about how many laserdiscs were there?

 
Old 01-18-04, 11:08 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
about how many laserdiscs were there?

My brother is convinced that there weren't nearly as much laserdiscs as there are dvds, that nobody bought them since they were 80 bucks, and only lasted for about a few years.
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 01-18-04, 11:46 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,006
LDs were first sold in 1978 and were made for more than 20 years. I'm sure there are still not as many DVD titles as LD titles. But the way DVDs have sold compared to LDs I would be just as sure that there have been many more total DVDs sold than LDs.

The vast majority were under $80. $30-$40 MSRP was the price for most.
movielib is offline  
Old 01-18-04, 11:47 PM
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Flava-Country!
Posts: 3,964
Re: about how many laserdiscs were there?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
My brother is convinced that there weren't nearly as much laserdiscs as there are dvds, that nobody bought them since they were 80 bucks, and only lasted for about a few years.
Only lasted a few years? More like 20 - the medium was introduced in the mid-late 70's. I cant tell you an exact number on how many there were, but there were a lot - several thousand releases easy. It seemed that every release from the studio saw an LD come out along with it - so I'd say at least 10K.

Are there more DVDs? The medium has seen a growth that LD never experianced, so as of now yeah. There are more DVDs - but a couple of years ago, I'd say the reverse was true.
El-Kabong is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 12:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
It was even being printed in 2000.

there is still titles out there that will never show up on dvd.

the draw back to laserdisc was the price and the general public was already enjoying VHS.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 12:55 AM
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Flava-Country!
Posts: 3,964
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It was even being printed in 2000.
I think my Japanese copy of Phantom Menace was out in very early 2001 - if memory serves me correctly.

there is still titles out there that will never show up on dvd.[/B]
Take a copy of the 1984 re-release of Metropolis (with the rock soundtrack and the tinting) - I gar-un-teen that version will never see the light of day in any medium ever again.
El-Kabong is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 01:08 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: City of Chicago
Posts: 1,583
The average cost per movie across my laserdisc collection (over 500 titles) is $27.26, which is obviously much lower than $80.
shill66 is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 03:49 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,496
The first laserdisc titles on DiscoVision were priced around $15- of course then the discs turned out to cost more to manufacture than they had figured, since the first ones had so many defects.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 04:37 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 688
I for one have about 80 - 90 Laserdiscs in my collection. Still wont part with them, and still the only place you can get a better than VHS of Star Wars OTR. Phantom Menace was also the last Laserdisc I bought. I have had DVD for about 6 years, and there are still movies I have on Laser that are not on DVD yet. Prices ranged anywhere from $20 to $150 for some Criterions.
rushmore223 is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 10:15 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
I don't have exact figures, but I remember the 'ballpark' number of LD titles being thrown around near the end of the format was 20,000. And the # of players being about 2 million.

DVD has already eclipsed the # of titles (being well over 30,000 now). And, obviously, the # of players out there long ago passed LD.


People definitely bought them. (People are *still* buying them.) And the format -- with a 20 year retail life span -- certainly can't be called a failure. But DVD is obviously a much more successful format.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 12:53 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,986
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Take a copy of the 1984 re-release of Metropolis (with the rock soundtrack and the tinting) - I gar-un-teen that version will never see the light of day in any medium ever again.
Getting this version would be like trying to draw blood from a stone!

I saw this version on my 17th birthday, my first viewing of Metropolis. While I now appreciate the colorless, silent version more, this version will always hold a place in my heart.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 01:14 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: "Sitting on a beach, earning 20%"
Posts: 6,154
Originally posted by bboisvert
I don't have exact figures, but I remember the 'ballpark' number of LD titles being thrown around near the end of the format was 20,000. And the # of players being about 2 million.

DVD has already eclipsed the # of titles (being well over 30,000 now). And, obviously, the # of players out there long ago passed LD.
Are you sure about those numbers? I was about to post that while DVD has sold more units there still are not as many titles on DVD as there were on Laser. There were so many Laserdisc titles. Easily more than 20,000 it seams to me.
Pants is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 01:36 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,006
Originally posted by Pants
Are you sure about those numbers? I was about to post that while DVD has sold more units there still are not as many titles on DVD as there were on Laser. There were so many Laserdisc titles. Easily more than 20,000 it seams to me.
I thought so too, which is what I said in the first reply post of this thread. I didn't know the numbers precisely enough to think I could give them but I also think there were a lot more than 20,000 LD titles.

