Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Did you get lucky and find a copy (or copies)?
Yes
55.33%
No (not yet)
44.67%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, that seller has copies of Thursday for sale with a Buy It Now of $29.99. (I've seen this sell for upwards of $100.)

Look at his feedback. The top 2 negatives claim that they bought Thursday and got boots.
Old 02-12-04, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's one of the main reasons I hate buying stuff on Ebay, it is FULL of crooks! Even the ratings for a lot of the sellers are fake.

I have had very good luck buying OOP items from Amazon's "Marketplace" because they are very strict about monitoring the sellers to make sure they are legit.

When I was bidding on Ed Wood, I looked for people who had a pic of the actual DVD on a table or chair or whatever, so I could see that they really had a copy of the DVD (although the photos could be fake too). But I had to go with my gut instincts. Now I have to wait now and see if I really get it.

BTW, if you are getting a BIN price of $39.95 that is "too good to be true." I have been watching auctions all day most are selling for about $55 to $56. You never see the final price because all the bidding happens in the last minute of the auction. For example, the one I bought had a high bid of $43 with less than a minute left in the auction. I put in a max bid of $57.07 and I won with a top bid of $56.01 .. this all happened in less than 40 seconds. Just an FYI ..

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 02-12-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Sex Fiend
I think the seller everyone is referring to is "Wolftoys". I grabbed one of the first ones I saw for a BIN at $39.95 yesterday without doing too much investigation. His feedback doesn't appear to be that bad, relatively speaking, and he is listed as a PowerSeller.

However, I'm now having my doubts that the guy is legit. Besides the suspicious fact that he suddenly put up several dozen copies of Ed Wood for sale, many of his other recently closed auctions appear to be possible bootlegs (complete Green Hornet DVD set, for example). I also checked out some of his recent feedbacks as a buyer - he recently purchased several sets of DVD/CD labels, as well as a VCD collection of Green Hornet episodes !

So it doesn't bode well, but I guess I'll find out when I get the disk. I'm reasonably sure he'll ship out something - whether it's a bootleg or the real item (although many of his negative/neutral feedbacks seem to be for slow shipment). If he is a bootlegger, it's pretty irritating that Ebay would allow him continue to operate, and even endorse him to some extent with a "PowerSeller" title. Hopefully, if the disks he is selling aren't legit, enough bidders will complain to get him shut down.

If any other DVD Talkers also jumped on his auction, let me know. Maybe we can compare notes when/if we get one of the disks and figure out if it's real.

He's probably a bootlegger. Starting on Feb 8th, Ended and current auctions as of 7:30PM total 143. And putting up about 20 per day. About $5000 so far. Has anyone here found 100+ copies?? No way... As bboisvert said, most mere mortals are having a hard time getting 1.

With 7 to 10 day shipping, he could sell another 300 before the first ones are shipped out. ..and the negatives start pouring in. A smart move actually, bidders will keep buying.

Prices may skyrocket as those ripped off look for original DVDs. But there will be fewer auctions, could be under 100 next week.
Old 02-12-04, 07:17 PM

This whole mess really sucks.

First, I waited almost two weeks to find out that DeepDiscountDVD.com never really shipped me a copy of "Ed Wood" even though they sent me an email on 1/30 saying that they did.

And now I have to wait to see if the person that sold me "Ed Wood" today on Ebay really has it and actually ships it to me. I have emailed the seller twice today, but so far no response. Of course, they could just be away from their computer, but I am very paranoid at this point.

Arrghh!!!

Last edited by SeattleSteve; 02-12-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered from wolftoys earlier this week with BIN and immediate payment, sent him an email asking when it would ship. Day later I get an email, two words "this week."

So in the Bargain forum RobCa points out the font difference of the "Special Edition" in his picture versus the official release and the other auctions. So I shoot him an email asking if they are legit, and if not to refund.

Day one.... Day Two....send same email.... Day Three.... send email again.....

Then I finally get an email saying "Tell you what they are real. But if you feel that they are not we are just going to refund you now". And the next email was my paypal refund.

And this was when he was selling them for $35.

So I don't know if he is selling bootlegs or not since I got a refund. So if anyone does order from him, Let us all know if what he is selling is the real deal.
Old 02-12-04, 10:44 PM

cheese .. that sounds like a bootlegger to me.

