Lost In Space DVD Set...Missing Scene?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the 8 disc Lost In Space set yesterday and watched the 1st episode: The Reluctant Stowaway. Great episode and nice clear crisp image. Too bad they didnt include any animated menus or music to the menu screen. Oh well...

One thing though...I remember another piece of footage with June Lockhart that seems to be missing. After the Robinsons are awakened from their chambers and Maureen falls to the floor. John and Dr.Smith rushes to her to revive her and then the scene cuts to a commerical.

I believe there was additional footage after the commerical with John questioning Dr.Smith as to why he is on the ship and another piece of footage showing Dr.Smith using the same medical techiques that he used on Don earlier to reviev him.

Im sure that I seen it before on syndication as even John & Dr.Smith mentions some sort of a conversation.

Anyone else remember this scene?
Old 01-16-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's compare...

I've compared both the Columbia House episode on tape and the FOX episode on DVD. There isn't any difference in the content. The picture of course is much more crisp and the audio is sharper - almost shrill at times. I'm wondering if FOX did any restoration. Anyone know?
Old 01-16-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Let's compare...

Originally posted by Duality I've compared both the Columbia House episode on tape and the FOX episode on DVD. There isn't any difference in the content. The picture of course is much more crisp and the audio is sharper - almost shrill at times. I'm wondering if FOX did any restoration. Anyone know?
(emphasis mine)

Well that's great news! I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my set...hopefully today.
Old 01-16-04, 05:22 PM

Re: Lost In Space DVD Set...Missing Scene?

Originally posted by StrTrkker
One thing though...I remember another piece of footage with June Lockhart that seems to be missing. After the Robinsons are awakened from their chambers and Maureen falls to the floor. John and Dr.Smith rushes to her to revive her and then the scene cuts to a commerical.

I believe there was additional footage after the commerical with John questioning Dr.Smith as to why he is on the ship and another piece of footage showing Dr.Smith using the same medical techiques that he used on Don earlier to reviev him.

Im sure that I seen it before on syndication as even John & Dr.Smith mentions some sort of a conversation.

Anyone else remember this scene?

I vaguely recall such a scene, but that could be memory playing trick on an old man. It certainly LOOKS like something might have been cut. But it's not worth getting upset over.

Fox did no new restoration for the DVDs, but instead used a master made about 8 years ago for the most recent VHS releases. I think it was a wise savings in money; these are just fine the way they are.
Old 01-17-04, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: Lost In Space DVD Set...Missing Scene?

Originally posted by Nierfacon
I vaguely recall such a scene, but that could be memory playing trick on an old man. It certainly LOOKS like something might have been cut. But it's not worth getting upset over.

Fox did no new restoration for the DVDs, but instead used a master made about 8 years ago for the most recent VHS releases. I think it was a wise savings in money; these are just fine the way they are.
Well..its not a matter of being upset just pointing out that this scene is missing as well as others...

Heres another...

I just finished watching episode #15 Return From Outer Space and there does seem to a missing scene that Im sure I seen before.

Will goes into the general store and trys to make a phone call and takes the bottle of Carbon Tetrochloride and runs out (35:33 into the episode) the next scene is where the sheriff is questioning Will outside. I kinda remember that Will bumps into the sheriff outside and thats how hes caught. This scene seems to be have cut from the DVD set.

The missing scene is posted here...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LostinSpace/message/9602
Old 01-17-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Hmmm.... I wonder. I recall Will bumping into the sheriff also. On the flipside, for many of us who've only watched it on TV and cable, we may find scenes that we HAVEN'T seen before (or haven't seen in a long time). These episodes run about 50 minutes or so, but I'm sure they were cut to fit in more commercials.

In episode #2, I don't remember the scene during John's spacewalk where he actually repairs the scanner. (but that could be my faulty memory)