Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What's the most you've rented from Netflix?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 10:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like such a loser. Last month I watched so many movies my eyes are probably bleeding. I had pneumonia and was bedridden for quite a while, so I ended up renting 61 movies the past month from Netflix. I'm on the 8 per month plan. I'm trying out Walmart too now since it takes Netflix forever to get me the new releases like Seabiscuit and Underworld. For the record, Walmart takes twice as long to get/send my DVDs than Netflix. (I'm in southern California.)

So what's the most any of you have rented in one month from Netflix?
Old 01-28-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We never kept count of how many in a month when we had the plan, but I do know the longest we kept a movie was 6 1/2 weeks. I started watching it the moved to another state before I finished it. We kept the other ones rotating throughout that time, but I did not want to send it back without finishing it. (it was for me only - hubby did not want to watch it)
Old 01-28-04, 10:57 PM

I think the most I ever watched in one month was probably 25 discs or so. A lot of them don't count though as I rented the Ken Burns Civil War along with the New York Documentary series.
Old 01-28-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch anywhere from 12-15 a month on top of the movies that I buy and watch. I average a movie a day.
Old 01-29-04, 12:08 AM

I don't know how many I receive a month but its up there. I consistantly have around 80 titles in queue.
Old 01-29-04, 12:09 AM

I rent from Cinemaflow an online dvd rental service up here in Canada and manage to see about 10-15 if Im efficienct in sending them back. I go to see about 2 movies a week in theatres. Im a movie nerd:P
Old 01-29-04, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny you should ask I was trying to figure out whether or not things were really slower recently or not (re: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=341296) so I dumped my entire rental history is a spreadsheet. Turns out overall I get around 15/mn on avg (after about 50 months w/ them switching between the various plans). I'm currently on the 5 and usually get in the low 20s/mn now though.
Old 01-29-04, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

hmm

is netflix expensive? i know a couple people who use it and it always slips my mind to ask them. but i was thinking about it for maybe over the summer time... haha are they pretty quick with getting things to you? thanks
Old 01-29-04, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The basic plan is 3 for ~$20/mn, there are also 8,5,2 out at a time plans (don't recall all the prices off hand though). They have enough distribution centers around now that most people seem to get the DVD the day after it is sent. The problem is getting the DVD back to them (free mailer is provided BTW) usually takes 2 to 3 times longer. I've had turn around times as quick as 4 days (sent one day, received/watched it the next, dropped it in the mail the next day, and returned/next one sent the 4th day), on avg though it's usually about 6 days for turn around of a specific DVD. The trick is to space them out (something I haven't done recently) so that you are always recieving something new in the mail
Old 01-29-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the 3 out at a time plan...

Last 30 Days
20 Rented

Last 31-90 Days
Old 01-29-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: hmm

Originally posted by grrkittymeow
is netflix expensive? i know a couple people who use it and it always slips my mind to ask them. but i was thinking about it for maybe over the summer time... haha are they pretty quick with getting things to you? thanks
http://www.netflix.com/PressRoom?id=5206

"Pricing Levels:
$13.95 Four DVDs a month, two (2) titles out at a time
$19.95 Unlimited DVDs, three (3) titles out at a time
$29.95 Unlimited DVDs, five (5) titles out at a time
$39.95 Unlimited DVDs, eight (8) titles out at a time"

Last 30-days, 27 movies
Old 01-30-04, 02:42 AM
Cool New Member

I figured that if I really push it, I could theoretically hit nearly 100 rentals per month (assuming the post man delievers early enough in the morning for me to watch short anime titles and sent it back later that day). From what I gather, they already lose money on those that rent more than 20 or so per month.

BTW, I also noticed that Netflix will slow you down themselves if you rent too much. For example, they will acknowledge receiving dvds back from you, but will delay sending out some new ones for a day or so. I think they do this to force you to space them out.

Between the 8-out plan from Netflix, the 4-out plan from Walmart, the 8-out plan from Cinflix, and the 10-20 dvds I buy each month . . . good lord I watch a lot of movies!
Old 01-30-04, 10:18 PM

Last 30 Days
10 Rented

Last 31-90 Days
21 Rented

3 out plan.
Old 01-30-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the snow is slowing them down around here....I sent one back on Monday and one on Tuesday and they only acknowledged the first one just today....it's usually two days tops. I know tuesday we had a storm of major proportions here, so i'm giving them the benfit of the doubt....but it does seem strange that whenever i pick up the pace this seems to happen. In December I returned two the same day, one was received in two days, the other didn't show up for SIX days!?!??!?

that said, I average around 8-10 a month....well worth it regardless for no hassle and no late fees.
Old 01-31-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to me they started slowing down right after my free trial expired...though maybe it was just the weather here too....who knows....I still figure about 18-20 rentals a month on the 3 out plan.
Old 02-20-04, 04:18 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I average out 12-15 a month. I could probably be receiving more DVDs a month but it doesn't appear that the nearby distribution center is active on Saturday (Tacoma, Wash.). Does anybody know if I'm correct about this. Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-20-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by funkyryno
I average out 12-15 a month. I could probably be receiving more DVDs a month but it doesn't appear that the nearby distribution center is active on Saturday (Tacoma, Wash.). Does anybody know if I'm correct about this. Anyone else notice this?
I'm pretty sure all of their centers are M-F only.
Old 02-20-04, 10:22 AM

I get about 20-25 a month on the 4 disc plan they don't offer anymore. I watch a lot of anime, so it's easy to watch multiple discs per night, but I did have one of the Sopranos discs for over two months before I realized I'd never watch it.
I do notice a slowdown when I'm consistently returning movies the day after I get them.
Old 02-21-04, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by funkyryno
I cannot remember ever getting a DVD checked in or shipped on a weekend. I did once drop off a couple of DVDs at the US Mail Center at the Greensboro/Triad airport on a Sunday afternoon. They were checked in at 4:30am Monday morning (at the Greensboro distribution center) and my next DVDs shipped out by 11am (or so the email said). So they may only work M-F but they seem to get up quite early to "make the donuts".
Old 02-21-04, 02:52 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
i know netflix used to ship on saturdays when they worked out of the single distribution center in california.
Old 02-21-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

36 in the last 30 days on the 4 out plan. Used to be I'd get them the newxt day but now there are taking 2 days to get to me. Sometimes I get them & return them on the same day.