Search

Freaks and Geeks a "Go" for April Release

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Freaks and Geeks a "Go" for April Release

From FreaksandGeeks.com forums:

Dear friends, The DVD for "Freaks and Geeks" is finally coming out this April. It would not have happened without your support. So, thank you for coming through again. We will be making an official announcement in January. Here's what I can tell you now--fans who sign up on this list will be able to purchase a special limited edition collector's version of the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD. It will contain all of the episodes plus an eighty page yearbook filled with photos and fun stuff from the show, plus more extras than you can imagine. And when I say more than you can imagine, I mean it. We saved everything and will make all of it available to our hardcore fans only through this website and its mailing list. So sign up if you haven't already, and tell your friends about it as well. We will e-mail as soon as it is available. I have been working my arse off putting it together and I am really excited to get it out there for you to enjoy. So, that's the news for now. Our dream is alive!
Old 12-31-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*shudders* as the "special limited edition" available only via web gives bboisvert My So-Called Life flashbacks.
Old 12-31-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
*shudders* as the "special limited edition" available only via web gives bboisvert My So-Called Life flashbacks.
Tell me about it.

Atleast the recent Kids in the Hall release left me feeling somewhat ok with these early release w/ special item web only exclusives.
Old 12-31-03, 11:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
awesome news!
Old 12-31-03, 12:54 PM

Finally!! I will definately be picking this up!!
Old 01-01-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
What happened? I haven't heard about that...

It sounds like the only perk with the web only release of F&G is the "80-page yearbook." Since it won't be discounted like the Amazon.com release, I'm guessing it'll be a good $30-$50 more. Probably not worth it for a book you'll read once.
Old 01-01-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I want this box set. Hopefully it won't be THAT much more from the site.
Old 01-01-04, 01:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll get it. Id be willing to pay $200 for the series, so an extra $30 or so for a nice book is WELL worth it.
Old 01-01-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JuryDuty
What happened? I haven't heard about that...
If you have free time...

Thread #1: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=182354
Thread #2: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=252582

In short, an internet company (Another Universe) offered a preorder for the 'web exclusive' MSCL sets. They would charge you immediately, to generate funds to get the sets made.

By the time AU finally shipped the sets, they were already available in stores everywhere. The promised exclusives have just started to show up (2.5 years later) and many people still don't have them.

In general, the people who ordered from AU:

A. Paid about twice as much as it would have cost to buy from other stores.
B. Got double (or even triple!) charged and had to fight with AU and credit card companies.
C. Had to wait longer to get the main sets than others.
D. As mentioned, had to wait over 2+ years for the pathetic 'bonus items' (that were not even remotely worth the extra $40 that many paid).

It was a distaster. The absolute worst-case scenario for a fan release.
Old 01-02-04, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

i've seen like 3 episodes and completely enjoyed them. I'm for sure getting the set.
Old 01-02-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Praise Jesus!
Old 01-02-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I taped all of the shows when they were playing on some other network (what was it?) but I still want the extras on this one.
Old 01-02-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I taped all of the shows when they were playing on some other network (what was it?)
Fox Family.

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
I'll get it. Id be willing to pay $200 for the series, so an extra $30 or so for a nice book is WELL worth it.
I agree. I'd be willing to shell out an ungodly amount of money for this series. Easily my all-time favorite TV series and my most anticipated DVD release since I bought my player four and a half years ago.
Old 01-02-04, 09:32 AM

Now we just need Undeclared released.
Old 01-02-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that this may be the only show that I'm willing to spend quite a bit of money on...no discount needed. <gasp> I idenitified too much with a couple of the characters. The writing was so solid.
Old 01-02-04, 10:43 AM
Suspended

I wish Undeclared would be released as well... Im sure if F&G does well, maybe someone will release Undeclared (even if its only a web-exclusive)
Old 01-14-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
A great article from the Chicago Tribune on the impending DVD release.

The price tag for music rights crept into the seven figures. Yikes!
Old 01-14-04, 01:07 PM

From Judd, the creator, I believe...

"I am not sure. It'll be a bit north of a hundred bucks for the special edition, a bit south for the normal one. The special edition has six or seven hours more of extras so I think that is the bargain if you are a serious fan. The normal one has tons of stuff as well. It is not that the normal one doesn't have extras, it has a sick amount, but the special edition is insane. "

I really didn't think it would be so expensive. Gonna have to wait and see...
Old 01-14-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Adam-thanks for the update.

This is one set I'll get no matter what the price.
Old 01-17-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the cover art:

and more info:

The critically acclaimed TV show Freaks and Geeks, which was cancelled during its first season but has gone on to gain a cult following, will debut on DVD April 13 from Shout! Factory.

