Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any word on the timetable for all the ST: Voyager sets to be released?

Old 01-17-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I know Season 1 is next month, with Season 2 supposedly in May 2004. I've looked on TrekWeb and other sites, but can't find anything? Anyone? Thanks.
Old 01-25-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
anybody?
Old 01-25-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TNG and DS9 sets each came out every other month, accelerating at the end to be sure and be released in the same calendar year. That seems like the most likely scenario, again.
Old 01-26-04, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
In the past, the time-line has been

S1: Feb/Mar
S2: Apr/May
S3: June/July
S4: Aug/Sept
S5: Oct/Nov
S6: Nov/Dec
S7: Dec

TNG tended came out later than DS9, and they got a little crowded toward the end, so I suspect Voyager will be closer to the DS9 model.

Has there been any official word on the rerelease of the Original Series in season sets?
Old 01-26-04, 10:17 AM

The only official word has been those magazine ads from Paramount that said TOS season sets were coming (along with Voyager) in 2004.
Old 01-26-04, 04:33 PM

Season 1: Feb 24
Season 2: May 18
Season 3: July 6
Season 4: Aug 3
but that's as far as I can really go at this time.
Old 03-14-04, 09:27 AM

Is there any updated news on these dates...or on the remaining seasons?
Old 03-14-04, 01:05 PM

Martin,

Is there any particular reason why nothing has been set firm beyond Season 4? Is Paramount not committed to putting out the entire series? Are they waiting to see how sales do for the first four seasons first. I can tell that will infuriate the fans like me who will have spent hard-earned money on the first four seasons, only to not be able to complete the collection.

Also charging the same amount of money for Season 1, a substantially abbreviated season, is really unfair and uncalled for. So if they're going to do that, Paramount certainly owes it to the fans they robbed with Season One to actually put out the entire series.
Old 03-14-04, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martin,

Thanks for your input.

But please tell us that all the Voyager seasons will be eventually released. . .

I am a HUGE fan who will buy EVERY season of every Star Trek show!!! I would be very disappointed if all the Voyager sets were not released.

Also, for what it's worth, I am also looking forward to the Original Trek season sets and (HOPEFULLY) the Animated Series as well. Trust me - I bought the laserdiscs of the Animated Series just so I could have them. I would buy those on DVD immediately.

Even if you do not have release dates, is there any way you can let us know if Paramount intends on releasing all the Voyager seasons??

Thanks!!

Zack
Old 03-14-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Another vote for the Animated Series! I think if you released it when you released TOS in season boxes you'd do pretty well with it.

thanks
Old 03-14-04, 03:40 PM

Also charging the same amount of money for Season 1, a substantially abbreviated season, is really unfair and uncalled for. So if they're going to do that, Paramount certainly owes it to the fans they robbed with Season One to actually put out the entire series
Speaking to My Blythe in that manner, especially the mentioning of "robbing", I believe will not encourage him to reply with more info. I suggest you change your tone.
Old 03-15-04, 07:51 AM

Another vote for TOS sets, TAS, and the rest of Voyager. Not to mention ENT and the TNG movie SE's.
Old 03-15-04, 08:27 AM
SvenL

Is Paramount not committed to putting out the entire series? Are they waiting to see how sales do for the first four seasons first.
Of course that's the reason.

The group of Star Trek fans who are willing to pay that much for the box sets isn't that big and most Star Trek fans despise Voyager.

They have to sell a certain number of sets before they get profitable and there's no way they'll sell enough of Voyager - even starting to put this crap on DVD seems like a financially unwise decision.

I've been a Star Trek fan all my life and I wouldn't get a Voyager boxset even if they gave me money to take it.

Old 03-15-04, 10:10 AM

Dragonslayer,

The truth hurts. I know numerous fans who are completely outraged at the price Paramount is charging for the Season Sets in the first place. I, for one, have no problem with the pricing, especially considering what HBO is charging for their substantially reduced fare. But charging the same price for an abbreviated season is, as I said before, "unfair and uncalled for," and amounts to, as I also said before, robbery.

If people cannot relate their concerns, as well as their praise, to people who are actually in a position to either do something about it, or at least bring it up to people who can, then what good is it anyway.

