Reccomendations anyone?

Old 12-28-03, 07:50 AM
Gig

Reccomendations anyone?

right ive recieved a few vouchers for christmas and im looking to a buy a few dvd's with the cash. shrek for 9 looks very appealing! can anyone give any thoughts on it as a film? jurrasic park and the lost world too for 15 any thoughts? thankyou in advance!
Old 12-28-03, 05:28 PM

Got a collection link? Might help to know your tastes in film.

Shrek is generally well liked by most but it wasn't my cup of tea exactly so I won't talk about that much.

Jurassic Park is great entertainment, best dinosaurs on film even to this day. Lost World was quite horrid...
Old 12-28-03, 06:16 PM

Yeah, having some ideas about your tastes would help. I thought the Jurassic sequels were also lousy; I'd definitely skip The Lost World. Personally I can't see watching Jurassic Park all that many times, and I try to pick up films on DVD (rather than renting them) when I think I'm going to watch them several times.

I don't know if it'd be cheap in the UK being a UK film, but if you haven't seen Dog Soldiers, it's quite a good action-horror film.

The 2-DVD set for Who Framed Roger Rabbit is excellent, with a commentary that was pretty enjoyable and a lot of other extras.
Old 12-29-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jurrasic Park rocks.
Old 12-29-03, 12:24 PM

I second DOG SOLDIERS. Watched it last evening for the first time and really enjoyed it -- especially the nods to ZULU and AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON.

JURASSIC PARK has great replay value; ROGER RABBIT just doesn't do it for me.

As others have said, having some idea of your tastes might make it easier to recommend titles to you. TRAINSPOTTING is available in a fantastic UK edition, so if you're into dark humor, debauchery, recreational drug use, and bursts of violence, you might like it. Ditto TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.
Old 12-29-03, 12:50 PM
Gig

well i would post up my collection but im not sure how to...well i bought jurassic park and the lost world for 15 in a pack from HMV it works out at about $20 i think. not bad price really. I also bought shrek for 9 which is $13. can anyone post on how to set up a page listing a collection or should i do it in my sig?
Old 12-29-03, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Gig
well i would post up my collection but im not sure how to...well i bought jurassic park and the lost world for 15 in a pack from HMV it works out at about $20 i think. not bad price really. I also bought shrek for 9 which is $13. can anyone post on how to set up a page listing a collection or should i do it in my sig?
Here's the 3 cataloging services most people here use:

Guzzlefish
DVD Aficionado
DVD Profiler
Old 12-29-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to DVD Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 12-29-03, 05:39 PM
Gig

ive actually got dog soldiers on dvd. I last watched it on a 14 inch tv with no surround sound so im not sure how its going to sound on a larger and better setup.