DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341984-value-your-dvd-collection-worth-more-than-you-have-savings-investments.html)

Wannabe 01-18-04 06:41 PM

Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments?

I was flipping channels and caught Suze Orman talking about financial and personal responsibility. She made me wonder if some collectors have more invested in their DVDs than they have in their savings, 401k, stocks, bonds, etc.?

Moreover, I was wondering if anyone is going without health insurance but still managing to spend the equivalent on DVDs.

I read a lot about people feeding their DVD addictions, but no one seems to quantify what percentage of their income they spend on their habit.

Me, I only buy a DVD once every month or two on average...so less than 1 percent of my income goes to my tiny collection.

neiname 01-18-04 06:50 PM

I have about $400k saved and about $6k in my dvd collection.

DVD Josh 01-18-04 07:15 PM

What is it about Suze Orman that is so engrossing? I have no need or interest, but I'm like a deer in the headlights when I flip past her. :)

RevKarl 01-18-04 11:21 PM

No! I may be crazy, but I'm not insane!

ArchibaldTuttle 01-19-04 02:31 AM

hmm, let me think about that 40-50 DVDs compared to my college debt..... yeap

El-Kabong 01-19-04 03:10 AM

Well, depends on how you look at the cost of the DVD's. If you go strictly by MSRP, then I've got considerably more than I do in savings. But then really, who pays full price anymore? So going by how much my discs cost, then it's savings > DVDs.

Bacon 01-19-04 03:26 AM

about the same

louiseb 01-19-04 05:17 AM

not even close

way more in my retirement accounts

Me007gold 01-19-04 08:01 AM

DVD > savings

i need to learn how to manage my money better :(

garolo 01-19-04 08:14 AM

Well, maybe after I have to start shelling out for the kids education my dvd's will have more resale value than what's in my savings account. But right now it's about 400:1.

lisadoris 01-19-04 08:20 AM

I'm a grad student with no savings, tons of loans, and way more DVDs than I need. At this point, I consider my collection an investment.

MisterMidnite 01-19-04 08:23 AM

Saving is overrated and fascist

Yakuza Bengoshi 01-19-04 08:27 AM

I've got significantly more in my 401K than in DVDs, but my wife and I still owe $140K on education loans so overall we're way on the negative side.

RichDB10 01-19-04 08:42 AM

Originally posted by MisterMidnite
Saving is overrated and fascist
I wouldn't go as far as that..but i don't ever envisage myself as having a huge amount of savings...right now my DVD's going by MRSP are more than what i have saved in my personal bank account...but that doesn't worry me too much...i've had a steady income for the past 14 years, my mortgage has been getting paid every month for the past 8 years and i contribute to a company pension fund.
Life's too short....i'm not going to be saving vast sums and let life pass me by without at least enjoying the fruits of my labor.
That's not to say i don't save at all though.....i just don't have tens of thousands saved.

marty888 01-19-04 08:50 AM

Nope, savngs is ahead. Not by as much as it should be, but still ahead.

Boy, just imagine how much I'd have socked away if DVDs had ever been invented!

LasVegasMichael 01-19-04 08:51 AM

Although I have invested a decent amount in my 250is DVD collection, our savings far outweight it. We are purchasing a new house soon, so savings is priority.

--LVM

madcougar 01-19-04 10:23 AM

With my 401K recently rebounding nicely, it's about even. Then again, I don't have a ridiculous number of DVDs.

Beritolam 01-19-04 10:36 AM

Saving is more, but not by the amount it used to be (6 months out of work took a dent on the accounts), but my house is paid for so that helps. I'm working again so the savings is going to start growing again. I also do not include my DVD when I'm figuring my net worth, unlike some friends of mine. Before the hit that saving to DVD ratio was 100:1

HistoryProf 01-19-04 11:36 AM

Since I don't have any savings, i guess the dvd's are greater. but I spend $50-$100 a month, around a grand a year so I don't worry about it too much..it's my hobby.

gutwrencher 01-19-04 11:44 AM

I think that everything else and a savings should be taken care of, far above a dvd amount/investment. and at the risk of getting slapped around because I have to mention it again....I dont spend real $ on films/dvds. tips only. at least a hundie a week. all bills/taxes are paid. family is taken care of. it's all good. :thumbsup:

at 40 years of age, I better have my sh!t together...or it would be a long, hard road.

chente 01-19-04 11:51 AM

Savings/investments far outweigh the value of my DVD's

Pants 01-19-04 12:21 PM

Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments?
No

atari2600 01-19-04 12:35 PM

ok heres how i look at it...

people always can say "oh man if i never bought a dvd, id have so much money saved!" but they ONLY do this for stuff they do buy or spend money on. basically, it can never help you.

so im going to use that logic with smoking...which ive never done.

if i smoked it would have cost me probably 5 grand by now and id be like "damn, if i didnt smoke, id have 5000 more dollars".

but guess what! i dont smoke! so im up 5 grand! yes!!

that helps me justify buying a few dvds here and there :)

fnordboy 01-19-04 12:50 PM

Originally posted by atari2600
if i smoked it would have cost me probably 5 grand by now and id be like "damn, if i didnt smoke, id have 5000 more dollars".

but guess what! i dont smoke! so im up 5 grand! yes!!

that helps me justify buying a few dvds here and there :)

:( I smoke and buy DVDs :( Damn!. ;)

DVDs far outweigh my savings. I am not too far in debt, and hope to get out of it in the near future, but as far as savings go it is non existent.

mookiemeister 01-19-04 01:01 PM

I have about $10k worth of DVDs. When I need money, I just ask my parents. So I'm covered for now. Not sure what I would do after they are gone.