Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to be addicted to DVDs, like Drugs or Alcohol?

Old 12-28-03, 02:08 AM
Suspended

I have a friend who I belive is addicted to DVDs. He HAS to buy a DVD almost every time he visits a place that sells them or he has a panic attack. He's even on medication for them (the Panic Attacks, not the DVDs) So do any of you think it is possible to be addicted to DVDs?
Old 12-28-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I don't have thousands of DVDs (only hundreds) like some of the people on the board, it is apparent that some people must have an addiction to DVD. Plus, it's a better addiction than drugs or booze. At least DVDs aren't "hazardous to your health," yet.
Old 12-28-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People can be addicted to shopping or buying things.

The act of buying something can create a feeling of excitement.

People use what is called retail therapy as a way of enjoying themselves. The normally buy items for which they have a need or have developed a desire for. Compulsive or addictive shopping is not like that, it is a form of behaviour designed to avoid unpleasant reality, and is accompanied by a high which causes the sufferer to lose control and buy many items for which they have no need. The adrenaline rush, the fantasy which surrounds the episode and everything which precedes the actual spending spree all add to the sense of unreality which brings a false sense of freedom from life's problems.

How common is it?
It is difficult to ascertain the full extent of this problem as statistics have not been compiled, although it is known that more people are identifying this as a problem and seeking professional help.

How do I know if I have it?
As with all addictions, the resulting overwhelming sense of shame, remorse and guilt accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, lead to despair. Often the remedy for the despair is more addictive behaviour resulting in more self destructive feelings. The consequences of shopping addiction are obvious: high levels of debt, fear of discovery and retribution leading to more denial and desperate acts to cover up the behaviour. For those closely connected to the sufferer life becomes frightening and unpredictable with a growing sense of uselessness and the belief that the sufferer is deliberately causing chaos and a feeling of desperation sets in.

http://www.addictions.co.uk/addiction.asp?ID=shop
Old 12-28-03, 04:11 AM

Not Me!
Old 12-28-03, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, there was that one time I tried to shove my copy of Glitter into my bong. Didn't work, so I melted it on a spoon and free based the mofo.

But addicted? Naaaaaaaaaa.
Old 12-28-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It is possible to be addicted to anything. dvd collecting is no exception.
Old 12-28-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely. If a person has an addictive personality, they can become obsessed with just about anything. As long as it does not become financially taxing, there are a lot worse things to become addicted to.

I know many people I would consider addicted. How about those that have to have everything in a series, be it all Star Trek movies & shows, all Twilight Zones, or all Criterion DVDs? I think that these completists are just a step away from being addicts.
Old 12-28-03, 10:09 AM

Hello,

My name is Nethead and I am a DVD addict.

It has been 1 hour since I bought my last DVD.
Old 12-28-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of think - and no offense to this wonderful, awe-inspiring place - that dvdtalk helps perpetuate people's addictions.... namely my own, which is growing every day. I mean... you guys are my homepage, and it's as if I can't help but look for another crazy deal everyday!!
Old 12-28-03, 10:35 AM

I tried going to a DVDA meeting, but it turned out to be a concert by the South Park guys.
Old 12-28-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Max Bottomtime
I tried going to a DVDA meeting, but it turned out to be a concert by the South Park guys.

Where is the freaking Orgazmo SE DVD btw?
Old 12-28-03, 12:01 PM

I generally subscribe to the compulsive shopper theory rather than drug/alcohol addiction. Why? Well generally speaking alcohol and drug addiction requires 2 things, a physical and psychological dependancy. The psychological one can easily be linked for sure, however unless you always feel sick or feel you are on the verge of death, when you don't buy a dvd, then there is no physical dependancy present.

All of what Gcribbs said is true, however he did leave out the physical aspect out.
Old 12-28-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's some sort of secret subliminal code on DVDs. I have my own buying habits (which is buying more than I should), but a friend of mine convinced me of the secret subliminal code!

