Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

THE EYE: Better Version to get?

Old 02-22-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

I was wondering what version would be the best to get, the one that was released by Lions Gate, or the one released by Panorama Entertainment with the 3-d cover. thanks!
Old 02-22-04, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of the 3-d cover version, have a link or a pic?
Old 02-22-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thedvdetective.com/Mercha...Category_Code=
Old 02-22-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.wuken.com/screencaps/theeye/theeye.html

Contains screen shots from the Japanese R2 DVD, the American (Lions Gate) R1 DVD, and the Hong Kong Panorama R3 DVD.

The Japanese DVD has the best image quality (no clue if it has English subs), followed by the Lions Gate release, and then the Panorama DVD.

The Lions Gate release can be had for $20, so I would suggest get that one (anamorphic transfer, DD 5.1 and 2.0, and extras with subs included).
Old 02-22-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
http://www.wuken.com/screencaps/theeye/theeye.html

Contains screen shots from the Japanese R2 DVD, the American (Lions Gate) R1 DVD, and the Hong Kong Panorama R3 DVD.

The Japanese DVD has the best image quality (no clue if it has English subs), followed by the Lions Gate release, and then the Panorama DVD.

The Lions Gate release can be had for $20, so I would suggest get that one (anamorphic transfer, DD 5.1 and 2.0, and extras with subs included).
thanks for the help!
Old 02-22-04, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's up to you.
Old 02-22-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres supposingly some funny fake screw up with the film during the opening credits thats not on the lions gate version.
Old 02-22-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

theres supposingly some funny fake screw up with the film during the opening credits thats not on the lions gate version.
Yeah, during the film's theatrical release the opening credits begin and then the film pulls a Gremlins 2. The film print becomes all scratchy and grainy then the reel breaks, followed by a loud noise (which scared the shit out of me), a brief glimpse of a lady (almost subliminal image like), and some brief text in Chinese (contact your theater management? I don't know, I don't understand the language ). Then the actual film starts up.

On the HK DVD (I think, that or the Korean DVD), the film starts and then it pulls a Night of the Living Dead: Original Elite DVD Edition and the image becomes all pixelated and begins to skip and then goes into the actual film.

I wish both versions of that were on the Lions Gate DVD, but they're not. Oh well. I still like the DVD through.
Old 02-22-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,267 Likes on 924 Posts
I have the "3-D cover" version and that pic is the back of the slipcover. I wonder why they don't show the front?

Oh, and on this DVD, the film doesn't do the meltdown thingy at the beginning. I like this cover more than the R1 Lions Gate, plus the DTS track is pretty good. Not a bad price either... less than I paid.
Old 02-23-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yeah, during the film's theatrical release the opening credits begin and then the film pulls a Gremlins 2. The film print becomes all scratchy and grainy then the reel breaks, followed by a loud noise (which scared the shit out of me), a brief glimpse of a lady (almost subliminal image like), and some brief text in Chinese (contact your theater management? I don't know, I don't understand the language ). Then the actual film starts up.

WHAT? I saw this at the show two weeks ago, nothing like that happened during the opening credits.
Old 02-23-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WHAT? I saw this at the show two weeks ago, nothing like that happened during the opening credits.
When I saw the film back in July at the Village Square in Las Vegas, Nevada (a few months into it's US theatrical release) that specific scene was in the movie.
Old 02-24-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so does anyone know which version has the pixelation intro? the HK one or the Korean one?