Community
Search

ED Wood DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ED Wood DVD

i was just wondering if anyone had any details as to why they are pulling the ed wood dvd that is supposed to come out next week. i am in retail and we got them early this week, but we were just told that we need to send them back, so i am assuming there is something on the disk. any help would be appreciated
Old 01-29-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=343687

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=342934
Old 01-30-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

KEEP THEM!!!
Old 01-30-04, 07:36 AM
Banned

Any chance you could tell us the reason?

One thread is 2 pages. I looked through it, and all I saw was the "some guy thinks that someone said this is the reason" thing.

The other thread is 20 pages long. If there has been a concrete reason for the recall, it would be nice to just post it here instead of sending people to spend a half hour or so pouring over that thread.
Old 01-30-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
But your answer is in the thread. Why make us look through it and save you the trouble. Look on the last page of the thread in the DVD Talk section.
Old 01-30-04, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by steebo777
But your answer is in the thread. Why make us look through it and save you the trouble. Look on the last page of the thread in the DVD Talk section.
I was simply asking for someone that knew the reason to just post it instead of sending a bunch of people to look through a 20 page thread.

But I'm sure you knew that, and ignored it in your rush to be an ass.
Old 01-30-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
because if we sum it up for everyone on every new thread created, then we will have to do that 20 times a day. Search button = your friend.
Old 01-30-04, 09:30 AM

Nobody knows yet, unfortunately.

edit: someone beat me to the punch. whoops!
Old 01-30-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
If there has been a concrete reason for the recall, it would be nice to just post it here instead of sending people to spend a half hour or so pouring over that thread.
There hasn't been a concrete reason given yet. There's just a lot of speculation.

Don't bother looking through that 20-page thread for something that isn't there.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 01-30-04 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
I was simply asking for someone that knew the reason to just post it instead of sending a bunch of people to look through a 20 page thread.

But I'm sure you knew that, and ignored it in your rush to be an ass.
I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was simply saying why create an entirely new thread devoted to this question which is basically unknown? As JackSkeleton said:
"because if we sum it up for everyone on every new thread created, then we will have to do that 20 times a day. Search button = your friend. "
Old 01-30-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was simply saying why create an entirely new thread devoted to this question which is basically unknown?
And why say "your answer is in the thread" when it isn't? You could have spent a lot less time, and been a lot more helpful, by just saying that no one knows yet.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 01-30-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 12:15 PM

Actually a manager from FYE (I belive that is where he said he works) said the memo he received stated it was a rights issue. That's about as concrete as it gets so far.
Old 01-30-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and Mao, whose posts are generally VERY accurate, said it was a disc defect.

There's nothing concrete about this one yet, IMO.

Rob
Old 01-30-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and Mao, whose posts are generally VERY accurate, said it was a disc defect
I dunno, maybe I just don't know how to read into what Mao says, since it seems as if people who know him regard what he said as positive proof, but the way I read that post was, "I've heard that the reason is that there's a huge flaw, can anybody who actually has the disc confirm this?" Which is to say, he sure didn't seem certain and was *definitely* asking for confirmation, so I take the fact that there have been like 10 pages of thread since then, and not a single person who has the disc has had any problem with it whatsoever, to be a very good sign that Mao may have been misinformed. (Possibly by people within the company who were looking to stop people from buying the recalled DVDs? I dunno, I don't want to get into speculation, especially paranoid speculation.)
Old 01-30-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buena Vista is not talking about why it has been recalled. And when they do, the are blowing smoke...

To have had the discs mastered, packaged and actually shipped lends to the best possible reason being one of the 'legal' nature (usually rights). If this is the case, BV will be extremely tight-lipped about it... here's hoping one of the disgruntled/fired animators will leak the real reason...
Old 01-30-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I dunno, maybe I just don't know how to read into what Mao says, since it seems as if people who know him regard what he said as positive proof
I don't know if you're including me in that, but I don't regard what he said as positive proof of anything except that, as I said in my first post to this thread, there's been no concrete reason given yet.

Rob
Old 01-30-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if you're including me in that,
I kinda loosely was, but it was inspired by the other thread, where there were people still clinging to that single post Mao made as "proof" based purely on the fact that he's usually really accurate, despite the fact that all he did was ask for somebody with the disc to confirm info he had been hearing as possible. It wasn't inspired by you, although I do disagree with the description that he "said it was" a defect (for previously stated reasons).

I wish this would be settled soon, but I kind of agree with whoever said that if it's a rights thing, we may never hear it.
Old 01-30-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Touché. I should have said he was told it was because of a disc defect.

Rob
Old 01-30-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After watching the movie three times on two different players, and watching all the extras once... I have to say that it's not a defect problem.
Old 01-30-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. Disney's refusal to put out any kind of statement up until now pretty clearly indicates that it's a rights issue. No doubt someone got an injunction (or threatened one), which could have resulted in fines for the company if they released it before the courts cleared everything up. Disney may make an official statement of some kind on the release date, but if they're caught up in some legal wrangling, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't say anything at all.
Old 01-30-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If it were a defect or something wrong with the content, I doubt Disney would go to the trouble of recalling them this close to release date.

A rights issue of some sort is the only thing that makes sense
Old 01-31-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man Di$ney has had some major problems this week. Nemo suit in France, losing Pixar, Ed Wood recalled. Well, maybe the Ed Wood recall isn't that big in the grand scheme of things, but it is in my mind damnit.
Old 01-31-04, 11:17 PM

I just don't trust Disney when it comes to giving reasons for delay of DVD titles.

Remember the Treasures Wave 3 from December? They were delayed because they were short of tins. But the real reason was references to Roy Disney in the middle of the Disney-Michael Eisner wars.

My favorite fib of Disney came in the early days of DVDs. Disney actually stated that the classic animated titles would NEVER come out on DVD because animated films do not transfer well due to "motion artifacts."

Someone care to explain that one!
Old 02-01-04, 06:48 PM

It's possible at the time they didn't have a good enough compression algorithm or they didn't feel like doing new transfers.
Old 02-03-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RobCA
And why say "your answer is in the thread" when it isn't?
No, the answer is in those threads, you just don't like the answer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.