DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   How many of your dvd's are still unopened (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/342727-how-many-your-dvds-still-unopened.html)

gutwrencher 01-22-04 05:50 PM

un-opened....0
un-watched...0

...except for the 8 dvds arriving on Friday.:D

chente 01-22-04 05:59 PM

the ratio is something like 18/130 I haven't double-checked though.

LasVegasMichael 01-22-04 06:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How many of your dvd's are still unopened

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
yeah, & you're in the wrong crowd here, bud :D
By recovery, I mean that I am looking more at quality (i.e. Ten Commandments instead of Last Action Hero), moreso then just "cheap DVDs."

There was a time when quantity was what I desired, and now, finally, I have evolved into wanting a quality collection.

But that is just me. -ptth-

--LVM

MEJHarrison 01-22-04 06:39 PM

I have none unopened, but about 30 unwatched out of about 200. That's a new high for me. I got behind last Christmas with Fellowship of the Ring and haven't been able to catch up since.

vivarey 01-22-04 07:07 PM

At least 20%... ouch, gotta go and catch up now.

MrDs10e 01-22-04 07:13 PM

The value of not opening DVDs until I watch them didn't occur to me until recently when I found a copy of "Gleaming the Cube" in a store and sold it on EBay for $200. So for a long time, I was opening DVDs just for the thrill of unwrapping them. Since then, I don't open em 'til I watch em for the most part.

DVDs: ~ 150
Unwatched: ~ 50
Unopened: ~ 10

bjh_18 01-22-04 07:18 PM

unopened - 0
unwatched - 0

I open them as soon as I get home (or get in the car if someone else is driving) and I watch them as soon as I possibly can.

John Sy 01-22-04 07:46 PM

I have only one unopened DVD out of a total collection of 315 titles. It's "My Fellow Americans"...my wife bought that one and it's in fullscreen so it stayed unopened and unwatched.

QuiGonJosh 01-22-04 09:36 PM

not a single disc...

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 01-22-04 10:46 PM

probably 20/300.

baracine 01-22-04 10:50 PM

Ever since it came out, I've had this unopened copy of the Criterion Edition of Agnès Varda's Vagabond which I cold-bought on the strength of my liking Cléo in the Afternoon so much. I have been putting off watching it because I am afraid it will depress me to death. It's the post-mortem of a dead female teenage runaway. Am I wrong?

HistoryProf 01-22-04 11:04 PM

out of 325 all of them are opened, 25 or so are unwatched - I had that number in the single digits before that damned DDD sale and xmas hit.....but who's complaining?

MisterMidnite 01-23-04 12:04 AM

Re: Re: How many of your dvd's are still unopened

Originally posted by atari2600
then why do you keep buying them?
Because I have a problem, and I'm man enough to admit that.

JesseCuster 01-23-04 12:45 AM

..None..

Yakuza Bengoshi 01-23-04 08:21 AM

Originally posted by baracine
Ever since it came out, I've had this unopened copy of the Criterion Edition of Agnès Varda's Vagabond which I cold-bought on the strength of my liking Cléo in the Afternoon so much. I have been putting off watching it because I am afraid it will depress me to death. It's the post-mortem of a dead female teenage runaway. Am I wrong?
Sure, it's not the most uplifting film ever made, but rather than be depressing I think it can make one greatful for the choices one has made. Very minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
the protagonist is offered several opportunities to choose paths other than the one that she did. It's not the story of a poor unfortunate who's the complete victim of circumstances beyond her control.
Try watching it on a Saturday afternoon in a well heated room with a full stomach. You'll do fine. :)

Quake1028 01-23-04 09:06 AM

Most of the 40+ I have gotten since Christmas. I am between homes right now and haven't had a chance.

SilverScreen 01-23-04 09:09 AM

Unopened ='s 0
Unwatched ='s 20+

rexinnih 01-23-04 07:24 PM

One day I vow to get through all those remaining in my 007 box set.

unbeeleebable 01-23-04 08:03 PM

Lots..and yes I have the same problem.

PapaWheelie 01-23-04 09:23 PM

I have about 17 (including the six CH enrollment titles that just came in today). Was contemplating about opening all of them so that I could say: "I have zero unopened DVDs," but I got lazy -- which is prolly the sole reason why 17 remain unopened to this day.

DarthVong 01-24-04 12:10 AM

1 -Jaws: The Revenge.

Havent bought any "drink" to work up the courage to watch it...

jough 01-24-04 01:23 AM

I always open them right away. I like to check out the insert and disc art, I pop up the disc to make sure it's not dirty or scratched, etc.

I have about 8 unwatched, although I'm going to be popping in one of those tonight. By the end of the month I'll have seen them all at least once.

Then comes February 3rd. ;)

D-Ball 01-24-04 01:34 AM

Originally posted by jough

Then comes February 3rd. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about Feb. 3. There is still plenty of time to delay a few more of those releases. First it was Kill Bill, then Ed Wood.

I have a few dozen unopened. The DDD sale along with a few other purchases got to me around the same time. So I'm still a little backlogged.

madcougar 01-24-04 08:37 AM

I open my DVDs immediatly just to make sure they haven't come loose off that gizmo and gotten scratched. That's happened at least twice.

I also try very hard to watch them as soon as possible.

DVD Smurf 01-24-04 09:51 AM

I do not know...