And what I said was true, they owe it to the fans who are willing to pay for the first four seasons to put out the entire series.
Old 03-15-04, 10:13 AM

Also, if fans feel like they are being robbed by studio policies and pricing (and I am most certainly not the only one to voice that concern in these forums, then I think the studio should know that.
Old 03-15-04, 10:22 AM

There are still many of us who enjoy the show and would like the entire run on DVD. No one is forcing anyone to buy them. I just am wondering why the dates are not set well in advance like they were for the previous series.
Old 03-15-04, 11:26 AM

Admiral7, Mr Blythe or other Studio reps are not required to post in this Forum or any other. They usually do so out of the kindness of their heart. There are more polite & effective ways of addressing your concerns to them than the way you did. As I said before, mudslinging is unlikely to encourage further posting & then we all are deprived of the info they provide.
Old 03-15-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be very surprised if they didn't release all the seasons of Voyager. The Paramount ads show pictures of the entire set, so it's very likely they will all be released. I simply think after the bulk of TNG and DS9 disc production, they're pushed to get Voyager produced, which is probably whey they aren't setting all future release dates at this time. Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series and I look forward to having them all on my shelf.
Old 03-15-04, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Admiral7
Martin,

Is there any particular reason why nothing has been set firm beyond Season 4? Is Paramount not committed to putting out the entire series? Are they waiting to see how sales do for the first four seasons first. I can tell that will infuriate the fans like me who will have spent hard-earned money on the first four seasons, only to not be able to complete the collection.

Also charging the same amount of money for Season 1, a substantially abbreviated season, is really unfair and uncalled for. So if they're going to do that, Paramount certainly owes it to the fans they robbed with Season One to actually put out the entire series.
Maybe not a great help, but according to play.com ALL seasons will be released on R2:

S1: May 3
S2: July 5
S3: September 6
S4: November 1
S5: January 3, 2005
S6: March 7, 2005
S7: May 2, 2005
Old 03-15-04, 03:23 PM

Dragonslayer,

You must be a transplant or moonlighter from HTF, where they love to worship at the feet of any studio exec who comes into these threads and gives basically NO information whatsoever. If they're coming in here and can't answer legitimate questions, I don't care whether they're in here or not.
Old 03-15-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Dragonslayer is arguing that people shouldn't voice concerns or criticisms about Paramount's handling of their material... what I interpreted his post as (and I agree) is that it's much more effective to be polite and courteous in your comments, however critical they may be, than to get all up in arms and use an angry tone. "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" holds true for posting on web forums as much as for talking to someone in person.

Personally, I think it would have been nicer to have had Voyager Season 1's price a bit lower than the later seasons, on account of the fewer episodes (from a marketing point of view, it would seem a great way to "hook" people as well, but that's just a theory). However, for whatever reason, Paramount decided to use a consistent price. I don't have a problem with that - if a particular consumer doesn't want to pay that price, he doesn't have to buy it. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

As for the overall pricing - yeah, it seems a bit high, but TNG and DS9 must have sold well enough to justify those prices. At least we're getting a quality product for the price - the transfers have been outstanding and the special features have been pretty solid as well.

My guess is that the lack of firm dates for the later Voyager seasons has more to do with scheduling (which can be hard to do far in advance) than with the issue of whether or not they're actually going to be released. Personally, I definitely hope that the later seasons are released, and that the original series sets come out as well - I'm looking forward to seeing them.
Old 03-15-04, 06:36 PM

Thanks Holly E. Ordway! I have some issues with the way Paramount packaged the set & with the way it is presented. The cost cutting is painfully obvious. But I'm seeking the sets from an alternate source than regular retail to help with the cost issue. And I'm not in Paramount's face with my unhappiness.
Old 03-15-04, 06:49 PM

Well, I'd rather let Paramount know directly. And obviously this is one way to do that. The real problem comes in, not when someone is direct or even critical of Paramount (in the form of a question, I might add). The person may or may not get offended. The problem is when people who were not addressed in the post take it upon themselves to speak for the person to whom the post was directed. Maybe Mr. Blythe had every intention of answering my questions. Maybe he planned to give an explanation for the too-high price for Season One. Maybe he wanted to explain exactly why there were no further release dates for Voyager the way there were for the previous series sets. But someone suggested he MIGHT NOT ANSWER SINCE I WAS SOOOOOO MEAN. And as we see, he hasn't. Maybe that's why and maybe it isn't, since Martin has a penchant for dropping bombs that demand questions and then running off without answering them. This certainly isn't the first time.
Old 03-15-04, 08:07 PM

Well, I'd rather let Paramount know directly. And obviously this is one way to do that. The real problem comes in, not when someone is direct or even critical of Paramount (in the form of a question, I might add). The person may or may not get offended. The problem is when people who were not addressed in the post take it upon themselves to speak for the person to whom the post was directed. Maybe Mr. Blythe had every intention of answering my questions. Maybe he planned to give an explanation for the too-high price for Season One. Maybe he wanted to explain exactly why there were no further release dates for Voyager the way there were for the previous series sets. But someone suggested he MIGHT NOT ANSWER SINCE I WAS SOOOOOO MEAN. And as we see, he hasn't. Maybe that's why and maybe it isn't, since Martin has a penchant for dropping bombs that demand questions and then running off without answering them. This certainly isn't the first time.
I'm not speaking for Mr Blythe by any means. I'm suggesting that the way you are attempting to communicate with him will IMHO not result in an answer.
Old 03-16-04, 10:37 AM

Well, since I was talking to Mr. Blythe and NOT you, I find your opinion far from humble and your interference unproductive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.