He figured you would ask for a refund as soon as you saw the product, so he just save himself the trouble and refunded you now.

Thanks for the warning.

Stay away from that guy .. he sounds like an obvious scammer to me.
Old 02-12-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe he refunded it so he could sell it at his new higher price. Tell you what though, I would be wary of one bad signs and this guys has several. Of course it is possible it is legit, but it doesn't look like it. The font thing is weird though. It is different, although the picture he put up isn't even a real photo of a dvd. It's just cover art. Why not just copy the real cover art from somewhere else instead? At least that way you get it right and at no extra hastle.
Old 02-13-04, 07:51 AM

Has a new release date been given? Or any other news?

There was some dumping on Ebay last night. One seller sold a bunch of real ones for 38.99. And many auctions were ending in the low 40's.
Old 02-13-04, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

I think the seller everyone is referring to is "Wolftoys". I grabbed one of the first ones I saw for a BIN at $39.95 yesterday without doing too much investigation. His feedback doesn't appear to be that bad, relatively speaking, and he is listed as a PowerSeller.

However, I'm now having my doubts that the guy is legit. Besides the suspicious fact that he suddenly put up several dozen copies of Ed Wood for sale, many of his other recently closed auctions appear to be possible bootlegs (complete Green Hornet DVD set, for example). I also checked out some of his recent feedbacks as a buyer - he recently purchased several sets of DVD/CD labels, as well as a VCD collection of Green Hornet episodes !

So it doesn't bode well, but I guess I'll find out when I get the disk. I'm reasonably sure he'll ship out something - whether it's a bootleg or the real item (although many of his negative/neutral feedbacks seem to be for slow shipment). If he is a bootlegger, it's pretty irritating that Ebay would allow him continue to operate, and even endorse him to some extent with a "PowerSeller" title. Hopefully, if the disks he is selling aren't legit, enough bidders will complain to get him shut down.

If any other DVD Talkers also jumped on his auction, let me know. Maybe we can compare notes when/if we get one of the disks and figure out if it's real.
I bought 2 from wolftoys around Tuesday. I had learned of the possibility that they may be bootlegs (which is why I was looking for a nice scan of a real R1 release, but I got jumped on). When I get these dvds (1 for me 1 for a bud) I'll comment. I figured I wouldn't wait the time to try and research the buyer cause I didn't want to lose the buy it now since it was such a good price and still over retail.

IF I find out they are bootlegs then I'm going put up a fuss with the seller, ebay, and paypal although I'm not really 100% sure what any of them will do.

*EDIT*

Since I read that the above poster emailed the guy and it sounds like his dvds didn't ship yet. I emailed wolftoys just now requesting my 2 payments be refunded. Hopefully he/she will answer back and refund my payment. None the less I'm off in search on ebay for a legit (more expensive) copy of Ed Wood. If I don't get my money back from wolftoys, then I guess I'm going to be out about $130 instead of $50-60 And to think that for a long time I have been wanting Hard Boiled Criterion collection, but could never justify spending about $100 on a dvd.

Last edited by alienmonkey; 02-13-04 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 10:06 AM
Cool New Member

Ebayer "Keit2208" has had an ed wood dvd on ebay atleast everyday for the past 2 weeks.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ort=3&rows=200

I hate having to try to find a legit seller, but I am assume that anyone with more than 2 copies at most listed are selling bootlegs (although they may very well have 2+ copies of the dvd, but not highly unlikely to me now )

Last edited by alienmonkey; 02-14-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 10:48 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by speedy1961
I just put my last two up on ebay today if you're interested.
Speedy what's your ebay nick? Speedy1961 don't seem to be t
Old 02-13-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will say that if these guys are doing heavy duty bootlegging of the Ed Wood DVD, they've got to be pretty ballsy to assume there won't be some trouble. With the way the MPAA (and RIAA) are cracking down on this sort of thing lately, it shouldn't be too hard to get the law on anyone who is pulling that kind of crap. Factor in that this is Disney's property, who are notoriously hard-nosed about dealing with pirates, and that none of these sellers appear to be outside of the US, where they would be much harder to find and prosecute.

