DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/341984-value-your-dvd-collection-worth-more-than-you-have-savings-investments.html)

Max Bottomtime 01-20-04 11:26 PM

$17,000 in a 401K, $50,000 in debt and $6,500 in DVDs...but I don't drink, smoke. do drugs and I drive a POS pickup, so I don't feel guilty about my DVDs.

mljones99 01-20-04 11:47 PM

I'm a college student so I have no savings, especially now after tuition and books are paid. So DVDs > Savings for right now.

SlangNRocks 01-21-04 12:08 AM

The thing that limits my dvd purchasing is having space to store them all. It takes a lot less space to have money in the bank etc since someone else is taking of it for you.

If I count my college debt then its about even. My savings/investments is just over my student loan debt so I'd say they are worth about the same.

I'm still waiting for someone to come here saying they have all their money tied up in 100 copies of Salo criterion as an investment so their dvd collection and investments are one and the same.

boston george 01-21-04 05:53 AM

Re: Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments?

Originally posted by Wannabe
I was flipping channels and caught Suze Orman talking about financial and personal responsibility. She made me wonder if some collectors have more invested in their DVDs than they have in their savings, 401k, stocks, bonds, etc.?

Moreover, I was wondering if anyone is going without health insurance but still managing to spend the equivalent on DVDs.

I read a lot about people feeding their DVD addictions, but no one seems to quantify what percentage of their income they spend on their habit.

Me, I only buy a DVD once every month or two on average...so less than 1 percent of my income goes to my tiny collection.

Many times over. I have know savings or health insurance, but I have a DVD collection that is insured for $20,000. I'm stupid.

eedoon 01-22-04 02:07 AM

Is the value of your DVD collection worth more than you have in savings/investments?
Sadly, yes.

SilverScreen 01-22-04 08:43 AM

My DVD collection is approximately 5% of my net worth. If I were to compare them to liquid assets, the ratios would be about 8 to 1 (liquid assets to the value of my DVD collection).

Veej 01-22-04 09:39 AM

$200,000.00 CDN equity in the house
$25, 000.00 in various savings accounts(Children's education, Retirement)

Everything in the house is paid for, so no credit card debt.

-$8000 Student loans

50 DVDs so thats like 1500.00.

I inherited 35K between 3 brothers when my dad died 10 years ago and thats all, no house, no furniture nothing else.

Everyone in the house takes a vacation once a year or so, we live nicely.

I think DVDs are a luxury item no way its in the neccesity chain and I only buy once in a blue moon. Since most of the movies can only be watched once in a while.

I do have a elaborate HT set up with a 50 inch TV, XGA LCD projector, and 5.1 system.

I rent most of the movies just the ones I really really really like I buy and better be on a good deal.

Just picked up Back to the Future Triology ( yes after its been out for almost 2 years) for 35.00 CDN.

atari2600 01-22-04 05:16 PM

BTTF trilogy has been out for 2 years?

slop101 01-22-04 05:58 PM

8K in dvds
5K cash - savings
but...
50K in stocks
300K equity in my house
ZERO debt (except for about 100K left in mortgage payments - even my cars are paid off)

I was hoping it would look worse, so I'd have an excuse to cut back on the dvds, but it looks like I can keep buying...

island007 01-22-04 06:25 PM

No, I just use what my wife and I consider "blow" money.
We both get $200 a week ($400 total) to blow anyway we want and it is a little more than half a day's wage. It is all relative.

nazz 01-22-04 09:03 PM

Savings / investments > DVDS

DVD collection = about 9K

LarryE 01-22-04 10:09 PM

DVD's = 3000
Investments, equity in house = 240,000

ChrisHicks 01-22-04 10:18 PM

according to Profiler my collection is $35,216.24.

edit: someone on another forum pointed out about watching for titles with a $0.00 price. in checking I have found quite a few like this. in adding the pricing my total so far has jumped to $36,047.84

holy crap!!!

I wonder what that total would be if I included all my LDs and VHS tapes?

Wannabe 05-30-04 08:19 PM

Thought I might resurrect this thread as a companion piece to this one: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=367036

ukywyldcat 05-30-04 09:00 PM

2 rental condos valued at 1.2 Million - 25% of which is our equity
55K in savings bonds
Private Stock - Street Value - ? Monthly Dividend: $6000
Free apartment compliments of the company my wife works for.
1st Car Paid Off: Todays value: $25,000

Debt Load (Student Loans, Credit Cards, 2nd Car Payment: $75,000)

DVD collection value: approx $4000
2 Plasma TVs value: $9000

I'm 33 my wife is 30.

Originally posted by MisterMidnite
Saving is overrated and fascist
Unless you are saving from an inheritance or some other bonus money, trying to save from a paycheck is a worthless venture. I don't care if you make $20K per year or $200K per year...you will end up spending the money one way or another trying to have a better lifestyle than you can afford.

Buying real estate is the way to go. Personally, I hate bonds, stocks, etc.

Walk into any bank in America and try to buy a $500K of stocks with $5K down...they laugh in your face.

Walk into any bank in America and try to buy a $500K piece of real estate with $5K down, provided your credit is worthy, you get the loan.

There is a lot to say about that.

I don't agree that saving is fascist...but fruitless, stupid, and overrated, I would likely agree.

drmoze 05-30-04 09:17 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
I'm a grad student with no savings, tons of loans, and way more DVDs than I need. At this point, I consider my collection an investment.
How so? Do you have lots of unopened OOP/Crits? Or??? (Check the definition of 'investment' to understand why a general dvd collection is in no way an 'investment.')

Brian Shannon 05-30-04 09:35 PM

No.

Not even close by any stretch of the imagination.

speedyray 05-30-04 10:22 PM

You also have to consider age on this question. Since I am still paying off college debt and finishing a second degree, my DVD collection kills my savings, ask me in about three years and it should be the opposite.

The Infidel 05-30-04 10:35 PM

I'm afraid I am not familiar with this term of which you speak:

"sa.....vings?"

A-HA....I looked it up.

"Savings: something you do with your money other than buy movies." Huh.

And this is weird...my dictionary has a little drawing next to the word that looks like me turning my empty pockets inside-out, and there's a look of despair which looms heavily on my face.

Now I'm depressed. I think I'll watch a movie.

GMLSKIS 05-30-04 10:55 PM

$369,000 in Savings
House paid for and worth about $225,000
About 300 DVD's at about $2,400 spent

gotwavego 05-31-04 12:08 AM

I echo the statement on buying Real Estate....

0 Debt + Real estate + Cash + stocks > amount spent on DVDS

-go

LuisL 05-31-04 04:52 AM

1 dvd is more than i have in my savings. but at least i know if i'm in a real bind i can sell my dvd's. sad but true.