Cabin Fever cut & issues with Lions Gate.

Old 01-19-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cabin Fever cut & issues with Lions Gate.

This was over at creature-corner.com,an interview with the director. I am really annoyed with LG now,they seem to be screwing everyone over lately & we now know why they have released few unrated cuts anymore.

Ryan Rotten: What were your intentions with the dvd? You've crammed a lot on there, but...there's no "director's cut."

Eli Roth: I just love laser discs and DVDs that are loaded with extras but sometimes it gets to be too much. You know? Sometimes I get, like, a seven-disc set of something and I never watch the extra stuff. Sometimes I'll get a disc with [the director's] student films - they're never really that great, I don't need to see every single thing this guy has done. So, I wanted to have a disc that was loaded with just fun stuff. If anything on this DVD is excessive it's probably the commentaries. But, on the other hand, I just wanted the bonus material to be really juicy. Although my original cut of 'Cabin Fever' was monkeyed with, Lions Gate didn't really cut a lot of gore. So there wasn't really a lot of deleted scenes that I think needed to make [the DVD] that everyone needed to see.

RR: The first time you showed me the film, everything was intact. My memory is foggy - and there are folks out there who haven't seen the original cut - so can you explain what was excised?

ER: The hospital scene was cut. Normally [Rider Strong's Paul] was asked a few more questions [by the police] that slowly builds up to Rider just being insane. There was a scene where Tommy is suffocating Dennis on the swing at the General Store. That's why Jordan Ladd walks into the store doing that suffocating thing, she's explaining what she just saw. Also, there's a whole scene after Rider stabs the guy in the back at the end, he drags the blonde guy in the basement and throws him in there. We have an 'Evil Dead 2' shot, Rider leaves this guy alive on purpose and tells him, "Tell everyone it's not my fault." Later, when the cops are burning the bodies Winston says, "I think there's another one in the basement." The deputies then go up to the cabin, open the door to the basement, find the blonde guy, shoot him, like, fifty times and burn the cabin to the ground. So all that was cut.

RR: That's all pretty big stuff, anything minor?

ER: Well, there's stuff of Jeff drinking by the shed so people knew where he is during all the chaos. Cuts like that where people didn't really notice but me. The ending is different too. At the end of the movie after the gun joke, there's like a three-minute shot of the front of the general store with everyone in the town drinking [the contaminated lemonade]. Then after the credits roll there was supposed to be a tag which had this guy coming out of the store, taking a drink of the lemonade, and then driving away in his spring water truck. Lions Gate wound up sticking a shot of the water truck before the credits.

RR: Didn't the credits originally roll over the scene as it played out? I don't remember them ever going to black.

ER: Yeah, all the cast credits were over the picture. I did that because they did it in 'Five Easy Pieces,' that's what I wanted. But now it's weird. It's frustrating for me to watch but at the end of the day - we showed it to two different audiences though and the Gate cut tested higher.
Old 01-19-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, these cuts were made in the film before the theatrical releae, right? Not the DVD. If so, how is that different from what pretty much any other studio does?

Either way, I would have liked to see the deleted scenes or had a chance to buy an unrated director's cut.
Old 01-19-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll wait for the Signature Series...

Whatever gets Eli to make Till Death Do Us Party sooner.
Old 01-19-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Whatever gets Eli to make Till Death Do Us Party sooner.
Dude, I could not agree more. That interview is one of the funniest things I have ever read.
Old 01-19-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Cabin Fever cut & issues with Lions Gate.

Originally posted by Julie Walker
we now know why they have released few unrated cuts anymore.
We do? Did you even read the interview? Roth says that "Lions Gate didn't really cut a lot of gore." The changes that Lion's Gate made were not for ratings purposes, they all appear to be cuts that make the film leaner. They're not just gore trims at all. Nothing in that interview explains to us "why they have released few unrated cuts anymore."

DJ
Old 01-19-04, 11:12 PM

I'm confused on the point of the thread.
Every film suffers cuts. Did you think Cabin Fever didn't have anything cut?
It's not like they was cut from the DVD.
Old 01-19-04, 11:52 PM

Well he states that he feels they screwed up the flow of the ending by altering it. This is not a case of 'gore or no gore'. This is an issue of the directors original version. He seems to feel his original cut,which played in festivals works best. But LG did not & cut quite abit out of it.

Yet lately it seems LG has stopped releasing unrated versions,besides Irreversible. The R rated only list keeps on growing with Rules of Attraction,House of 1000 Corpses(uncut may happen,still uncertain),Return of the Living Dead 3,The Convent,Beyond Re-animator. All of which had either alittle(Beyond) or extensive(Corpses,Return 3) cuts in order to avoid an NC-17.

