Any Dawn of the Dead (1979) dvd details

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed Anchor Bay is releasing Dawn of the Dead in early March. Anyone have any details ?? It looks like they are trying to cash on the theatrical release.

I guess the rumors about the 4 disc special edition are not true ??

Anyone have any details ??
Old 02-04-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 4-disc is being held until the 'Dawn of the Dead' (remake) is released on DVD. So, there will be TWO VERSIONS released in one year.
Old 02-04-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts
I can't wait for this. my VHS copy of Dawn of The Dead just isn't cutting it anymore.
Old 02-04-04, 10:51 AM

Right on...thanks for the info. I'm awfully tempted to pick up the new version anyways.....
Old 02-04-04, 11:05 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

From my Chiller Theatre Expo coverage (11/1/03)...
http://dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/chiller03/index.html

DVD producer Perry Martin (right) and film info manager Michael Felsher of Anchor Bay were on hand with the inside skinny on what's dead ahead from the fan-fave distributor. Top of mind being a certain zombie epic, so what follows are their word-for-word comments on ...

DAWN OF THE DEAD: Martin: That's going to be our big release for 2004. It's going to be an amazing [set] ... we're still up in the air as to HOW MANY discs it's going to be.

Felsher: To say it's going to be the biggest thing we've done is understating the matter. ... What our current plans are, and please, I wish I could write this above our heads: SUBJECT TO CHANGE -- because we've had so many false starts and stops on this project: We're going to have a single-disc version of George Romero's theatrical cut of the film. I have seen portions of the new high-definition transfer that was done and it looks stunning.

Martin: It's amazing. You've never seen the movie like this before and that's before cleanup!

Felsher: Even before cleanup it already looks miles better than any other version of the film. So, there's going to be a single disc of that, hopefully with commentary by George Romero and Tom Savini [FX guru].

Martin: We're scheduled to do that in two or three weeks.

Felsher: We'll have that out in time for the remake of the film in March. ... Then coming in late summer will be a multi-disc edition of Dawn. At this point, it will be at least three discs and could go all the way up to five. It's going to contain at least two versions of the film: theatrical cut, plus the extended version. ... Just the other day, we recorded a new commentary with producer Richard Rubenstein. It's the first time he's ever done anything like this before and it's very, very cool.

Martin: He talked about a lot of things I don't think he's gone on the record about before. That's just one. We're also going to do an all-new commentary, as Michael said, with George Romero, Tom Savini and hopefully Mike Gornick [cinematographer]. There's possibility of even a third.

Felsher: We're trying to get a commentary with all four cast members. We know at least three of them are all about it, because I've talked to them at various conventions over the past couple of years.

Martin: It's really just a logistical issue. Some of them are in Los Angeles. Some of them are out here [in New York]. We'll fly two of them somewhere ... Also, I'm trying to put together a "making of" featurette that will run a minimum of one hour, maybe 90 minutes ... very comprehensive coverage of the whole production history. We'll interview everybody.

Felsher: He's already got interviews with Dario Argento, Claudio Argento, Goblin, everyone ...

Martin: We want to do the project justice, so it's going to be quite extensive. It should be a lot of fun.

Felsher: Another wildcard, as we're still talking to the licenser, is including Document of the Dead, which is a documentary Roy Frumkes did during the shooting of the film. We've already acquired a director's retrospective that will be on there. Then we're going to get trailers from all over the world.

Martin: Hundreds of stills. ... Your thumb's going to get worn out before you get to the end of the still gallery.

Felsher: We had six still galleries on Day of the Dead. We're probably going to have almost a dozen on this one. We'll also have the screenplay on there.

Martin: Again, the goal is to produce the ultimate DVD version of this film, so stay tuned!

Old 02-04-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one instance where I CANNOT wait for the deluxe version. I'll be buying the March release and then dumping it (more than likely) when the deluxe set comes out.
Old 02-04-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Exister
This is one instance where I CANNOT wait for the deluxe version. I'll be buying the March release and then dumping it (more than likely) when the deluxe set comes out.
Word... Already pre-ordered (and sold the old version mid-last year on eBay $). No such thing as too much Dawn...
Old 02-04-04, 07:35 PM
Banned

Yup...I'll be getting the one in March and then if the big deluxe set does come out...I'll get it...
Old 02-04-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so, the one coming up next month is single-disc only???

crap, it thought it was 2-disc (1 for movie & the other for decent amount of extra)

dilema...
Old 02-04-04, 08:45 PM
Banned

no its still a 2-disc next month
Old 02-05-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Word... Already pre-ordered (and sold the old version mid-last year on eBay $). No such thing as too much Dawn...
You've been Dawn-less since mid-last year and say that there's no such thing as too much Dawn?! Sounds more like "No such thing as too much Dawn, unless money is involved."

I've had my AB US Theatrical disc for nearly 3 years (when Sam's Club sold the Dawn/Day two-pack for $20). I'll continue to hold onto it until these new disc sets are released. Then when the reviews roll in, I'll make the determination as to whether or not I'll get rid of the current OOP disc at that time.