We could be wrong.
movielib is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 02:42 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 688
20,000 seems kind of low to me, where are you getting your figures?
rushmore223 is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 02:59 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,212
I am sure there are more than 20,000 laserdisc titles out there. I was an early adopter and had a love/hate relationship with this format. The laser-rot was more annoying than anything you'd see on DVD.

Diesel
DieselsDen is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 03:36 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally posted by Pants
Are you sure about those numbers?
No, as I said, this was just a 'ballpark' number that was being thrown around. Probably in alt.video.laserdisc during the late 1990s.

Still, I'm surprised that so many people thing this number is off. I've been a long-time LD owner and I'm very familiar with what titles are (and are not) available. That number seems pretty damn close to me.

But I'd be very happy if someone could provide a more reliable source than my word-of-mouth estimate.


EDIT: From JoshZ's great LaserDisc Forever site(http://www.mindspring.com/~laserdisc...r/prologue.htm):

"In the years before DVD, laserdisc was the definitive collector's medium for high resolution video, producing a tremendous volume of output (estimates say approximately 15,000 titles) and some of the finest archive editions of classic movies, many of which may never be reproduced on DVD due to rights issues."

Last edited by bboisvert; 01-19-04 at 03:48 PM.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 03:49 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: South Surrey, BC
Posts: 3,990
From Jim Taylor's DVD FAQ:
Laserdisc still fills niches in education and training, but is fading even there. Existing players and discs will be around for a while, though almost no new discs are being produced. There were once over 9,000 laserdisc titles in the US and a total of over 35,000 titles worldwide that could be played on over 7 million laserdisc players. It took DVD several years to reach this level, and there are still rare titles available on laserdisc but not on DVD. One bright point is that laserdiscs can now be had at bargain prices.
DivxGuy is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 03:57 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
And a Bargin price is an under statement. I used to be careful what I picked up because of price, now a days if you go to any flea market or used record store you can pick them up for a few bucks. Bought my Blade Runner: CC for 6 dollars. So many titles that will never see the light of day on dvd or be placed on dvd like they were on LD because of legal right issues. If you can find a cheap LD player, I would suggest picking it up just to pick up some cheap older stuff.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 05:41 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: "Sitting on a beach, earning 20%"
Posts: 6,154
Let's put it this way: There may have been 20,000 titles on LD or there may have been 20,000,000 all I'm really getting at is that there were MORE titles on LD than there are on DVD to date. In the CC alone there are 50+ titles that have yet to see the light of day on DVD from anyone and I can name a 100 more off the top of my head. If I can do that so easily I imagine there are thousands of titles on LD that are yet to be on DVD.

...and the other way around there are very few DVD's titles that were never on LD (accept new releases of course, which could off set this count.)
Pants is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 06:15 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally posted by Pants
all I'm really getting at is that there were MORE titles on LD than there are on DVD to date.

(snip)

...and the other way around there are very few DVD's titles that were never on LD (accept new releases of course, which could off set this count.)
See, I disagree with you here. I can think of *thousands* of titles on DVD that were never on LD. Think of all the documentaries, TV shows, and releases of recent films. And all of the obscure films (Anchor Bay, Blue Underground types).

According to http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm there are over 7600 DVDs released for movies made between 2000-2003. With a couple of minor exceptions, NONE of those made it to LD.

And when I try to do it in the other direction, I'm left with a few hundred titles and pretty much the entire RKO catalog.


I think the "total titles" swung to DVD's favor about a year or two ago. I'm honestly suprised that people would disagree.

Oh well, without a detailed list of all LDs released (which, unfortunately, does not exist online), this is impossible to prove. I just know from my own obsessive collecting of both formats over the past 2 decades that I find there are significantly more titles available on DVD. But that's just my opinion.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 06:23 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Unique New York
Posts: 4,241
Originally posted by bboisvert

Oh well, without a detailed list of all LDs released (which, unfortunately, does not exist online), this is impossible to prove.
Sounds like a fun weekend project

I've noticed that many I was going to buy on LD are appearing on DVD, so it appears more and more titles will no longer be only on LD, unless its a really obscure release or a version that studios/directors/whoever refuse to release now.
JoeyOhhhh is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 06:56 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,006
Originally posted by bboisvert
See, I disagree with you here. I can think of *thousands* of titles on DVD that were never on LD. Think of all the documentaries, TV shows, and releases of recent films. And all of the obscure films (Anchor Bay, Blue Underground types).

