Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any VIDEO quality difference between the DD and DTS versions of Jaws?

Old 01-11-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With some of Universal's earlier releases, the DD versions had a better picture than the DTS versions. Apollo 13 is a great example. The DD is noticably sharper and more detailed; where as the DTS version has a softer, less detailed look. Waterworld was like this, as well.

Has anyone compared the DD and DTS versions as far as video?
I know Universal crammed an awful lot of material on one side of the disc.
Old 01-11-04, 11:33 AM
Banned

I saw no difference in picture quality on my DTS version...I owned the DD version...looked the same to me...the extras are exactly the same on both releases...the DTS mix is a lot better and more full...and the DTS disc actually has a dolby surround track that from the sound of it looks to be mastered directly from the original Mono track...I didnt notice any of the new sound effects in the dolby surround track...

In other words...get the DTS version!
Old 01-11-04, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I saw no difference in picture quality on my DTS version...I owned the DD version...looked the same to me...the extras are exactly the same on both releases...the DTS mix is a lot better and more full...and the DTS disc actually has a dolby surround track that from the sound of it looks to be mastered directly from the original Mono track...I didnt notice any of the new sound effects in the dolby surround track...

In other words...get the DTS version!
Can anyone else hear the difference with the Dolby Surround track. I own the DD version and I hate the redone sound effects. Films that were presented mono in theaters shouldn't be 5.1 ever. If the Dolby Surround mode does represent the original sound I might have to pick it up.
Old 01-11-04, 01:17 PM
Banned

Well...given that I've seen Jaws like 300 times...I can safely say that the Dolby Surround mix sounded a whole lot like the original mono to me...
Old 01-11-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just an FYI.....the DD version is $7.99 this week at Circuit City.
Old 01-11-04, 01:27 PM
Banned

Holy crap! Thats an unbelievable price! Well...for that price you cant go wrong...
Old 01-11-04, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
...and the DTS disc actually has a dolby surround track that from the sound of it looks to be mastered directly from the original Mono track...I didnt notice any of the new sound effects in the dolby surround track...
This is the first time I've heard anyone make this claim, and I don't think it's true. I have Jaws on LD w/ oringinal mono and the DTS DVD so when I get a chance I'll do a comparison
Old 01-11-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, this is the first time i've heard that claim too.
i highly doubt it.

the 5.1 re-mix is horrible.
foley effects that are different or dropped altogther and to what end? the ambient surround effect barely registers at all anyway.

i really wish Universal, who has put out what-17 editions of American Pie, would go to the well with this one and either make it a two disc set with the complete doc on the second disc, or drop all the extras , go with the original mono track, and remaster/ re-color time the film.

i originally owned the DD version and i recently picked up the DTS.
the DTS sound seemed a bit fuller, but hard to get excited about since its the same $hitty 5.1 re-mix.
did i mention the re-mixed audio track sucks?

other than that, i felt the video was very close, but i elected to keep the DD version and ebayed the DTS.
it may just be a placebo effect, but with all the extras on the disc, i had myself convinced that the DTS bit requirements were holding back the video end by a hair
(viewing this on a dlp FP set up- 70" wide screen )
Old 01-12-04, 06:13 AM
Banned

I just think it sounds a bit more like the original mono mix...hey this is just from a fan okay...I aint an audiophile...I've just seen the movie a ton a times...
Old 01-12-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
Can anyone else hear the difference with the Dolby Surround track. I own the DD version and I hate the redone sound effects. Films that were presented mono in theaters shouldn't be 5.1 ever. If the Dolby Surround mode does represent the original sound I might have to pick it up.
Wow... it only took 2 replies for this thread to go off topic (and onto one that has been discussed ad nauseam in other "JAWS" threads). Is that a record?
Old 01-12-04, 10:50 AM
Banned

Relax kids.

I just popped in the disc. All of the re-done sound effects are there....from the fake fire at the beginning...all the way to the nasty glass effects and retooled gunshots to kill the beast.

You don't REALLY have to be an audiophile to be able to tell such things. Maybe you should check before you make some unfounded comments like that.
Old 01-13-04, 06:13 AM
Banned

I did...I watched it when I first bought it a few months ago...I had the DD version and sold it off and bought the DTS...and maybe it was just cause it was more mono-esque...but it sounded a bit more like the original mix to me...
Old 01-13-04, 12:33 PM

for myself, I have the DTS one and the picture is quite good for a movie that old, the sount is good, and never have seen the original release with the mono track, I cannot compare, bit i'm quite pleased and satisfied with the DTS track!

some of the bonus are quite boring, especially the trivia, wich leads to nothing when you answer them all correctly???
Old 01-13-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

They're both about the same.
Old 01-13-04, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
To answer the thread topic: no, not really.
Old 01-13-04, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DavidH
Just an FYI.....the DD version is $7.99 this week at Circuit City.
FYI the DTS version is at DDD.com for 9.99...forever....until another price cut....
Old 01-13-04, 04:57 PM
Banned

Also, as a related point to the Universal issue, the DTS versions that had a degraded video quality were on the 1536 bit rate DTS discs that they no longer make. On the newer stuff they produce with the half rate DTS, the picture is the same.
Old 01-13-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, Jaws was half-bit.

How many full bit DTS titles did they make? Is there a list floating around? I'm too lazy to look for it.
Old 01-13-04, 08:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

so hands down if I have the DD version which I do..would the DTS version make that big a difference? just deciding if i should upgrade..thanks in advance.