I think you might be able to get away with this if you were only selling one or a couple of bootleg copies - no one would probably be able to make a big enough stink about that to get anyone's attention. But if you're producing and selling hundreds of copies per week, fleecing hundreds of buyers, and generating thousands of dollars in illicit income, you can bet Disney, the MPAA, and the FBI are going to take a serious interest.

Not to mention Ebay's culpability in all of this. After all, they get a portion of the profits from the bootlegs, which essentially makes them bootleggers, too. I wonder how they would feel about hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines if something like this were prosecuted ?
Old 02-13-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by alienmonkey
Beware this dude on ebay as well. HE looks kinda shady to me. His pictures are of the DVD on kitchen floor tiles, ect.

Not sure if link is going to work, but the ebayer is "sirbrady" he has like a 98% feedback rating, but he's had like 40 of these things listed since the 3rd/4th.

He could be legit, but I'm not sure.

Ebayer "Keit2208" has had an ed wood dvd on ebay atleast everyday for the past 2 weeks.

I hate having to try to find a legit seller, but I am assume that anyone with more than 2 copies at most listed are selling bootlegs (although they may very well have 2+ copies of the dvd, but not highly unlikely to me now )
Both of those look completely legit. If I were looking for the disc, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either one of the those sellers. When the buyer shows an actual picture of the sealed dvd and states that it is not a bootleg in the description, it's a pretty good indication that it's not a bootleg. Just because some sellers have numerous copies, doesn't mean they're bootlegs.
Old 02-13-04, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by D-Ball
Both of those look completely legit. If I were looking for the disc, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either one of the those sellers. When the buyer shows an actual picture of the sealed dvd and states that it is not a bootleg in the description, it's a pretty good indication that it's not a bootleg. Just because some sellers have numerous copies, doesn't mean they're bootlegs.
I know they could be legit, but I could also steal their picture and sell off bootlegs. Or have an original from which I take pictures around the house and sell off bootlegs. Anything is possible and I'm not calling these people bootleggers. I'm just trying to be careful for myself and making others aware incase they feel the same.
Old 02-13-04, 01:13 PM

Beware this dude on ebay as well. HE looks kinda shady to me. His pictures are of the DVD on kitchen floor tiles, ect.

Not sure if link is going to work, but the ebayer is "sirbrady" he has like a 98% feedback rating, but he's had like 40 of these things listed since the 3rd/4th.

He could be legit, but I'm not sure.

These sellers appear legit. Look at the positive feedbacks from satisfied buyers. If they were selling bootlegs, negatives would have appeared by now.

So I guess other sellers like astro-video, lclgames, kurtori, etc. are bootleggers. They look legit to me as well.
Old 02-13-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know they could be legit, but I could also steal their picture and sell off bootlegs. Or have an original from which I take pictures around the house and sell off bootlegs. Anything is possible and I'm not calling these people bootleggers. I'm just trying to be careful for myself and making others aware incase they feel the same.
I know you're just trying to be careful, but there's a possibility that every copy of Ed Wood on ebay is a bootleg. Both sellers state that the disc is not a bootleg in the descriptions, and they both have good feedback. If I was one of those sellers, I wouldn't appreciate being listed as a possible bootlegger on an internet forum.
Old 02-13-04, 01:26 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not trying to get into a war or anything or ruin the reputation of these ebay sellers if they are legit. Look at wolftoys feedback and it looks the same way but people feel he is a bootlegger.

I'm just not going to get an ed wood from a seller whom I can see has/sold more than 2 copies of the movie. I'm trying to avoid a bootleg this time around as best I can.
Old 02-13-04, 03:40 PM

This is Speedy's Ebay nick:

chrissyatwebtv

Don't know if her/his auctions are still going.

Another guy who has a few online who I believe to be legit (cause I bought one from him last night) is this guy:

lartexas

Again, I don't know if he still has any auctions going.

Mine shipped today from my Ebay seller and I'm 99.9% certain that it's a real SE original factory sealed copy.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-13-04, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

Wolftoys sent me a refund today for my two auctions I bought.

This is the email I had sent him.

