not sure how I managed to do that... I've edited my post to include the link. I'm still hoping to find a more organized list, but this is all I've found so far. That site includes episode by episode song lists for every season but this first one. At the very least, it'll be handy later.

I watched the first two episodes last night. I think they have removed the opening music from the episodes that used music other than "Closer to Free". I specifically remember "Come To My Window" as the opening music in one episode, and the song list shows five songs as openers (albeit including "Closer to Free"), which would match up with your observation that the opening theme/credits didn't show up until episode six.