He's basically a thrifty, money-wise person (cheap bastard) who held off on getting a DVD player until last month, a gift for his wife. At the time of purchase, he commented that he was concerned that his wife would now start 'wasting money' by buying DVDs. He felt ownership of such things was stupid when renting is so easy.

Within a week of their watching the first DVD, he called to tell me that he's been looking around Target (ick) and other stores for deals on DVDs! They've purchased a number of new DVDs already! This goes against his nature (and he's in his 40's, so it's not like he's an impressionable kid). Christmas brought more DVDs because that seems to be all anyone in the family wanted (except the kids, who wanted everything).

Are DVDs addicting? Is there a 'secret subliminal code' that forces us to buy more? Hmmm!!
Old 12-28-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely. Why not.

There's a fine line, I think, between someone who is seriously into DVD buying... and a DVD addict.

The key is whether DVDs are a healthy part of your life, or a black hole of bad things.

It is not hard to imagine someone, for instance, getting way over their head into DVDs and doing self-destructive things like taking days off from work to watch new DVDs, and eventually losing their job, or not being able to keep a job because of all the time they need for film buying, DVDTalk, and shopping. Might not seem like a big deal, calling in sick a day or two to, say, watch a new box set... but except it absolute moderation, something like this can only hinder your overall career.

Or, breaking their budget or simply not having a budget and getting into sever debt because of DVD purchases and equipment to play them on. First, the credit cards pile up with large charges from things like the DDD 20% off sale. Huindred or thousands of dollars you don't have, perhaps. Then, combined with your 24 no-interest Plasma screen or FPTV, and a limited income... it's a serious financial problem.

I think I know a couple people who have a combined Home Theater/DVD addiction that is unhealthly for them.

-Beebs
Old 12-28-03, 02:08 PM

regardless of the format....it's the films that I'm addicted to and I've been a junkie since about 5 years old. it's them that I collect...the dvd just comes along with it. being addicted to skydiving is a little more serious. I doubt dvd will cause me to splatter myself all over the cornfield.
Old 12-28-03, 02:20 PM

It's a conspiracy...

Old 12-28-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4 years ago almost to the day (Dec 1999) I bought my first couple of DVDs and my DVD player. (FYI: The Matrix, X-Files: FTF, Star Trek 7-9). I didn't buy another DVD for 10 months because I didn't really want to "waste" money on DVDs, I decided on buying loads of computer hardware instead.

I bought a couple of DVDs in 2001 but only like 5 or 6. Then the following Christmas (Dec. 2001), I bought Xfiles season 3 & 4. That basically started my movie addiction, I ended up buying Season 2 a couple weeks later.

In 2002, I bought almost 30 DVDs, 5 times what it had been just a year earlier.

This year, I became re-energized after using that CYCD Columbia House code, but I didn't have any money at the time. Then in July I found this site and the huge Columbia House forum and ways of getting DVDs really cheap. Since July I've had 8 accounts, had it not been for Columbia House I probably wouldn't have the collection I have because of the price of DVDs.

This year has been big for me, I've bought over 120 DVDs, a couple of those being TV seasons but next year I'm only planning on getting another 20-30, completing my film collection and then I'll start getting all the Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY seasons.

I don't think I'm a compulsive buyer, I don't plan on buying another DVD until March (Schindler's List) unless there's some insanely good deal on the DVDs on my "To Buy" list.
Old 12-28-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by spongebobkay
Not Me!

That's great!!!
Old 12-28-03, 03:17 PM

He only has a problem if you find a DVD up his nose.
Old 12-28-03, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
People can be addicted to shopping or buying things.

The act of buying something can create a feeling of excitement.