According to http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm there are over 7600 DVDs released for movies made between 2000-2003. With a couple of minor exceptions, NONE of those made it to LD.

And when I try to do it in the other direction, I'm left with a few hundred titles and pretty much the entire RKO catalog.


I think the "total titles" swung to DVD's favor about a year or two ago. I'm honestly suprised that people would disagree.

Oh well, without a detailed list of all LDs released (which, unfortunately, does not exist online), this is impossible to prove. I just know from my own obsessive collecting of both formats over the past 2 decades that I find there are significantly more titles available on DVD. But that's just my opinion.
After further review I have to admit you are probably right.

But perhaps there are still more LD titles of American theatrical movies released before 1997.
movielib is offline  
Old 01-19-04, 11:04 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
laserdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,007
Originally posted by bboisvert
See, I disagree with you here. I can think of *thousands* of titles on DVD that were never on LD. Think of all the documentaries, TV shows, and releases of recent films. And all of the obscure films (Anchor Bay, Blue Underground types).

According to http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm there are over 7600 DVDs released for movies made between 2000-2003. With a couple of minor exceptions, NONE of those made it to LD.

And when I try to do it in the other direction, I'm left with a few hundred titles and pretty much the entire RKO catalog.


I think the "total titles" swung to DVD's favor about a year or two ago. I'm honestly suprised that people would disagree.

Oh well, without a detailed list of all LDs released (which, unfortunately, does not exist online), this is impossible to prove. I just know from my own obsessive collecting of both formats over the past 2 decades that I find there are significantly more titles available on DVD. But that's just my opinion.
There is an ongoing attempt to catalogue, in detail, as many LD releases as possible. It's an interesting effort that you and others may find useful.

The Laserdisc Database

contributions in the form of release info or cover scans are welcomed by the site owner.

Currently the site lists over 35,000 LD titles
laserdogg is offline  
Old 01-20-04, 03:23 AM
  #23  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2
Laserdisc Database

Hello,

LDDB.com Admin here.

You must keep (like for DVD) a difference between the number of titles and the number or LDs released.

Some titles were released so many times (Star Wars, T2, etc.) that this is a big difference.

Regarding total number of available LDs wordwide, I have validated about 32.500 entries so far and my evaluation based on remaining lists would be around:

US NTSC -> About 16.000 LDs
Japan NTSC -> About 28.000 LDs
PAL -> About 12.000 LDs

I have no idea about HK releases (600 ?) or China release (mostly bootlegs) but a conservative 50.000 titles/LDs seems to be quite realistic.

Japan NTSC usually includes US titles (minus DiscoVision, they had VHD and other exotic formats for this).

PAL titles were often released in French, English, German and sometimes Spanish, Italien, Dutch, etc.

Very few PAL titles were not released in Japan. Few US titles were not released in Japan.

Anyway, if you'd like to join the Database and give us a hand, you're warmly welcomed!

Regards,
Julien
generikz is offline  
Old 01-20-04, 03:32 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 688
Re: Laserdisc Database

Originally posted by generikz
Hello,

LDDB.com Admin here.

You must keep (like for DVD) a difference between the number of titles and the number or LDs released.

Some titles were released so many times (Star Wars, T2, etc.) that this is a big difference.

Regarding total number of available LDs wordwide, I have validated about 32.500 entries so far and my evaluation based on remaining lists would be around:

US NTSC -> About 16.000 LDs
Japan NTSC -> About 28.000 LDs
PAL -> About 12.000 LDs

I have no idea about HK releases (600 ?) or China release (mostly bootlegs) but a conservative 50.000 titles/LDs seems to be quite realistic.

Japan NTSC usually includes US titles (minus DiscoVision, they had VHD and other exotic formats for this).

PAL titles were often released in French, English, German and sometimes Spanish, Italien, Dutch, etc.

Very few PAL titles were not released in Japan. Few US titles were not released in Japan.

Anyway, if you'd like to join the Database and give us a hand, you're warmly welcomed!

Regards,
Julien
Thanks for all the info!
I for one will check out your site at my first opportunity.
rushmore223 is offline  
Old 01-20-04, 05:45 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,240
Are we including porn in the mix, too?

Because porn on DVD has taken off bigtime, whereas I don't think it was that popular on LD.
Josh-da-man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.