Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question: Any News on Altman's Short Cuts?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main question:
This is one of the few movies I have left that I really, really want to pick up that doesn't seem to have at least a rumor circulating...

Secondary question:
I see there's a Region 2 version, but I don't have a multi-region playe (though I understand it isn't hard making my DVD-Rom player multi-region). Is it worth trying this to be able to view the R2 version or should I just wait? Anyone own the R2 version?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-04, 10:27 AM
Banned

No news here.
Old 01-13-04, 11:22 AM

I remember reading an article way back in 1998 where someone from New Line mentioned that this was one of the titles in their pipeline. They've been strangely silent about it since then, unfortunately.
Old 01-13-04, 12:00 PM

It is rather amazing that with all the Altman titles making it to DVD that SHORT CUTS isn't one of them.

I mean IMAGES is on DVD. That never even was released on VHS.
Old 01-13-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm...

. . . . . .
Old 01-13-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mean IMAGES is on DVD. That never even was released on VHS.
That was actually quite a coup. It had never been released on VHS because nobody owned the music rights to get it released on VHS (the same is true of 'California Split', 'Jazz '34', 'H.E.A.L.T.H.', and either '3 Women' or 'A Wedding' [I forget which]), and in recent years, Altman himself said numerous times that he didn't think there was a surviving print of 'Images' anywhere in the world.

Hendrik, I don't see how your post was supposed to help, since the guy specifically said "I know there's a R2 but I don't know if it's any good." Still, well spotted. You found a picture of the exact disc he mentioned and managed to condescend to him despite the fact that he already knew about it and you didn't answer his one simple question about it.

I'm hoping 'Short Cuts' will be released by Criterion this year, since it's been heavily rumored (if not said outright) that Criterion will release one or more Altmans this year ('3 Women' is the hot rumor, but 'Short Cuts' and 'Secret Honor' would both make sense as they were both released as Criterion LDs, and neither has a DVD yet).
Old 01-13-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF is up with short cuts is a question I ask myself often.

New line should pay attention to the better films in their catalog, considering how well the transfers & sound mixes turn out on their dvds.

Short Cuts is a prime candidate for 2 or 3 disc platinum edition.
Old 01-14-04, 07:17 AM

ThatGuamGuy, thanks for the info re: Criterion. Almost two years ago I sent in one of their request forms online and included that and Ikiru. Halfway there now.

As to the R2 disc, that's one of two covers I've found (it seems there's a German pressing and a Spanish pressing). I recently got back from Israel and was looking through their R2 bins but didn't see either version. If I had I would've gambled on the purchase and tried to get a multi-region crack for my computer. Hendrik, do you have this disc or just the link to the image? If you have the disc, erm, can you describe the quality or features? Are subtitles burned in, etc? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhh, yeah... lot's of us out here don't have multi-region players and have no interest in investing in one, nor in out-of-region disks for that matter. I have to admit to being a little annoyed whenever I see a thread here where someone asks a perfectly legitimate question about whether some film may be released in R1 only to get some off-putting elitist response like "duhhhh... that DVD is already out in Region 2."

Such a response doesn't answer the question at hand and also seems to imply that because some of us aren't really interested in going multi-regional, we're some kind of DVD half-wits.
Old 01-14-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer for the region 1 DVD so I went & bought the Spanish R2 DVD and it looks very nice.

I really want more Altman on DVD, especially Thieves Like Us, California Split, Brewster McCloud, A Wedding, Streamers and That Cold Day in the Park.

And I can't wait for the Criterion 3 Women!
Old 01-14-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy

Hendrik, I don't see how your post was supposed to help, since the guy specifically said "I know there's a R2 but I don't know if it's any good." Still, well spotted. You found a picture of the exact disc he mentioned and managed to condescend to him despite the fact that he already knew about it and you didn't answer his one simple question about it.
...erm... how do you know the picture I linked to is "the exact disc he mentioned" and that he "already knew about it"...?... as a matter of fact, there is a German DVD as well of this movie, BUT it only has a dubbed-into-German soundtrack... and, yes, the Spanish subs on the Spanish disc are optional...

SHEESH!!!

. . . . . .
Old 01-14-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sex Fiend
Uhh, yeah... lot's of us out here don't have multi-region players and have no interest in investing in one, nor in out-of-region disks for that matter. I have to admit to being a little annoyed whenever I see a thread here where someone asks a perfectly legitimate question about whether some film may be released in R1 only to get some off-putting elitist response like "duhhhh... that DVD is already out in Region 2."

Such a response doesn't answer the question at hand and also seems to imply that because some of us aren't really interested in going multi-regional, we're some kind of DVD half-wits.
..."off-putting elitist response"...?...

...and what about "...that DVD is already out in Region (2 - e.g. European PAL, or NTSC discs from Japan) (or 3! - e.g. NTSC discs from Korea, or Taiwan) (or 4! - e.g. Australian PAL, or Brazilian NTSC discs)"... what about it, indeed!

SHEESH!!!

. . . . . .
Old 01-14-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Hendrik

Because your post was so minimalistic, it could be interpreted in a different way than you intended. Although I understood what you meant, others new to the forum may not.