Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Good Movies that will NEVER be on DVD

Good Movies that will NEVER be on DVD

Old 01-03-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm still waiting for Erik the Viking with Tim Robbins and John Cleese.

Here's a little obscurity for you...this Christmas season got me going through my movies, DVD and VHS, to find seasonal things to watch. I own this on VHS, but didn't see it anywhere on DVD with all the other seasonal DVD's: "A Wish For Wings That Work". Ring a bell? It was a made-for-TV half-hour Bloom County Christmas cartoon from 1991 on MCA/Universal label. Think that one would be a good seller?
Old 01-03-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
murmur of the heart was a great flick, if a bit controversial in the States. However, I do expect it to be released in the next couple of years- it is a very well-loved film by many people around the globe.

I'll be surpised if another recent controversial film which i haven't seen, will be released in the US on dvd by any normal dvd distributor - Ken Park i think is what it was called, by the guy who did Kids. I think i heard he might release it himself or something though.
Old 01-04-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
It sounds like a lot of the Harold Lloyd films won't make it, as his kin with rights has some pretty lofty goals of what they'd like to generate financially from the Lloyd library. But it's their fault for not better fanning his flame, to keep him up there as a strong icon of the silents.

But how great would it be oneday to see something like The Best of Harold Lloyd: The Criterion Collection.
Harold Lloyd all the way!

From Suzanne Lloyd:

know the holidays are a great time to spread cheer, and I would love nothing better than to tell you all that DVD's are on the way. But, we're all going to have to wait just a little bit longer. Contrary to the beliefs in the New York Times on Sunday, December 14th, 2003, I would like nothing more than to see Harold's films available on DVD and VHS. I don't think a day has gone by this year that I haven't worked to put a deal together. Even from my hospital bed, I was working it.

Here's the situation: It's been a great chore to find a company that wants the whole library, a company that will spend the time and money to present these films in the same manner that Turner Classic Movies televised them. I keep hearing Harold's voice in my head, “Keep the library together. Make sure the fans see quality prints, and under no circumstances use piano scores!”

The good news is we're working to release the Lloyd films in France this coming year -- DVD's, television and theatrical releases. Fans in Finland can now see Harold on television. An international DVD deal is in the works, and I hope to put together a domestic DVD deal shortly. You will be the first to know when that day comes.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 01-04-04 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-04-04, 07:26 AM

My most prized titles likely never to be released are both with (of all actors) Louis Jourdan:

Run a Crooked Mile (1969, w/Mary Tyler Moore)
Count Dracula (1977, PBS former perennial)

Pure coincidence that they both star Jourdan.

I have a VHS copy of a Beta copy of Dracula (taped from cable about 12 years ago), which looks pretty bad. Be nice to have the DVD treatment. Be nice to have Run a Crooked Mile at all -- never even released on tape (like a lot of other good tv movies from the 60s & 70s).
Old 01-04-04, 07:42 PM

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of people have expressed in this thread, that many of these movies will be realeased in time. It is just a matter of waiting for them, which can seem to take forever, but hey, we got Indiana Jones, right?

Personally if everything is going to come out some day... I can wait for somebody to dive into the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) archive... I have a Cyrano de Bergerac (on a threadbare VHS) that I would love to have on DVD... even bare bones... and hey, wouldn't have to worry about OAR... they were produced for TV!
Old 01-04-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
Howard the Duck

At least not until after Lucas dies…
That's the first film that came to my mind.
Old 01-05-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dougb222
My most prized titles likely never to be released are both with (of all actors) Louis Jourdan:

Count Dracula (1977, PBS former perennial)

I have a VHS copy of a Beta copy of Dracula (taped from cable about 12 years ago), which looks pretty bad. Be nice to have the DVD treatment.
That's really, really good. Comparable to the Langella version (which is high praise, from me.)
Old 01-05-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
$ (Dollars)
Quick Change
Twilight Zone: The Movie (If anyone has Cinemax OnDemand, its playing on there this month)
Robin Hood Men in Tights
The Late Shift
Any old WWF/WWE Pay Per Views (Wrestlemania, etc.)
Madhouse
Great White Hype

(Alright, those last two might not be GOOD per se, but I like them )

I also agree with Song of the South (maybe if Eisner gets booted), and Howard the Duck

Last edited by JoeyOhhhh; 01-05-04 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 04:30 AM

HARDWARE

Kicking and Screaming

A decent version of Lost Highway

Golgo 13: The Professional

Blade Runner SE before my 4 year lifespan runs out
Old 01-05-04, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
Howard the Duck

At least not until after Lucas dies…
Speaking of the bastard Lucas, Star Wars - the original theatrical release.
Old 01-05-04, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Lono
Mine are

