View Poll Results: Your action?
Bring me another one! It must be perfect!
58.41%
I'll just take it, I can live with it.
20.35%
I don't shop DVDs in stores.
21.24%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

When purchasing DVDs...

Old 01-13-04, 09:50 PM

When purchasing DVDs...

You walked into a store and found your specific dvd. You got the dvd on left hand and money on the right. Before any permanent exchange happen you check the dvd.
Do you ever reject ones with very tiny or unnoticeable scratch and ask for another copy?

Last edited by Apone; 01-13-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotta be just right!
Old 01-13-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm gonna say...no shop in stores. except for just a few new releases...I'm goin' more and more with on-line satisfaction. I do look them over when in a store and will usually seek an undamaged copy. if it's minor when shopping on-line, I usually keep it. it really all depends on the damage. I'm much more concerned with the disc itself.
Old 01-13-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm a cheap-skate. I don't shop in B&M's unless I have a coupon or GC.
Old 01-13-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't matter to me, as long as the movie plays fine.
Old 01-13-04, 11:35 PM

Seems like everyone I know too buy from online shops. The only question is are they reliable?

All the shops in New Zealand they open the case and place the DVDs in their storage room under poor care. I mean workers wouldn't give a shit expect their worries of DVDs getting stolen from the case.

Anyway are those big online shops like Amazon reliable? Won't have scratches etc?

Thanks, as for me I would want to demand another copy but I usually don't have the guts to stand up for tiny scratch. Big scratch I would throw it right back.
Old 01-14-04, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only go in for a new release, everything else is from on-line. When I do go in, I'll give it a small shake. As long as the disc isn't bouncin' around in there, I take it.

The looks I get are rather funny. When I went in to get Underworld another guy grabbed a copy just as I did. And we both did the shake. I looked at him and asked "DVDTalk?" and he gave me a thumbs up.
Old 01-14-04, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the mail, I take what I get (even if a DVD is loose inside, I'll open and check it out first for any problems). In the store, I'm picky about which copy I buy....but I'm even worse with books and magazines!
Old 01-14-04, 05:46 AM
Banned

I make sure it doesnt have dents or what not and give it a bit of a shake to make sure the discs and secure...
Old 01-14-04, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always shake 'em and won't buy a clearly damaged disc, but minor imperfections on the package don't really bother me.
Old 01-14-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on how much of a hassle it would be to go back and pick up another disk.

As for shopping B&M, I don't mind if I'm shopping for a box set, or a major new release, as the prices are pretty mucht he same everywhere. The only thing I buy only online is anime.
Old 01-14-04, 07:21 AM
Banned

I shop mainly in stores and want my purchases to be perfect.
Old 01-14-04, 07:56 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

never really notice. it's there's a big gash or something, I suppose, but creases on the edge or something? no. I rarely buy in store, only must have new releases.

figure no point, they're going to get shoved on a shelf with hundreds of other dvds i dont watch.
Old 01-14-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrobinson
never really notice. it's there's a big gash or something, I suppose, but creases on the edge or something? no. I rarely buy in store, only must have new releases.

figure no point, they're going to get shoved on a shelf with hundreds of other dvds i dont watch.
Pretty much agree with this 100%.
Old 01-14-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pass on floaters, or noticiably damaged packaging in a B&M. Minor bruises on a dvd case are no big deal.

Most of my purchases are on line, and I've probably received about 20 floaters in the mail over the years - amazingly, not one of those discs was damaged or scruffed up, and all played perfectly.
Old 01-14-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It must be perfect!!!
Old 01-14-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the scratch is very small, then I'll take it. Otherwise, I need a perfect one.
Old 01-14-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty anal when it comes to my dvd's. I need the packaging to be in pristine condition with no scratches or dents, and if there are floaters I will bring it right back to the store. I almost always open my dvd's out in my car when I buy at a B&M so that I don't get all the way home and find out there is something wrong with the disc, then have to drive all the way back. More and more I find myself purchasing online to prevent this from happening, and I haven't had any problems as of yet.
Old 01-14-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as the disc plays fine...
Old 01-14-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am pretty much the same as gut in that I do almost all my buying online (and will accept light box damage when purchased this way), but when in store, I will try to get one that is undamaged... I really hate the strapped on security devices on the cardboard boxsets... those things dig into the case something fierce... I am not satisfied taking a DVD set that has been damaged by one of those.
Old 01-14-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I'm pretty anal when it comes to my dvd's. I need the packaging to be in pristine condition with no scratches or dents, and if there are floaters I will bring it right back to the store.
Preach on PalmerJoss, couldnt agree more.
Old 01-14-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only little thing I was perturbed about was my Month Python set I received from Deep Discount DVD. The outer box was slightly crunched on its edges and disc 8 has a slash on the spine cutting the plastic.

At Best Buy I was going to pick up CSI 1st season, but when I looked at the back, some a-hole ripped thru the plastic and tore the yellow Police Line strip!
Old 01-14-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why would I pay for something that has scratches in it. Small or not.
Old 01-14-04, 12:26 PM

Location: noun. a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Gots to be pristine!! Well... not all the time. If it's one of the new releases, I know I can be a little more picky (as far as scratches or blemishes on the keepcase go) since they'll probably have lots of copies readily available. If it's the lasy copy of something and it's on sale (or at a reasonably good price), prolly just take it. Unless, of course, there's a big friggin gash on the cover. I've been fortunate so far that the disc itself's never been scratched.
Old 01-14-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am extremely picky,i make sure the spine is lined up as close to perfect as possible and everything.Yeah i know.....i'm a freak.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.