Cassavetes/crappy Dvds/

Community
Search

Cassavetes/crappy Dvds/

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassavetes/crappy Dvds/

This is an interesting thread: http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterion...icID=630.topic
It also has links to a Cassavetes site and talks about discovery of Shadows original version.
Old 01-28-04, 10:36 PM

Yes, interesting. I have several of those Pioneer Cassavetes, and they do indeed sport some godawful transfers. But they're the only game in town, sadly, so I'm stuck with 'em. Here's hoping Criterion picks up those lapsed licenses and does these titles justice. The supplemental material alone would warrant a re-buy.
Old 01-29-04, 09:22 AM

What ever happened to LOVE STREAMS? MGM announced it years ago, but never released it.
Old 02-22-04, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Holy cow, that is one amazing story! A true needle in the haystack! Anyone who's ever thought about discovering some long thought forgotten film should read the article from The Guardian. It details the exhaustive search and discovery of that original version of SHADOWS. It's amazing the lengths he went to try and understand the evolution of this film between versions. Ray Carney is one seriously devoted film buff.

Here's hoping Criterion or someone creates a special edition with Mr. Carney's participation of course. I can't wait to see how the two versions differ. I sure hope we see something by the end of next year.

In related news, I dug out an old tape I have of HUSBANDS today from when it aired on the Independent Film Channel several years ago. I'm missing some of the beginning but watching this movie again after a few years really makes me crave a DVD of this, maybe one with a commentary with Falk and Gazzara. The VHS of this was released by Columbia. It's such a great movie, it's sad that it's not out yet.