TV Show Packaging Issues

Old 01-08-04, 11:03 AM

TV Show Packaging Issues

Basically an extension of the Wiseguy thread I just started. Why on earth can't certain studios stick to one design for the spines of their TV Shows on DVD?

On Tuesday alone, I bought Cheers and Frasier Season 2, The Shield Season 2 and Wiseguy Season 1 Part 2.

The Cheers set would have been fine without the smaller "Cheers" and red number 2. Either that or they should have started numbering the seasons from the beginning. The Frasier set is better, but there is a slight change in the design that irks me.

My problem with the other two sets is more about wording. The Shield - The Complete First Season? OK. Now we get The Shield - Season 2. Is something missing? The Wiseguy set eliminates the Season 1 Part 2 description which was advertised on Amazon, etc.

The list goes on and on (Mad About You, Futurama, the huge 2 on the Alias set, Sanford & Son seems to get bigger every season) and I'm sure several people are scared of how anal I am right about now, but I figured this was one of the only places I could vent about this and have more than a few people actually agree.

Why can't all studios use the Friends sets as an example? Of course they're on my shit list too for reusing green so soon. Ok I'm strange, I'll shut up now.
Old 01-08-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: TV Show Packaging Issues

Originally posted by TwineTime
Why can't all studios use the Friends sets as an example? Of course they're on my shit list too for reusing green so soon.
Well, I WISH that were the case. For some reason the 4 is missing from the disc case spine of my Season 4 which I purchased from Amazon.com. I guess I'm the only one who experienced this since I never saw a thread complaining about it.
Old 01-08-04, 11:27 AM

I agree with you that companies should stick with a consistent design through the series. I picked up the "Frasier S2" and "Cheers S2" on Tuesday, too.

On a related note of TV show package issues, the Groucho Marx You Bet Your Life set should have come with a slip case. I don't know how they can call it a boxed set without a "box."
Old 01-08-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: TV Show Packaging Issues

Originally posted by rfduncan
Well, I WISH that were the case. For some reason the 4 is missing from the disc case spine of my Season 4 which I purchased from Amazon.com. I guess I'm the only one who experienced this since I never saw a thread complaining about it.
I think I saw a thread about that, but I'm not sure. I just checked my set, which I bought locally, and the 4 is missing on mine too. I have mine facing the other way though, with the spine of the outer box showing, so I never even noticed that. I do agree that it's annoying when studios don't keep the packaging consistent.

Rob
Old 01-08-04, 03:40 PM

You have a problem!
In the UK, they release the CSI boxsets in part 1 and part 2, with about a 4 month gap between the releases. That means I can't get the R1 version because it will just look stupid, and I have to spend double the money.
They are doing the same with the CSI miami boxset next month, but I'm not sure if getting that yet.
Old 01-08-04, 03:46 PM

Thankfully my Friends sets are all fine, but it does seem like Warner Bros. is one of the only studios to get it. That pic of ER Season 2 proves it.
Old 01-08-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only pet peeve I actually have about the TV sets is a lack of color coordination. I like the Star Trek: TNG sets because they follow the color spectrum. But Friends annoys me because it's a seemingly random distribution of colors. Same goes for South Park (which also pisses me off because it has the text on the spine going the opposite direction from every other DVD I own). I'm not saying they should all look like a rainbow, because after a while, my collection would look a bit silly. But still...some sort of consistency would be nice.
Old 01-08-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I personally couldn't care less.
But on the plus-side, even though it switched studios, South Park season 3 has packaging that perfectly matches seasons 1 & 2 - right down to the backwards lettering on the spine.
Old 01-08-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was suprised to see that ST: TNG Season 1 only has a regualr Paramount logo, whereas all the others have the 90th anniversary logo. Since they were all 2002 releases, I wonder what happened.