'Kramer' in On Seinfeld Extras

Old 12-29-03, 10:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

'Kramer' in On Seinfeld Extras

According to Page 6 of the NY Post on 12/29, Michael Richards will participate in the Seinfeld DVD Extras, and WON'T get paid for his participation.

Congrats to Him.

Continued Boo to Dreyfuss & Greenspan (oops ... Alexander).
I wish I had 5 lifetimes worth of moneys earned like they do.

Seperate thread seemed appropriate instead of digging thru 5 pages of another one ...

Last edited by vegasbaby; 12-29-03 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As mentioned in this 5-page thread on the topic:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=4
Old 12-29-03, 12:29 PM
Banned

Thanks for posting that. Glad I didn't have to search through that long thread on the other page.
Old 12-29-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He should get SOMETHING for his time, work, and energy. Shouldn't he? I mean these people are going to be making some money off him, he should see SOME of it.
Old 12-29-03, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
He should get SOMETHING for his time, work, and energy. Shouldn't he? I mean these people are going to be making some money off him, he should see SOME of it.
It's probably under the table.
Old 12-29-03, 12:43 PM

I don't think those people are obligated in any way to participate. They have every right to choose to do it or not, and they have every right to negotiate the best deal they can get for contributing their time if they choose. If any of them decide to do it for free, that's also their right. But they're not obligated to do anything they don't want to do.
Old 12-29-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's very cool he's doing that and I can't wait to hear his input.

I was in London this past April and went to see Arsenic & Old Lace, starring none other than Michael Richards. It was great, of course, and after the matinee show my wife & I went out eat. As we were led back to our table, who should be sitting there eating alone at small table? Michael Richards, of course. We talked to him for a while and he was the coolest, nicest guy you could imagine. He asked for our input on the show, asked about our trip, signed our program and stood up for a picture with us. The As$man could NOT have been a nicer guy...
Old 12-29-03, 01:11 PM
Banned

"He should get SOMETHING for his time, work, and energy. Shouldn't he? I mean these people are going to be making some money off him, he should see SOME of it."

No, because I will buy the set whether he participates or not. So will everyone else. He adds no financial value to the set. That is how business works.
Old 12-29-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why 'boo' people who aren't getting paid? I don't know about you, but I would not goto work if I wasn't collecting a paycheck.
Old 12-29-03, 01:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by tacomantt
Why 'boo' people who aren't getting paid? I don't know about you, but I would not goto work if I wasn't collecting a paycheck.
As talented as they are acting-wise, its the genius of Seinfeld and Larry David who created the show, that allowed Dreyfus and Alexander to become very rich.

Alexander worked Broadway for years before Seinfeld broke out (obviously making considerably less there).

Dreyfus couldnt get a job before Seinfeld (and after SNL).

I'm just of the opinion that the 2 should be gracious to participate in something that made them very rich in the 1st place. And if they cant do it for Jerry & Larry, let them do it for the audience who watched the show.
Old 12-29-03, 02:43 PM
Uber Member

I don't have a problem with them getting paid for their time to contribute to the extras.

But I believe their problem was that they felt they should be getting a larger share of the pie for their contribution to the show. Not an altogether unreasonable position.

But I agree with "boos" to the non-participants because this is probably the one chance DVD will get to obtain their perspective on the show, and I think all the people behind a production should participate as fully as possible so we don't lose what can often be very entertaining and informative show business history.
Old 12-29-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's 2 issues here....

The first... should the actors get paid for working on DVD commentaries? I believe that they SHOULD, and they SHOULD receive a percentage (even if just a tiny fraction).

The second...does the lack of a full cast commentary affect the desirability of the DVDs? I believe, NO. This is a "must-have" set for the episodes alone... any extras are just that... extra.
Old 12-29-03, 03:12 PM
Banned

"I don't have a problem with them getting paid for their time to contribute to the extras."

I do. I am not willing to pay more for a DVD to subsidize these people. Their participation is nonessential. So, if they won't do it for the sake of posterity, then they can take a hike.
Old 12-29-03, 03:20 PM
Uber Member

"I do. I am not willing to pay more for a DVD to subsidize these people."

I don't know if you ever got in on the snapper vs. amaray case discussions, but there were plenty of people who were willing to pay more to not have snapper cases.

