Criterion Rules of the Game packaging

Old 01-16-04, 05:31 PM
Banned

Criterion Rules of the Game packaging

Got an early copy of this one and was surprised to discover Criterion has gone the Digipak route. Set comes in a clear plastic blue slipcover. Inside, it's a foldout cardboard package, much like the Warner Special Edition 2-disc sets, with a pocket for a booklet.

It's a nice-looking package, but I wonder if they are going to use these on all their 2-disc sets from now on. Kinda liked the uniform looking of my Criterions in keepcases (with the exception of the occasional release, like the Antoine Doinel set, which is great).
Old 01-16-04, 06:16 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I'm glad they atleast attempted something different with Rules. This is, by far, their most important release. But its a shame that they had to do digipaks. I may have to look for a custom case after all.

Praytell, how good is the print/transfer, compared to other films from the 30s?
Old 01-16-04, 06:34 PM

This is my most-anticipated release EVER, so I'm really looking forward to its arrival next week. I'm also surprised Criterion used a Digipak for this release--I don't have anything against this type of packaging, but it doesn't seem the best choice to house a 24-page booklet.

I doubt this represents a trend. Criterion's designers are encouraged to be as creative with the packaging as the producers are with the disc contents, so I suspect this was mostly a design decision. I would hate for them to adopt any sort of uniformity in the collection--I'd rather they make a packaging decision on a disc-by-disc basis, and continue to let their imaginations run wild.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 01-16-04 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 06:45 PM

This is my most-anticipated release EVER, so I'm really looking forward to its arrival next week. I'm also surprised Criterion used a Digipak for this release--I don't have anything against this type of packaging, but it doesn't seem the best choice to house a 24-page booklet.
Old 01-17-04, 12:31 AM

Could you please post a picture of the set?
Old 01-17-04, 01:13 AM
Banned

I took the pics with my web-cam, so the quality isn't that great. Thanks to Tristan for hosting the pics.

Old 01-17-04, 11:35 AM

That's actually better than I had imagined it looking! I am quite impressed. On first look though, I think I like FALILV case and design a bit more. Very nice!

Matt
Old 01-17-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

indeed...with the protective plastic cover It looks very stylish! Much like the Euro editions
Old 01-17-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have to say i like it......just hope the plastic is a bit sturdier than what BU decided to use for their Mondo Cane set.
Old 01-17-04, 07:26 PM

No sheets????
Old 01-17-04, 07:28 PM
Banned

Wow, that is beautiful. I must have it!
Old 01-17-04, 09:35 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My copy just shipped from Amazon. Whee!
Old 01-17-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm glad Criterion is taking the extra step for packaging...hopefully, this trend will continue.
Old 01-17-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the digipak with the plastic slip cover to protect it. Wish Warner would do that.
Old 01-17-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by issues
No sheets????
No Sheets = No Sale
Old 01-17-04, 11:22 PM

The first review of Criterion's The Rules of the Game has been posted by DVD Talk's own Glenn Erickson (DVD Savant). Looks like Criterion did its usual bang-up job ... [big sigh of relief]
Old 01-23-04, 12:40 PM

I just received my copy and it has this slight bend to it, if you lay it flat on the table the top of the case is more left than the bottom and so its more of a rhombus than a rectangle.

Has anyone had a similar issue with theirs? Or is this a result of the poor packing job by amazon.

I am wondering if I open it and take slipcover off, if I could apply some pressure to it and straighten it out or if I should just exchange it with amazon.
Old 01-23-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My slipcover is straight, but when I opened it I noticed the booklet wasn't pushed into the side flap all the way, and the bottom third got folded along with the case. It's nothing major, but I was a little bummed.
Old 01-23-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this pretty much like the "Fear and Loathing" packaging?

Criterion's packaging has gotten quite inconsistent lately (I'm not knocking it!). The first "digipack" sorta thing I got was the Monterey Pop set, and then I believe it was "Fear and Loathing" with the plastic shell. Then, there was another digipak sorta packaging for the Fassbinder BRD Trilogy, before they reverted back to the "old-school" boxset style of the Bergman Trilogy...

The only consistency is how much I like all of 'em!
Old 01-23-04, 06:26 PM

It doesn't look bad to me. I'd really prefer they use the slim keep cases like they used for Down by Law and Armageddon (I think; haven't watched that crap in a long time). But digipak is better than those thick keep cases which require way too much flexing of the disc to get it out.

My question is: since Criterion's always have security stickers, where is the sticker on this one? I hope it isn't on the cardboard back or, worse, behind the plastic housing blocking art work. On the housing or blue slip cover would be ok.
Old 01-23-04, 06:41 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
Is this pretty much like the "Fear and Loathing" packaging?

'F & L' had a transparent cover over a regular case essentially. 'Rules' has a similar cover over a fold-out card-board case.

My question is: since Criterion's always have security stickers, where is the sticker on this one?
Mine has it on the inside center and is unobtrusive.

Last edited by MrN; 01-24-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 07:34 PM

Looks great. Feels substantial. No complaints here.
Old 01-23-04, 09:02 PM

Thanks MrN! But bad news for those of us that like to remove those tags.
Old 01-24-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just picked up mine today. Another great packaging job by Criterion.... so the best surprise is that there's no surprise
Old 01-24-04, 02:08 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
No bends in mine. I'm really not crazy about digipak cases (those brittle inner hubs are pretty easily broken and you can't just change out the case) and it's wider than the other criterions so it sticks out on the shelf, but it's really nice. I think it's one of their best designs yet. Very beautiful and elegant.

I didn't know this one was such a big release for Criterion, as it's an old and obscure (to most DVD buyers) film. But evidently sales are very very good on this title. I'm happy that it's doing so well.

Another terrific set from Criterion.

P.S. The Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set was also a set of slim digipak cases.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.