Master and Commander 1 Disc or 2 Discs

Community
Search

Master and Commander 1 Disc or 2 Discs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
Yeah, but if you're not in Canada isn't that more like $33 CDN after shipping?
I am canadian and ordered it with another title to get free shipping. I have no idea what shipping to the US costs.

I am glad I ordered it now as I believe that Amazon will eventually realise that the MSRP on this should be higher than that on the one disc version.
Old 03-03-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I preordered amazon with STL for 23.39 so that sounds like the deal. I cant wait as I havent yet viewed this one.
Old 03-03-04, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by mdc3000
I will certainly be in store on release day buying the 2 discs set...and I won't even gringe at the price.

MATT

How does one gringe? Just teasing. I haven't seen the movie, but I've enjoyed Crowe's work as well as Weir's. I'm torn between simply renting the film or just jumping in and buying the 2-disc SE.
Old 03-29-04, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like Best Buy will have an exclusive bonus disc. This bonus disc includes "Behind the Scenes: A Filmmaker's Journey — A Look at Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World." Looks like I will be getting this release from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
Old 03-29-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna settle for the 1-disc widescreen. It will still have 5.1 sound and anamorphic widescreen transfer, which are the 2 most important things when it comes to a dvd (aside from the movie of course). I'll rent the 2-disc to watch the features because I, like millions of others, only watch special features ONE TIME.
Old 03-31-04, 07:45 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i cant decide between the one or the 2 disks just like mystic river one or 3 disks, i am so fed up of so many different versions ( meaning with extra's) of many movies, and damm, i always need to get the better version, i am so stupid
Old 03-31-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I preordered the 2 disc version of Master and Commander from the Fox Store with the 50% off coupon that was posted a few weeks ago. Puts the price at about $15 before shipping a sales tax.
Old 04-17-04, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by gjamesm
I am canadian and ordered it with another title to get free shipping. I have no idea what shipping to the US costs.

I am glad I ordered it now as I believe that Amazon will eventually realise that the MSRP on this should be higher than that on the one disc version.
But then you have to pay at least 15% sales tax, unless you live in Alberta...
Old 04-18-04, 06:50 AM

2 disc widescreen set for me!!! ...tis kinda a blind buy tho as i didnt get the chance to see it @ the cinema
Old 04-19-04, 10:46 AM
Suspended

I never saw this in the theaters, but I've been awaiting the DVD for a while. Let me just say, I don't care for the price hike for the SEs unless it's some kind of ultimate SE. In this case, it appears to be. My only concern though is eventually they'll start making the usual 2 disc sets be considered ultimate SEs and charge extra for them when they're really not worth it. When I buy a movie, I always want the biggest and best version. I don't always watch the extras but sometimes I do. So that means I'll be getting the SE, and of course, I wanna get my money's worth. I guess it's good in a way though, they're putting the SE out now instead of releasing it later and screwing the folks that bought the cheapy version first.
Old 04-19-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DrMcKittrick
If you like this movie I don't see how anyone WOULDN'T want to get the 2 disk SE. That is the only way to go.

doc
well i loved the movie but didnt get the 2 disc version..why? because I dont put much stock in extras..wasnt worth the price diffference to me
Old 04-19-04, 04:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
From the Digital Bits:
I was fortunate enough to see Peter Weir's Master and Commander* at the AMPAS theater last year, loved the film as I do Mr. Weir's other work, and as I sat taking in the extraordinary quality of the audio began to wonder how Fox might handle the film when it came time to present it on DVD.

As you've probably been reading elsewhere, Fox has done total justice to the film. Not only from a standpoint of the presentation of the film itself, but from a myriad of extra featurettes, background to the production, and a veritable film production course taking in audio and multiple camera photography.

While I intend to spend more time with this set of discs, I wanted to bring them to the attention of those who have an interest in production, especially students, as the two disc set, which is priced seven dollars higher than the film by itself, will be the one to pre-order and purchase.

As an example of the extra material on disc two is an interactive audio demonstration involving the recording of cannon fire. Your remote will enable you to audition any one, or combinations of the recordings from different mics in different locations - beside, behind, in front of, and at the target. One can go with a single mic location or all six from any perspective, giving the listener a superb idea of what went into the production planning and recording of the effects track for this superb film.