Also after hearing so much about the movie from people who saw the original uncut version Roth intended. I was really looking forward to the film. Yet when I did catch it in theaters. It was fun,but nothing spectacular & seemed 'off' at some moments,especially the ending.

So when it was originally announced that a Directors Cut would be released. I was really happy & looking forward to seeing the original version. Yet as with the other films listed. That never happened....& Roth seems to hint that it may not happen,with current LG managment. Thus he tried to load up this dvd with as many extras as possible. So it is not a total loss,but still disappointing nonetheless.
Old 01-20-04, 01:15 AM

i saw this film at a festival and in the theatrical release. i will not be buying this dvd. the theatrical cut reduces the effectiveness of the ending completely.
Old 01-20-04, 01:47 AM

Yet lately it seems LG has stopped releasing unrated versions,besides Irreversible. The R rated only list keeps on growing with Rules of Attraction,House of 1000 Corpses(uncut may happen,still uncertain),Return of the Living Dead 3,The Convent,Beyond Re-animator. All of which had either alittle(Beyond) or extensive(Corpses,Return 3) cuts in order to avoid an NC-17.
All of which bears no apparent relation to the Cabin Fever situation, as the cuts to CF had nothing to do with ratings. I still don't understand how you can read the Roth interview and come away saying that "we now know why they have released few unrated cuts anymore." No insight into Lions Gate's unrated release policy is given whatsoever.

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 03:56 AM

I never said CF was cut for ratings reasons

But you can see a pattern here with the other films,where LG has released rated versions only to get them into certain retailers. Hence the lack of unrated material lately from them.
Old 01-20-04, 05:23 AM

I never said CF was cut for ratings reasons
No, you said that, thanks to the interview, "we now know why they have released few unrated cuts anymore." If CF wasn't cut for ratings reasons, how do we know why Lions Gate releases few unrated discs lately? Since you've said that "we now know" why, please tell us: why does Lions Gate no release few unrated discs? And from where in the interview did you glean that information?

But you can see a pattern here with the other films,where LG has released rated versions only to get them into certain retailers. Hence the lack of unrated material lately from them.
I see no pattern related to Cabin Fever or this Eli Roth interview.

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by djtoell
All of which bears no apparent relation to the Cabin Fever situation, as the cuts to CF had nothing to do with ratings. I still don't understand how you can read the Roth interview and come away saying that "we now know why they have released few unrated cuts anymore." No insight into Lions Gate's unrated release policy is given whatsoever.

DJ
but as I interpreted Julie's header: "Cabin Fever and issues with Lions Gate" she is addressing two issues here, and I agree that Lions Gates Home Video have in the past promised unrated cuts of "Rules" and "Corpses" yet they have never appeared as such. And I also agree with your statement: No insight into Lions Gate's unrated release policy is given whatsoever. illustrates perfectly that the company is non-complacent to past statements in regards to restoring or allowing filmmakers to release full unexpurgerated versions of films on DVD. Whatever the reasoning Lions Gates has a lot of 'xplaining' to do.
Old 01-20-04, 02:38 PM

I wonder how long before we have to wait to find out that Paramount or Universal is buying LG. seems like they are taking their stance for unrated films.
Old 01-20-04, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I wonder how long before we have to wait to find out that Paramount or Universal is buying LG. seems like they are taking their stance for unrated films.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Universal own Lions Gate, or at least they originally owned them. I remember a lot of original LG releases having both banners on them.
Old 01-20-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lions Gate has always been indepedently owned.

When Lions Gate started releasing films theatrically in the US, they would be released onto video by Universal (as Lions Gate had an agreement with them). There were a few exceptions, like Dogma which was released by Columbia/Tri-Star.

Before the agreement ended, Lions Gate bought Trimark. Just recently, Lions Gate also bought Artisan.
Old 01-20-04, 03:53 PM

I wasn't being serious.
Old 01-20-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I still don't understand this, were those cuts made before the theatrical version, I saw it there but don't remember. How is the dvd a theatrical re-edit (par Dvdaf)? Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm confused.
Old 01-20-04, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Giles
but as I interpreted Julie's header: "Cabin Fever and issues with Lions Gate" she is addressing two issues here
But she also said, thanks to the interview, "we now know why they have released few unrated cuts." Do we really?

DJ
Old 01-20-04, 06:52 PM

I would have loved to have seen these extra scenes, but this thread scared me to death. I was afraid they cut the movie I saw in the theater for the dvd, which would have really pissed me off. Compared to that fear, this doesn't seem so bad.