The six-disc set ($69.98 SRP) has all 18 episodes including three that never aired with the original music including songs by The Who, Billy Joel, The Grateful Dead and others.

Nearly 40,000 fans signed an online petition pledging to buy a DVD release of the heralded series prompting producers Paul Feig and Judd Apatow and Shout! Factory to push out the release despite music licensing issues that often bog down releases.

Apatow and Feig pulled materials and helped work on the DVD set, which will include a director's cut of the pilot episode, behind-the-scenes footage, deleted scenes, outtakes, alternate cuts, blooper reels and 28 audio commentaries by the actors, directors, network executives, crew members, obsessive fans and parents of cast members.

The DVD also contains a 28-page booklet with a Q&A with Apatow, an essay by Feig and photos.

"We're thrilled that Freaks and Geeks is finally being released on DVD, but what is most thrilling is that it is coming out with all of the original music," Apatow and Feig said in a statement. "If the guys running Shout! Factory were running NBC four years ago, we would still be on the air."

http://www.videopremiereawards.com/

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 01-17-04 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-17-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More info (some redundant to the above):

Freaks and Geeks the Complete Series

Deluxe Six Disc DVD Set Boasts All 18 Episodes With the Original Music, 28-Page Collectable Booklet and Over 40 Hours of Bonus Material Including Director's Cut Pilot Episode, 28 Audio Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, Outtakes, Cast Auditions, and Much More - in Stores April 6, 2004

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- The fans demanded it, and so it has come. The award-winning*, most critically acclaimed television series to be canceled during its first season, "Freaks and Geeks" will finally debut as a six-DVD set on April 6th from Shout! Factory and DreamWorks Television. "Funny and tender and often achingly real," (TV Guide) "Freaks and Geeks" continues to receive editorial praise and maintain an active cult following four years after the last episode aired in 2000. Starring Linda Cardellini ("E.R.," Scooby Doo 2), John Francis Daley (View from the Top, "The Geena Davis Show") and James Franco (Spider-Man, "James Dean"), "Freaks and Geeks" follows two siblings and their friends as they experience the trials and tribulations as high school outsiders in a Detroit suburb circa. 1980.

When series producers Paul Feig and Judd Apatow discovered nearly 40,000 "Freaks and Geeks" fans had signed an online petition pledging to buy a future release of the DVD, they quickly prompted executives at Shout! Factory and DreamWorks to brave the music licensing issues and commit to a Freaks and Geeks DVD release. The result is a six disc set containing all 18 episodes, three of which never aired on network television, with original music intact and over 40 hours of bonus material.

Both Apatow and Feig have provided input and pulled materials to create a truly fan-worthy DVD set, and their feelings about the project are clear. "We're thrilled that 'Freaks and Geeks' is finally being released on DVD, but what is most thrilling is that it is coming out with all of the original music. People said it would be impossible to release the show with all those great songs by artists such as The Who, Billy Joel, the Grateful Dead, and a zillion others. Shout! Factory made it happen. I don't know how they did it; I just know I love them for doing it."

Freaks and Geeks - The Complete Series DVD set is packed full of bonus materials, including a director's cut of the pilot episode with behind-the-scenes footage, deleted scenes, outtakes, alternate cuts, blooper reels and no less than 28 audio commentaries by the actors, directors, network executives, crew members, obsessive fans, and even parents of cast members. A 28-page collectable booklet contains a Q&A with Apatow, an essay by Feig and plenty of geeky photos.
Old 01-17-04, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though I liked the show, it's not a "must-own" for me. Hopefully, Costco will have it for around $40 (my personal price-point for this title.)
Old 01-17-04, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Im still willing to pay nearly $150 for this...

But HOW is this only going to be $70? X-files DVD sets have a few more episodes, but the price is usually double... How did they get the price of the set down so low yet still retain the original music? I also love the fact that they say there are three unaired episodes...they were aired, just not on network television.
Old 01-17-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple new words from the devs of this DVD set:

Q: Will the deluxe edition be released 4/6 also?
A: You will be able to pre order it starting this month, and it will arrive in mid to late April. There will be a limited amount of deluxe editions. It will be available to the people who signed the petition exclusively. After a month or so, if they are not sold out, it will become available elsewhere.
Old 01-17-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was just posted by one of the creators at freaksandgeeks.com:
How much will the deluxe set retail for? Not sure yet. I think 125. Normal one is looking like 69. Considering this will be it for Freaks related DVD products, and the deluxe has around seven more hours of stuff, I think the deluxe is well worth it for the true fan. The regular is loaded as well, we didn't make that one thin to make the other one fat, but the deluxe has some incredible stuff that won't come this way again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.