As mentioned, image and audio on this release are both exemplary and state of the art. My intent in mentioning these facts early is to gently push potential purchasers directly in the line of fire of the two-disc set.

Master and Commander* will be one of the major "demo" discs of 2004.

Robert Harris
Sounds pretty sweet to me.
Old 04-19-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Best Buys add they had the 2 disc for 29.99 and the other one for 15.99 I think,Fox lost money all ready on this because alot of people are going to pass this up since the single disc is fools screen only and alot of people dont wanna spend 30 bucks on the double disc set,Fox will learn the hard way I guess.
Old 04-19-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The single-disc version is available in both widescreen and pan & scan formats.
Old 04-19-04, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
While the single-disc version will probably outsell the 2-disc ten to one, after reading Mr. Harris's statements I can't wait to get my 2-disc in the mail.

I'm not happy with Fox's experimental price point on this title, but I'm more worried that they'll draw the wrong conclusions: not "we priced both versions too high" but rather "people don't want special editions with lots of extras."

It's annoying that the 2-disc CE is priced the same as the Lord of the Rings 4-disc sets, and that the single bare-bones disc is priced like most other 2-disc SEs. I'd like to send Fox a message, but maybe a letter would be best. I'm looking forward to seeing the extras on this title, and David Prior has consistently produced excellent DVDs. That cannon demo sounds really really cool.
Old 04-20-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm all over the 2 disc release myself... 45minutes to go
Old 04-20-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jough
I'm not happy with Fox's experimental price point on this title, but I'm more worried that they'll draw the wrong conclusions: not "we priced both versions too high" but rather "people don't want special editions with lots of extras."
Far more likely they'll conclude "These idiots will pay anything. Raise the price again!" I suspect you'll see a lot more of this: a supersized and overpriced edition and a barebones and overpriced edition released simultanously. Experimental price point? No, this appears to be the new standard. Note that Mystic River from Warner is using the same price structure. If they have a huge failure they may back off but I think these prices are here to stay, at least for high demand new releases. No thanks. I won't be buying anytime soon. I may buy the barebones after a price drop and simply rent the extras disc as someone else suggested.
Old 04-20-04, 10:15 AM
Suspended

The Mystic River SE also includes the soundtrack - it's a 3-disc set at the same price as M&C 2-disc.

Now, why they're forcing those who only want the DVD extras to also buy the soundtrack is beyond me. I usually try to get the "best" release of a title if I'm going to buy it at all, but I'm sorry, I don't want the damn CD soundtrack and I sure as hell am not going to pay $30 for it.

I was planning on buying Mystic River when I saw it theatrically, but now that the DVD is going to be bare bones, I don't really feel the need to buy it anymore.

Heck, now I'm not even sure if I'm going to even RENT it.

Way to go, Warner. You turned a sale into a no-sale due to your greed.
Old 04-20-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I shelled out for the SE on this (Blind) purchase. I hope it pays off but I havent heard anything but good reviews for it.
Old 04-20-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will rent this first.
Old 04-20-04, 10:57 AM

What is the difference in the Specs between the single disc and the Special Edition? Is it just the 28 page book I would be paying extra for?
Old 04-20-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After work today I'll be picking up the SE 2 disc
Old 04-20-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Skyfire
What is the difference in the Specs between the single disc and the Special Edition? Is it just the 28 page book I would be paying extra for?
Read the first page, you will see teh difference, all the extras listed are exclusive to the SE
Old 04-20-04, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Skyfire
Well, there's an extra disc of supplements, too.

70'minute "The Hundred Days" documentary, "In The Wake Of O'Brian," "Cinematic Phasmids," "Sound Design Featurette" and "Interactive Sound Recording Demo" featurettes totaling over an hour, the HBO First Look special, six deleted scenes, four multi-angle studies, a split-screen vignette, four art galleries, theatrical trailers and a collectible booklet and packaging.
Old 04-20-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Was hoping the outer box and inner packaging would be a little thicker. They have a nice texture on it, but its still kinda flimsy.

Got a free mini ship-in-a-bottle at Fred Meyer. Kinda neat, should look good on the DVD shelf (when I get one)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.