Rosencranz and Guildenstern are Dead
and Rock-n-Rule
From Unearthedfilms.com:

Rock and Rule

We have been getting tons and tons of email for this title. This animated classic will be ready for a summer release in 2004. Working on all aspects of the film and figuring out what's going on with distribution for it.
Old 01-05-04, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The Day the Clown Cried" starring Jerry Lewis
Old 01-05-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Mike Long
From Unearthedfilms.com:

Rock and Rule

We have been getting tons and tons of email for this title. This animated classic will be ready for a summer release in 2004. Working on all aspects of the film and figuring out what's going on with distribution for it.
COOL! I will wait till this is confirmed (and in my hand) before I get truly excited... but still always cool to hear.
Old 01-05-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two films I'd love to see get proper DVD releases (but probably never will):

Nightmare Alley (1947, Edmund Goulding)
White Dog (1982, Sam Fuller)
Old 01-05-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the main movies that may not be released EVER are those with musical rights issues, so:
Urgh! A Music War (so many bands rights must be a nightmare) and
Decline of W. Civ Pt. 1 (not very many bands, so may be possible)
Old 01-05-04, 02:27 PM

"KISS and the Phantom of the Park"

This movie will probably never see DVD or the light of day in any form but I for one would like to have it.
Old 01-05-04, 02:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
On my list ever since I got my first DVD player:

The Band Wagon (Fred Astaire)
All the old Fred/Ginger movies
Bells are Ringing (Judy Holliday/Dean Martin)
Split Image 1982 (Karen Allen/Peter Fonda/James Woods) -- This is OOP in VHS and never shown on TV and I don't understand why.
Old 01-05-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kicking and screaming!
Old 01-05-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the sentiment that a lot of people have expressed in this thread, that many of these movies will be realeased in time. It is just a matter of waiting for them, which can seem to take forever, but hey, we got Indiana Jones, right?
saying that because IJ finally got released, that bodes well for everything else is kind of foolish.

the release of a set of blockbuster contemproary action films is a foregone conclusion.
on the other hand, minor films from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's etc are wasting away a little bit more each day.
there is no burning desire for Fox to release something like Hoopla or Call Her Savage anytime soon, and yet by the time they do they may well be falling apart.

if your film library is skewed to the last 20 yrs of films, then yeah, you will probably see evrything your heart desires released eventually.
if your tastes are broader than that the pickings are going to be much slimmer.
the more time that goes by, the more that 80's era films are going to be seen as *golden oldies* and the more that very old material is going to be increasingly seen as irrelevant and appealing only to a select few that would not justify the expense of releasing.
Old 01-05-04, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
saying that because IJ finally got released, that bodes well for everything else is kind of foolish.

if your film library is skewed to the last 20 yrs of films, then yeah, you will probably see evrything your heart desires released eventually. if your tastes are broader than that the pickings are going to be much slimmer.
the more time that goes by, the more that 80's era films are going to be seen as *golden oldies* and the more that very old material is going to be increasingly seen as irrelevant and appealing only to a select few that would not justify the expense of releasing.
this is true, However, I think of it almost like natural selection... this doesn't make old or less popular titles irrelevant, but the studios (even the smaller ones) will always make their decisions based on what they believe will sell... it is unfortunate but a fact of life.

And about Indiana Jones, I merely meant that it was something that people had been waiting for since the inception of the format and that many thought they would never see.
Old 01-05-04, 05:33 PM

"The Adams Chronicles", which was shown on PBS in the 1970's.
Old 01-05-04, 05:57 PM

Disney's Song of The South
Old 01-05-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

COUNT DRACULA (Louis Jordan) WAS released on DVD a couple of years ago in the UK by BBC Learning. It was a limited edition, in PAL, but it is a good transfer and more complete than the PBS broadcasts. I think it was region free, but I don't have it in front of me now to check.

They released HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1968) and PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (1976) at the same time, and the latter did come out in R1 as part of the Oscar Wilde Collection, so I wouldn't give up hope on the other two coming out in America.

Meanwhile, if you've got a PAL capable player, track down the UK disc of COUNT DRACULA.!
Old 01-05-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In addition to the already mentioned Quick Change and Monster Squad, I would like to see:

Night of the Comet
License to Drive and
The Explorers

Not sure why these last two have not made it since they have some of todays current stars in some of their first films, Heather Grahm, Ethan Hawke, and River Phoenix (RIP).

Night of the Comet and Monster Squad were supposed to be released in October by PHE, but have not heard anthing in a long time.
Old 01-05-04, 07:36 PM

A delightful Jennifer Jones tear jerker from the 50s, "Good Morning Miss Dove". I'd love to see it, but never will.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.