Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Community
Search

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My amazon order from November shipped yesterday. We'll see...
Old 02-03-04, 09:14 AM

Just picked up the only copy that my local Borders had. I'm SO glad to finally have this on DVD. I think it's the last film, except for Star Wars, that I have to replace the LD version of.

It's gonna be a long day at work waiting to get home to watch this!
Old 02-03-04, 09:19 AM

Only 1 listed on half.com at ridiculous price of $120:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1877&meta_id=3
Old 02-03-04, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Cocopugg
Only 1 listed on half.com at ridiculous price of $120:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1877&meta_id=3
Someone will buy it. That's not a ridiculous price at all for a disc that's so in demand.
Old 02-03-04, 09:30 AM

HOLD ON EVERYONE

I finally cracked the seal on my copy, only to experience problems playing the disc. Everything was fine until around the 1 hour 22 minute mark and the disc started pausing, skipping, and stopping. The most severe problems occured during the baptism scene and the filming plan 9 scenes.

My DVD player is a Samsung M301 and I've never experience these problems with a new disc before. Maybe the defect news was true.
Old 02-03-04, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by jough
Someone will buy it. That's not a ridiculous price at all for a disc that's so in demand.
I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember when VHS videos first came out, but it was common to see VHS tapes released at the street price of $100 or more. So you're right, $120 actually isn't such a bad price after all.

CP
Old 02-03-04, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

It is a ridiculous price.

There are sealed copies going on eBay for less than half that amount. A week ago, it wasn't ridiculous, but there are too many discs for sale right now to support that price.

Last edited by Matt Gordon; 02-03-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by DealMan
HOLD ON EVERYONE

I finally cracked the seal on my copy, only to experience problems playing the disc. Everything was fine until around the 1 hour 22 minute mark and the disc started pausing, skipping, and stopping. The most severe problems occured during the baptism scene and the filming plan 9 scenes.
Gaaaa! Anyone else having problems? I bought a copy but haven't opened it yet...awaiting word on the reason for the recall...
Old 02-03-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wal-Mart - NO
CC - NO
Best Buy - NO
FYE - NO
Borders - Didn't have any in stock, but I have 2 copies on order. We will see if they ever come in.
Old 02-03-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW FYE told me it was recalled for legal reasons.
Old 02-03-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DVD player is a Samsung M301 and I've never experience these problems with a new disc before. Maybe the defect news was true.
I dunno, in my opinion, it still doesn't ring true, based on how I've observed these companies doing business, that they'd recall all these discs and cost themselves all this money just because of a few glitches (which are clearly not widespread, based on this entire thread).

Did you try it in a different player? Will we have to do a list of which ones its confirmed as working in?
Old 02-03-04, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Quake1028
FWIW FYE told me it was recalled for legal reasons.
That's what Circuit City's employee DVD listing says also.
Old 02-03-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Found Ed Wood at the Border's in Richmond, VA. Only copy on the shelf, $19.99.

The Best Buy near me here in Dallas has about 30 of 'em sitting in the Comedy section. My Borders had a couple as well.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My local Borders reports that they have 2 in stock, but the person I spoke with said she could not find it out on the shelf. Not looking good in my search so far.
Old 02-03-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found 6 copies (now only 4 ) at my local Fred Meyer (NW chain store). It's marked $19.99, but there is a $3 off coupon good all this week. I'm not going to open mine until I hear the reason for the recall.
Old 02-03-04, 10:25 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by DealMan
HOLD ON EVERYONE

Oh no, I have a Samsung M301, too. I hope it's not a player/disc problem. Maybe it's just a bad disc.

My local Borders is holding a copy for me and I'll be driving down around 5 to pick it up. (The nearest Borders is 45 minutes away.) The one copy at my Blockbuster was pulled this morning before I could get there. If some people are having luck at Best Buy, I'll have to check in there, too.

I thought being out of the way up here in Maine, I'd have a little more luck. Curse the power of the Internet and its rapid communication.
Old 02-03-04, 10:40 AM

I thought being out of the way up here in Maine, I'd have a little more luck. Curse the power of the Internet and its rapid communication. [/B]
Borders in South Portland had one on the shelf this morning, which I snagged, and I haven't been able to find any anywhere else in Southern Maine. Sam Goody in Augusta let me reserve one yesterday (for $5) but wouldn't let me purchase it this morning due to the recall. Blockbuster in Westbrook had been saying all week that they had one copy, which they could never find and then, last night, began saying that they didn't have it and wouldn't be getting it. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-03-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amazon shipped my order this morning (which was placed the day this insanity first started), so we'll see what I get in a week or so.
Old 02-03-04, 10:58 AM

Apparently the local Best Buy here in san antonio didn't get the memo..have plenty of copies, though I was quick to notice that people buying it are buying multiple copies (I just bought one cos I ain't got no job and hardly any money right now).

-Tim
Old 02-03-04, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by kdavis
Borders in South Portland had one on the shelf this morning, which I snagged, and I haven't been able to find any anywhere else in Southern Maine. Sam Goody in Augusta let me reserve one yesterday (for $5) but wouldn't let me purchase it this morning due to the recall. Blockbuster in Westbrook had been saying all week that they had one copy, which they could never find and then, last night, began saying that they didn't have it and wouldn't be getting it. Good luck with your search!
Did you happen to check Best Buy?

Like I said, there's one being reserved for me so if you were able to purchase one with no problem, I think I should be okay.

I'm in Lewiston, and I tried all the local places so South Portland was my next shot. If I don't manage to get it there, I was going to head up to Bangor and see what they have.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-04, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by kdavis
Oh well, thanks for this post. I was just getting ready to run across the street to that Borders and see if they had any as soon as I finished this thread.
Old 02-03-04, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

I can't help but think that when this movie finally comes out for real on DVD, very few people will buy it because most of the people who want it will have it already!
Old 02-03-04, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by redinger
Oh well, thanks for this post. I was just getting ready to run across the street to that Borders and see if they had any as soon as I finished this thread.
I love how something like this brings Mainers out of the woodwork. This is my third year and I've never met seen anyone from Maine and now, two.

There's a Borders in Bangor you might want to call. And I haven't heard anyone say the South Portland Best Buy doesn't have them out.
Old 02-03-04, 11:30 AM

Danvers MA:
FYE - "Sold out"
Best Buy - Said "Deleted" on their computer, none of the guys I talked to heard of the recall, they expected shipment later that day.
Suncoast - Nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.