Question Regarding Region-Free Alias DVDs

Old 01-17-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question Regarding Region-Free Alias DVDs

I've noticed that there are a lot of region-free "Alias" DVDs up on EBay. They all look like they come from Asia as some have Korean or Chinese characters on them. I was wondering if anyone has gotten these and if they do indeed work on R1 players.

They look like these:
Old 01-17-04, 10:23 PM

Don't waste your money. They are probably bootlegs.
Old 01-17-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yup.

Invest in a Costco card. It might be $35-45, but it's the membership that keeps on giving. Just ask any owners of the Alien Quadrilogy or Indiana Jones Trilogy..

Or, hell, just ask Blade..
Old 01-18-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, thanks. I was leaning towards not getting them this way already, but now I won't for sure.
Old 01-18-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not buying them or anything, but they look a little better than I would've expected.
Old 01-18-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, it's amazing what bootleggers can do nowadays..

If only some of the studios had the same creativity..
Old 01-18-04, 03:53 AM

wish ebay would start cracking down on these people. makes me sick. Ebay keeps jacking the listing fees up, bootlegers come out of the woodwork. LOL
Old 01-18-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by kthemmes
wish ebay would start cracking down on these people. makes me sick. Ebay keeps jacking the listing fees up, bootlegers come out of the woodwork. LOL
I hear that. To be honest though, I, personally, have no problem with someone buying something that's unreleased [i've picked up some "trilogies" on there], but I have no tolerance for the bootleggers that try to pawn a boot off as an official release.

A couple months ago, I put up an extra copy of the Little Mermaid that I had [bought during a Disney Store sale]. I got SO MANY emails asking me if it was the "Platinum Edition". I had a form letter telling these people there was NO platinum edition of the Little Mermaid.

And when I put up my old crappy copy of Scarface for auction, all the emails wanted to know if it had an insert... [And this was before it was en vogue to ask "Does it come with an Insert??]