People use what is called retail therapy as a way of enjoying themselves. The normally buy items for which they have a need or have developed a desire for. Compulsive or addictive shopping is not like that, it is a form of behaviour designed to avoid unpleasant reality, and is accompanied by a high which causes the sufferer to lose control and buy many items for which they have no need. The adrenaline rush, the fantasy which surrounds the episode and everything which precedes the actual spending spree all add to the sense of unreality which brings a false sense of freedom from life's problems.

How common is it?
It is difficult to ascertain the full extent of this problem as statistics have not been compiled, although it is known that more people are identifying this as a problem and seeking professional help.

How do I know if I have it?
As with all addictions, the resulting overwhelming sense of shame, remorse and guilt accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, lead to despair. Often the remedy for the despair is more addictive behaviour resulting in more self destructive feelings. The consequences of shopping addiction are obvious: high levels of debt, fear of discovery and retribution leading to more denial and desperate acts to cover up the behaviour. For those closely connected to the sufferer life becomes frightening and unpredictable with a growing sense of uselessness and the belief that the sufferer is deliberately causing chaos and a feeling of desperation sets in.

http://www.addictions.co.uk/addiction.asp?ID=shop
I honestly have this disorder. Most of my DVDs are sealed and blind buys. The movies I buy I think I'll enjoy when I finally get around to watching them.
Old 12-28-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dryars
however unless you always feel sick or feel you are on the verge of death, when you don't buy a dvd, then there is no physical dependancy present.
Okay that just makes no sense. Take a look further down on the forum page and youll notice that DVDs are one of the causes of a members' divorce. And Im sorry, but if you are spending money on DVDs when you need to pay the utility bill or some other PHYSICAL world item then you have a problem.

And someone mentioned that DVDTalk seems to be the "urge" behind their always looking for the best deal, well no $HIT sherlock.
Old 12-28-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some one should start a you might be addicted to DVD's when...

YOU spend your food money on DVD's instead of buying food for the family... you might be addicted to DVD's...

The house payment can wait another month so you can buy the Alien Quad, Indy Trilogy, Band of Brothers, Escape From New York SE, Monty Python the Complete Series, etc... you might be addicted to DVD's...

add your own...

Pay your over due parking ticket or get Bad Boys 1 & 2... hmmm you might be addicted...

IF you can't afford to DRINK beer anymore, you might be addicted to DVD's...
Old 12-28-03, 05:44 PM
Banned

Yes, it is possible to be addicted to dvds. If you use dvds as a source of comfort, just as people use drugs and alcohol, or just as infants sucking on their thumbs -- their thumbs representing their mother's breast -- then you are addicted to dvds...
Old 12-28-03, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by d2cheer
Some one should start a you might be addicted to DVD's when...

YOU spend your food money on DVD's instead of buying food for the family... you might be addicted to DVD's...

The house payment can wait another month so you can buy the Alien Quad, Indy Trilogy, Band of Brothers, Escape From New York SE, Monty Python the Complete Series, etc... you might be addicted to DVD's...

add your own...

Pay your over due parking ticket or get Bad Boys 1 & 2... hmmm you might be addicted...

IF you can't afford to DRINK beer anymore, you might be addicted to DVD's...
If you look forward to receiving AOL discs in the mail just for the case, you may be addicted.

If you place all the pan 'n scam DVDs behind the widescreen ones at the store, you may be addicted.

If you can say that watching TV is your hobby with a straight face, you may be addicted.

If you are late for work every Tuesday, you may be addicted.

If you understand posts by Danol, you may be addicted.
Old 12-28-03, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Okay that just makes no sense. Take a look further down on the forum page and youll notice that DVDs are one of the causes of a members' divorce. And Im sorry, but if you are spending money on DVDs when you need to pay the utility bill or some other PHYSICAL world item then you have a problem.

And someone mentioned that DVDTalk seems to be the "urge" behind their always looking for the best deal, well no $HIT sherlock.
Do you even know what a physical dependancy is? Look it up in a dictionary somewhere and maybe then will you understand what I said. If you still don't understand then I will try and explain it to you with as little words as possible.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.