There's something on most DVDs that someone won't care about. But it's a package deal. If you ask someone to do something for you (whether it's designing menus, making the cases, or recording a commentary) then they should be compensated for their time. That's simple economics.
Old 12-29-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its very rude in my opinion for people to demand a lot of money to basically spend a day or two helping with the extras on these sets. Its a real FU to the fans of the show. They are going to get money from the DVD sales so why wouldn't they want to add to the chance of the set selling more?
Old 12-29-03, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
"I don't have a problem with them getting paid for their time to contribute to the extras."

I do. I am not willing to pay more for a DVD to subsidize these people. Their participation is nonessential. So, if they won't do it for the sake of posterity, then they can take a hike.
Well, with all due respect, I'm glad you're not putting this DVD together. Or any other that I'm excited about. I, for one, would love to hear their comments on the show. I agree that it was Seinfeld and David that created the show, but I'm sure there's a lot of each person's contribution in each of their characters. I'd love to hear what they added. For me, that's worth an extra couple of bucks per set.
Old 12-29-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
Its very rude in my opinion for people to demand a lot of money to basically spend a day or two helping with the extras on these sets. Its a real FU to the fans of the show. They are going to get money from the DVD sales so why wouldn't they want to add to the chance of the set selling more?
You are assuming that they will get a percentage of the sales. If they do, then I agree with you, anything to make it more desireable would be a good thing.

But based on the original article (or what I remember of it), those 3 wanted a percentage...which implied that they WEREN'T going to receive a percentage of the DVD sales.
Old 12-29-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have to recieve residuals for Home Video and Syndication. It would be against Union rules if they didn't. I think its a case of them wanting even more than they are suppose to get in their contracts.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/R/.../residuals.htm
Old 12-29-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'm sure EVERYONE in this forum would work for free because "it's the right thing to do."

Regardless of how much more money these people made than any of us, it doesn't discount the contribution they made to the show. To sit here and say that the show would have succeeded without any of them is a joke. It may have been Seinfeld and David's baby, but it is unlikely this show would have been anywhere near as popular without these actors.

Will I buy the sets without their commentary? Probably. Does this mean they don't have a right to expect proper compensation. No.

I would like to welcome those who think they should "just do it" to the real world.
Old 12-29-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I was on a TV show than made me a millionaire and jump started my career I would have no trouble giving something back to the fans and do the commentaries for free. Needing extra money for it when you are already going to get residuals from the DVD set is greedy and a real insult to the fans that helped make you a millionaire.

I'm always shocked at how greedy millionaires are. When do you have enough money?
Old 12-29-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
I'm always shocked at how greedy millionaires are. When do you have enough money?
Funny... I'll bet there are people who make less than you wondering why you make so much.
It all depends on our point-of-view.

From the original article:

"A complicating factor is that "Seinfeld" is now owned by a handful of corporate entities. After the original "Seinfeld" deal was negotiated, Castle Rock Television was bought by Turner Broadcasting, which was bought by Time Warner. This means that Time Warner, Columbia TriStar Television, Castle Rock, Mr. Seinfeld and Mr. David will all take profits from the DVD."

I have trouble understanding how people can bad-mouth the actors for wanting their fair-share and yet give a pass to the corporations who will be getting a piece-of-the-action solely because they had their hand in the changing of ownership.

Last edited by sracer; 12-29-03 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe this. I am amazed that many of you who will seemingly work for free. Someone called it 'rude' to ask for money for work. Just because a person may have a lot of money does not make them obligated to do pro-bono work.

Time is money. My time, your time, an actors time -- all have a dollar value associated with it.

I just do not understand many of these replies demanding that Julia and Jason do work for free. It's insane. I'm drywalling and painting my living room next week - wanna come over for a few hours for free?

I stand by my original post - why 'boo' a person when they won't get paid for their time?

Last edited by tacomantt; 12-29-03 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news! Kramer was my favorite character, so it's great news that Michael Richards will participate in the DVD extras. It would be nice for the other two to join, but...if not, these sets will be mine!
Old 12-29-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Excellent point tacoman. For those complaining -- if it is such a big deal, why don't those corporations, which have many times more money than any of the actors, just pay the actors from their own coffers and forgo their revenues. After all, the corps don't have anything to do with the creative process, except perhaps messing it up every once in a while, and are just freeloaders.
Old 12-29-03, 11:28 PM

The more money I make, the more valuable my time becomes... I would want paid as well.

Lets see what you would do if you made over 200 grand a year. Let alone 2.5 million....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.