------------------------------------------------------------
I recently bought 2 of your auctions titled "ED WOOD DVD - Johnny Depp /
Recalled"

Auction #'s 111111111 & 2222222222

It has come to my attention that these may not be originals and that they may be
illegal bootlegs. After seeing that you had 40+ of these rare dvds up for
auction after I purchased mine and then later checking on them noticing that the
font on the real R1 dvds is different from the picture you show, I am pretty
confident that these are illegal bootlegs.

I would like my 2 paypal payments refunded please before they ship. If my money
is refunded before they ship I will not leave feedback, will not contact ebay &
paypal regarding the matter. If they have shipped and I find out they are truly
bootlegs. I will expect a full refund for both dvds, will leave negative
feedback regarding the bootlegs, will contact Ebay about the situation, and will
notify Paypal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what he had to say to me

Refunds sent. Sorry that you think they are not real. But they are.

He didn't hesitate to refund my money and did it about 6 hours after I send my email.

Time to go hunt for a real copy although I'll be kicking myself if these copies were real (but I'm really doubting it now).
Old 02-13-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at wolftoys feedback and it looks the same way but people feel he is a bootlegger.
wolftoys has 55 negatives (3 on his first page of 25... and all 3 are for selling bootlegs). I don't think that looks "the same way" as those other sellers.

The first one has been selling for 5 years and has ONE negative.
The second one has been selling for 5 years and only has TWO negatives.

At some point you either have to make a logical decision to trust a seller (longtime member, practically no negatives, has a picture and says it isn't a bootleg) or just not buy from eBay at all.

A few negative comments are going to happen (can't please everyone), but I don't think I would make a purchase of a 'rare" DVD from a seller with 55 negatives. PowerSeller or not.

Just my 2 pennies...
Old 02-13-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hated to pay $60 but I got one off of ebay from ricktx last week (which included Priority Mail/Delivery Confirmation/Insurance). It's 100% genuine. He sold 3 or 4 and has 341 positives, no negatives in 4+ years. I'd definitely stay away from people with more than just a small amount of negatives. Most things are worked out on ebay & if you get a pile of negatives, especially for bootlegging you probably deserve them.
Old 02-13-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought one of them from Wolftoys, so I guess I'll be one of the test cases, at least as far as people on this forum. At this point, I'm more interested to see if this guy has the cajones to really sell hundreds of phony copies of the DVD, and furthermore how he will deal with the fallout of hundreds of angry customers, bad feedback, legal repercussions, etc. if these are phony copies. Depending how good the knockoffs are (if they are indeed knockoffs), although not everyone will catch on, you have to figure that many of those who won his auctions are going to be savvy enough to tell if it's a fake.

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that they might be the real deal, since I can't believe anyone would be so stupid/brazen as to bootleg something like the Ed Wood DVD on a large scale, with all of the trouble that will follow when the proverbial stuff hits the fan.
Old 02-13-04, 11:54 PM

^If they are fakes, the angry customers will invade Casa de Wolftoys like Sosa's henchmen did at the Montana's mansion in Scarface.
Old 02-14-04, 01:13 AM
Cool New Member

I bought one of them from Wolftoys, so I guess I'll be one of the test cases, at least as far as people on this forum. At this point, I'm more interested to see if this guy has the cajones to really sell hundreds of phony copies of the DVD, and furthermore how he will deal with the fallout of hundreds of angry customers, bad feedback, legal repercussions, etc. if these are phony copies. Depending how good the knockoffs are (if they are indeed knockoffs), although not everyone will catch on, you have to figure that many of those who won his auctions are going to be savvy enough to tell if it's a fake.

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that they might be the real deal, since I can't believe anyone would be so stupid/brazen as to bootleg something like the Ed Wood DVD on a large scale, with all of the trouble that will follow when the proverbial stuff hits the fan.
I believe his Ed Wood Auctions say "no refund"

Double check if it's worth it to you. I had 2 of wolftoys dvds coming to me, but thought that it wasn't worth it and spent $50+shipping on one whome a seller had a sealed picture and hasn't sold any otehr ed wood other than the one for auction (never means anything, but I feel more confident now)
Old 02-14-04, 04:14 AM
Banned

One legit copy, gold trader, my personal sealed copy. It's going to ebay next if no one's interested: [email protected]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.