I know that I'm in the minority, but it is more important to me to have this film on DVD than to have a few extra $$$ (from the sale inflated prices on eBay)

This is Anchor Bay we're talking about here.... when it comes to Romero's films, they have a pretty poor track record. (But with Lustig out of the picture, things to seem to have improved...as is evident by the recent Day:SE release) Considering the number of different cuts of Dawn floating around, there is still no guarantee as to which cuts will actually be released... or if they will be "correct".

It is also unknown as to whether or not there will be any overlap between the extras in the 2-disc and multi-disc releases. Yet another point to consider.

My advice: Caution. Don't pre-order... wait until it is actually released. Some of us have waited since the introduction of DVD for an SE of this film... waiting a few days longer (for it to actually appear in stores) doesn't seem unreasonable.
Old 02-05-04, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
word of the screenplay going to get included sounds great, can't wait to see if they will include the original alternate ending.
Old 02-05-04, 09:29 AM

This is what, the 3rd or 4th time they've released Dawn on DVD? I already have 2 versions of it now dammit.. Oh well. A couple more won't hurt.

-Jason
Old 02-05-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDEmpire lists these extras:

Features:
Audio Commentary With Director George A. Romero and Special Effects Creator Tom Savini
Theatrical Trailers
TV & Radio Spots
Poster Galleries
Exclusive Preview Of The Upcoming Dawn Of The Dead Comic Book From IDW Publishing
4 Page Collector's Booklet With All-New Liner Notes

Audio: ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Surround
ENGLISH: DTS 5.1

I don't see anything about 2 discs. Hmmm.... I guess waiting for the 4 disc isn't so bad...
Old 02-05-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sracer
You've been Dawn-less since mid-last year and say that there's no such thing as too much Dawn?! Sounds more like "No such thing as too much Dawn, unless money is involved."
sracer... I'm sure you don't remember, but we had this conversation last year when Dawn was scheduled for a new AB release... See the current "what did you do with your VHS" thread... You'll see that I still own the Dawn DC on (gasp!) VHS... But, to address your point, again... Yup, dumped the old crappy non-anamorphic Dawn theatrical cut on eBay and made ~ $50 on the deal while the getting was good... Why? Because WE ALL KNEW that a brand spanking new DVD was in the works. 8 months without a (crappy non-anamorphic) DVD from AB didn't exactly kill me... But thanks for asking...

Old 02-06-04, 12:04 AM

I just watched the theatrical cut of Dawn the other day. It's such an excellent film. A Dawn of the dead comic book sounds badass. You guys should check out www.savini.com
Tom has a new DVD coming out entitled "Chill Factor" it's a bunch of short horror/sc-fi tales ala the Twilight Zone and Tales from the Darkside. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

-MB
Old 02-06-04, 04:58 AM
Banned

Well...I'm still getting the regular edition because the Deluxe set might not come to be...
Old 02-06-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Well...I'm still getting the regular edition because the Deluxe set might not come to be...
And why would that be?
Old 02-06-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
sracer... I'm sure you don't remember, but we had this conversation last year when Dawn was scheduled for a new AB release... See the current "what did you do with your VHS" thread... You'll see that I still own the Dawn DC on (gasp!) VHS... But, to address your point, again... Yup, dumped the old crappy non-anamorphic Dawn theatrical cut on eBay and made ~ $50 on the deal while the getting was good... Why? Because WE ALL KNEW that a brand spanking new DVD was in the works. 8 months without a (crappy non-anamorphic) DVD from AB didn't exactly kill me... But thanks for asking...

"crappy" is in the eye of the beholder... or "not beholding" as the case may be. True, the DC is not anamorphic, but it still looks far better than any videotape version I've seen. (Not to mention that the VHS versions aren't anamorphic either. ) And although AB "said" that a new disc was in the works, they've been dancing around the issue for nearly 3 years.... there's just no guarantee until the discs are actually on the shelves.

I paid $10 for the DC disc. Over the years I've gotten more than my "$50" worth of viewing and enjoyment from it. Even if I were to give it away after the new discs are released, it would have been worth it to me. But I understand that I'm in the extreme minority...the film is that important to me.

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Hmmm, good point. The old adage, "a bird in the hand..." comes to mind. I had originally taken a "wait and see" attitude, but I think I'll be getting the regular edition in anticipation of the deluxe.
Old 02-06-04, 08:16 AM
Cool New Member

This is gonna friggin rule, man.
Im from Pittsburgh, so it holds a special place in my heart. I have a few friends whose fathers were zombie extras in it. One still has his zombie head on his mantle.
Old 02-07-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here is the review for the NEW dAwn DVD:
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dawn_2004.html

it ROCKS!!!

but it didn't say anything about being a 2-disc edition....
Old 02-08-04, 06:06 AM
Banned

yeah looks to be just a regular single disc...its okay by me...I just want the movie to look and sound great and it does!
Old 02-08-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
here is the review for the NEW dAwn DVD:
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dawn_2004.html

it ROCKS!!!

but it didn't say anything about being a 2-disc edition....
That review says that the fall release will be 3 discs... Just thought I'd point that out.
Old 02-08-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
Looks like I'll be double-dipping for this baby.

Along with this Theatrical Cut, I'd like the proposed 3-disc release to be the Director's Cut, the Argento Cut and another disc of extras.

Man.... I canNOT wait for this.
Old 02-08-04, 09:19 AM

simply woth buying many times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.