Here are the details and the cover art!

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3145&n=1&burl=

I can't wait for this one!
Old 01-24-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice!
Old 01-24-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool, but I would have liked to have seen SEs of "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" released at the same time. Maybe MGM will wait and see how well this one sells.
Old 01-24-04, 01:42 PM

Very nice - I just wish Clint would provide a commentary though.
Old 01-24-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice but some flaws. No original mono track listed. I thought MGM announced a couple years ago,that they would always include the original soundtrack when doing remixes? Since they got some complaints about botched 5.1 mixes. They complied on a few releases/SEs,but as of late. Have gone back to 5.1 only releases,which is a shame.

Now I know some people prefer 5.1 or nothing,no matter how bad it sounds. While this film did not sound 'bad' in 5.1. It did sound 'different' & not always for the better. Most importantly the original unique gunfire sound effects(a whistle effect is the best way to describe it) were completely deleted & replaced with generic cannonball gunfire,which you can hear in any action movie.

So I will definitely be keeping the original dvd of this for that track. I 'may' get the new release but am not sure. The lack of mono track turns me off.

MGM should get with the program & follow Paramounts example with Once Upon A Time In The West. Both soundmixes were included!
Old 01-24-04, 02:13 PM
Banned

Now thats frickin awesome! But why no SE Boxset of the whole Trilogy?
Old 01-24-04, 02:16 PM
MSD

Great news but i wish they would do SEs of the other flicks too.
Old 01-24-04, 02:31 PM

The current DVD of this film is pretty good - which can't be said about the other two films in the trilogy. I'll definitely be buying this, but I wish they'd do the other ones in special editions as well, because they're almost unwatchable as they are right now.
Old 01-24-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the details!
Old 01-24-04, 03:54 PM
Banned

This makes me want to shout

"Doo doo dee dee doo, waaah waaah waaah"
Old 01-24-04, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Nice but some flaws. No original mono track listed.

- Italian Mono Audio Soundtrack

It does have a mono track according to the specs (original language) and english subs if you can not speak Italian.

Seems fine to me.

Last edited by Hamburger3; 01-24-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

I am so excited about this. I got to see this restored version at the Nuart last summer, and I'm glad it's finally coming out on DVD.

For those asking why the whole trilogy hasn't been released, restoration hasn't even started on For A Few Dollars More. I don't know why Fistfull isn't getting a release, as its restoration was done a year ago. Hopefully if this sells well, MGM will see fit to release Fistfull ASAP.

The guy who is doing the restoration on all the Leone films said he was going to do Duck, You Sucker! before doing For A Few Dollars More, so don't except that one for a long time.
Old 01-24-04, 07:14 PM
Banned

Guess I'll be sellin this and the old Great Escape discs...nice...
Old 01-24-04, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Hamburger3
- Italian Mono Audio Soundtrack

It does have a mono track according to the specs (original language) and english subs if you can not speak Italian.

Seems fine to me.
Are you trying to be funny or are you serious?

In case you are unaware. The film has no 'original' language soundtrack. It has been discussed time & again from people whining about the lips never matching the words on various films. Anyway the actors spoke in their original languages,be it, Enlish,Italian or whatever. It was then dubbed by other people to suit various countries languages. So it may play in Japanese in Japan or German in Germany. You get the picture.

So Italian is not the 'original' language of the film. Neither is English as it has no original language.

But the original English mono mix as released in the United States in theaters & on video & dvd that many people are familiar with & grew up with is not on the dvd at all. So no we are not getting the 'original' mono mix we grew up on.

Also I hope to not see any 'is my dvd defective,the voices are out of sync!" threads which always seem to pop up
Old 01-25-04, 04:20 AM
Banned by request

In case you are unaware. The film has no 'original' language soundtrack. It has been discussed time & again from people whining about the lips never matching the words on various films. Anyway the actors spoke in their original languages,be it, Enlish,Italian or whatever. It was then dubbed by other people to suit various countries languages. So it may play in Japanese in Japan or German in Germany. You get the picture.

So Italian is not the 'original' language of the film. Neither is English as it has no original language.

But the original English mono mix as released in the United States in theaters & on video & dvd that many people are familiar with & grew up with is not on the dvd at all. So no we are not getting the 'original' mono mix we grew up on.

Also I hope to not see any 'is my dvd defective,the voices are out of sync!" threads which always seem to pop up
They didn't put the original english mono track on the DVD because it's a longer cut, and the added scenes weren't in the American theatrical release. There is no english mono soundtrack for this version of the film, period.
Old 01-25-04, 05:56 AM

But if a mono track does not exist for this longer cut then you can not complain if its not on the dvd.

You did not grow up with this version of the film at all as its never been widely release in the cinema so thats completely wrong.

Old 01-25-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm keeping the original also, mainly because it has the original cut of the film that we all love so much.
Old 01-25-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah but does this SE have an insert?

I'm with Rypro. I'm keeping my copy of the current version too. The deleted scenes don't add much, if anything, to the story, IMHO. I'll wait for inevitable price cut on the SE before double dipping for the documentaries.
Old 01-25-04, 08:51 AM

i'll be selling my original.
Old 01-25-04, 10:58 AM

Around Christmas time I was going to pick The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. I'm glad I held out for the SE.
Old 01-25-04, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
They didn't put the original english mono track on the DVD because it's a longer cut, and the added scenes weren't in the American theatrical release. There is no english mono soundtrack for this version of the film, period.
Are you forgetting that the deleted scenes shown on the current dvd while in Italian are in mono?

They could easily use the English mono track for the entire film,then use a mono English dub of the new scenes & still have the mono version of the film intact.

Either that or they could do an AnchorBay & keep the deleted scenes in Italian & have subtitles.

So I do not see any reason why an English mono track is being omitted.

Just because this a 'new version' of the film does not make it ok to tamper with & 'upgrade' the soundtrack since the 'old mix is outdated'.

Also you should look at it this way. The Three Hour Version never had a 5.1 mix either

So I don't see how they could just delete the mono mix. They could have easily offered mutilple choices such as

U.S. Theatrical Version in English(mono)
Extended Version in English(mono) with Italian subtitles for added scenes
Extended Version in English(mono) with dubbed English for added scenes
+ also have a 5.1 option.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 01-25-04 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-25-04, 05:07 PM

As the current dvd has the mono track its not need on this one.

Why duplicate it again ?

If you want the mono track its available.

This is a new cut and required an upgrade in the soundtrack.

I dont see this as a problem.
Old 01-25-04, 05:18 PM

Well it is important since it seems people care more about filling there speakers than appreciating a films original soundmix,which can sound incredible is restored properly & usually sounds better than the 5.1 'upgrade'.

So the least they could do is offer us a choice,which is better than being stuck with a 5.1 only.

I am glad MGM did not release The Terminator in 5.1 only like they did in other countries. That mix is a perfect example of the wrongs of 'upgrading'.

Yet I also hate that they seem to constantly forget to include the original mix on their SE's lately besides a few.
Old 01-25-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

actually julie, the new version has always had a 5.1 track. It primiered on AMC (in widescreen no less) in 5.1 stereo, and in select theaters in 5.1.
Old 01-25-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great to (Finally) see a Morricone featurette! Y'all don't know how long I've been waiting for this.

Would've been nice of the coverart to include "The Bad" and "The Ugly", but other than that, no complaints.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.