How about Moonlighting?

Community
Search

How about Moonlighting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about Moonlighting?

They released the pilot years ago but I haven't heard anything more about it... does anyone know if they have plans on doing season sets?
Old 01-11-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the pilot sold very well and that's why there was only that single release.

Last edited by speedy1961; 01-12-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is, that pilot was brought out in the early days of DVD when TV-season-sets were not a proven success. They really shouldn't judge by sales from back then.
Old 01-11-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
True, but I really think this series fell into the same time warp as the Mary Tyler Moore set (read: old / possibly outdated).
Old 01-11-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by speedy1961
True, but I really think this series fell into the same time warp as the Mary Tyler Moore set (read: old / possibly outdated).
IMO, MTM didn't sell well because it was such a high priced item, at least compared to other like sets (nearly 20.00 or 25.00 more than an average set of MASH you could find on sale). Several old/outdated shows are selling well on DVD, and the last time I checked on MTM (which was just a couple days ago), it ranked in the 1700 range for top sellers at amazon.com. I know 1700 isn't phenomenal, but it seemed quite healty to me for a season set that came out over a year ago and has no prospect for a season two set.

Maybe Moonlighting fell into the same trap MTM and My So Called Life and Wonder Years did-the early releases were in the early days of DVD and simply weren't marketed well and deserve to be rethought and retackled. That worked wonders for My So Called Life. Originally thought to be a series that nobody wanted based on the sales of episodes 1-3 on DVD, BMG was eathing mammoth servings of crow once they saw the sales on the series box sets. Maybe these studios shouldn't rely on sales data from 7 years ago but get with the times and rethink these shows on DVD.

I seem to recall, however, the pilot episode did well on DVD, much like Crime Story's pilot episode sold well on DVD, and that there was talk of season sets around the same time they were talking about season sets for Crime Story. Well, we got our Crime Story season sets 3 years later, maybe it will just take a bit longer with Moonlinghting. After all, think of the music rights involved for that series.
Old 01-11-04, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just looked up on IMDB and it seems Bruce is doing a sequel to Whole Nine Yards... imaginatively called "Whole Ten Yards" Anyway, maybe this sort of thing will be what's needed to get more people to ask "where's Moonlighting?"
Old 01-12-04, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling that this is another TV series with "music-rights" issues...
Old 01-12-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waaay back (3+ years ago?), Anchor Bay addressed this in a chat. They had planned to release season sets, but (as speedy1961 says) the pilot disc sold very poorly. People were pleading with them to release seasons, basically saying that the pilot likely didn't sell well because it wasn't a full season.

Anyway, they said they would 'consider' it and that's the last I heard. I'm not sure if there is still a transcript floating around out there... it was a while ago.
Old 01-12-04, 11:48 AM

As mentioned, the pilot didn't sell well(although it was quite overpriced, at least until it became a $2.99 budget bin DVD like a lot of other early Anchor Bay titles).

Several episodes were said to be in the works, then cancelled.

The thing about Moonlighting is, as great as it was in the 80's, when they reran it on a cable channel in the 90's, it really didn't hold up. I loved the show and couldn't even watch the reruns.

I'd still buy it though. But with Anchor Bay going through the troubles they are, I think we should stop holding our breath.
Old 05-25-04, 12:01 PM

By RevKarl--

I have a feeling that this is another TV series with "music-rights" issues...

Yes that was the big issue but now it looks like they will finally release more.

I have had the great opportunity to interview many people from the show for our online publication MOONLIGHTING STRANGERS, accessed on www.moonlighting21.com.

If you are a fan of this great show, read some of our issues. There are alot of behind-the-scene stories that are not found anywhere else. The Spring/Summer 2004 issue is in the works.

Check out the link below and check out the other nine issues we have posted:

http://www.moonlighting21.com/mlarchives.html

Thanks all.

Diana